Is it an elitist thing?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a long time OFP player. That being said, I had high hopes for ArmA when it came to overall stability. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, as BIS seemed to include as many bugs in this rehash as they did in OFP. Not too mention the fact that the game runs like a bag of ass on my rig, and yes, I have the full version (German). It's quite obvious the engine is highly unoptimized at the moment, which can be seen in the major issues revolving around foliage, and the subsequent massive drop in frame-rates when encountering various forms such as bushes, trees, and certain types of grass.

AMD 64 X2 5000+

3G RAM

Radeon X1900

well the problem is your end, cos my system is half the strength of yours and it runs fine.

Actually, it isn't. I'd suggest you refer to the BIS ArmA troubleshooting forums to get an idea as to what is plaguing the game at present. I'm getting tired of that supposed explanation. You've just reiterated the same BS that has encompassed every single last post regarding preformance issues over at the BIS forums. Well, as it looks now, BIS is reviewing the engine as a whole, and seeking out the major memory, graphical leaks, etc that seem to affect people with gaming systems. There are those with high-end rigs that experience no problems at all, while others do. There are people with lesser systems that experience no problems what so ever, while others with like boxes do. Why do some with outdated AGP cards have better preformance than those with brand spankin' new PCI cards? NO ONE KNOWS.

I'll refer to this:

I want to stress that overall I am happy with the game's performance. My only issue is the large drop in performance around certain foliage objects. I don't experience this high\low performance drop around any other objects\situations in the game.

Again, not all of the foliage causes this large of a drop, refer to NoRSu's post on page 6 of this thread. And I don't experience it around buildings, player models or vehicles.

Rivatuner for FPS graph. Video Memory Watch for vid mem usage (I'm not using maxmem for this test, didn't have much of an effect when I did), here are my results:

foliage1nt3.jpg

foliage2py9.jpg

settingstb9.jpg

I have done this same test using Very High Textures - 120MB of memory available on the card, clearly not maxed out.

high: 47 FPS

low: 27 FPS

Shading detail, followed by Texture detail have the most affect on the foliage performance.

With texture details at normal and shading detail at low I still experience the drop, but overall performance is increased enough that I don't notice it. Setting texture details to low further increases performance overall, so the foliage drop is barely noticeable. However, setting texture detail to low is like jumping back to OFP. Doing this because of a performance drop suffered ONLY around some (not all..) foliage models.. does kinda suck .

The drop, though diminished at low settings, will be noticable if you're fighting in a city with 60+ AI, a couple of tanks..and you happen to dive into a bush.

My very midrange specs:

AMD 4200 X2

Nvidia 7900GS 256mb

2 gig RAM

10 000rpm WD Raptor

X-FI

500 watt PSU

Nvidia 93.71

Driver Settings:

High Performance mipmap setting.

All trilinear and anisotropic optimization settings enabled (I have tried disabled as well, no difference).

EDIT: Drop is experienced around the majority of foliage that is "enterable" - meaning foliage that the player can pass through.

Dmitri's post that has been reposted time and time again. The devs, such as Suma, have totally avoided it and have refused to comment because it shows a major flaw in the way the engine uses VRAM and available system memory.

I don't like being a beta tester.

BIS

Edited by Marines

I don't like being a beta tester.

Agh, everyone, quit saying that. Beta is a name stage in development. When the game developers say they're past beta, they are. Maybe try...

'I don't like being treated like a beta tester'

'This seems like a beta'

'They shouldn't have left beta until they resolved this'

:wall:

Not trying to create a blue with you Marines...but as I said before and is true. The problem is at your end somewhere, cos my lower end system duznt have the problem. Maybe it has to do with you computer specs and a bug it creates, but it is still a problem at your end whch BIS needs to address.

sorry if you took it as a direct attack...not the intention.

Its very hard to compare 2 pc's, ok the CPu's can be compared but then you have to take into account memory and type, motherboard, bios versions, drivers, other stuff running on the pc, hard drives, and on and on and on so while something may well be a better and faster machine there may be some part of that complete setup that is holding it back, personally i'm getting in the mid 30's fps and its running fine on an xp3700 with an nvidia 7800gtx 512meg card but somebody else with the same card and cpu may have problems due to the reasons above.

Not trying to create a blue with you Marines...but as I said before and is true. The problem is at your end somewhere, cos my lower end system duznt have the problem. Maybe it has to do with you computer specs and a bug it creates, but it is still a problem at your end whch BIS needs to address.

sorry if you took it as a direct attack...not the intention.

It certainly wasn't my intention to be combative, mate. It's simply that ArmA either likes your setup or it doesn't. Again, there are plenty of people that have like systems and experience no problems, while others do. There are also those with less than comparable/modern systems that have no problems what so ever, while others do. Just take a look at some of those BIS threads. Members with C2D based rigs with one or two plus gigs of RAM, and high-end cards have massive problems. And there is no one person that can explain why these issues are so diverse and complex.

A few have have looked into the code, and found that ArmA may have been developed upon less than modern computers, using the older OPFlash (OFE), and thus the seemingly better preformance on older comps.

Its very hard to compare 2 pc's, ok the CPu's can be compared but then you have to take into account memory and type, motherboard, bios versions, drivers, other stuff running on the pc, hard drives, and on and on and on so while something may well be a better and faster machine there may be some part of that complete setup that is holding it back, personally i'm getting in the mid 30's fps and its running fine on an xp3700 with an nvidia 7800gtx 512meg card but somebody else with the same card and cpu may have problems due to the reasons above.

Nvidia users are also experiencing problems, however, most of them are related to the 8800.

You may get better preformance (10-20+ frames) by rolling your drivers back. This seems to work for most.

Cheers!

Bryan

Edited by Marines