Is it an elitist thing?

I see now - when Pritzl said he was getting a bunch of kills and his other teammates weren't I thought he meant other live COOPers.

Havent tried with just friendly AI - that would be a major task.

As Bueghler said though, it is a MP Demo designed to be executed by humans not AI.

And Pritzl - ArmA will be much more fun online then it ever could be offline - join us.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sussed why you're having a hard time, I think. The squad control commands were broken in gently in flashpoint, you're taking on the role of squad commander right from the start and its not easy to start with, after a while though ordering the units around is much easier and they do tend to do as theyre told.

That is the first reasonable argument I've heard thus far. With a command system as complex as the one in ArmA, some sort of detailed, step-by-step tutorial is sorely needed.

I would agree. Doing squad command (especially with the AI) is DAUNTING.

You can say that again!

But let's remember that this is a multi-player demo. Drawing conclusions or making criticisms about what the single-player game will play like based on this seems just a bit inappropriate to me.

Yes, but this is a demo. It's supposed to showcase the game, not just the game's MP. Besides, how different will SP be exactly? There is a good chance the demo mission is just a coop version of an SP mission. Things like friendly AI (mis)behaviour are not going to radically change between the two modes right?

not everyone is going to want to play the game that obsessively. A lot of the charm of Ghost Recon, (the game which we all have in common here, I should hope,) was the way it valued fun over punishing realism.

BINGO! Like I said, I understand and even respect the "hardcore" bend taken with ArmA but am just surprised at how inflexible the settings are that they disallow pretty much all options that even remotely temper the realism factor.

The commands have slightly changed mate, the worst bit is not being able to split your squad into coloured groups and give them separate tasks :(

Granted, I've admitted I'm no expert at ArmA (or OFP for that matter) but I do know you can still do that. It's the "Assign" entry on the main command menu.

Havent tried with just friendly AI - that would be a major task.

You have no idea! :wall:

As Bueghler said though, it is a MP Demo designed to be executed by humans not AI.

While quite possible, it is also possible that this is just a regular SP mission cleared for coop use.

And Pritzl - ArmA will be much more fun online then it ever could be offline - join us.

I would except I just don't have the time to dedicate to yet another online game. It's a commitment I just can't make at the moment.

The commands have slightly changed mate, the worst bit is not being able to split your squad into coloured groups and give them separate tasks :(

Yes you can - hold the spacebar down, use the mouse-wheel to select units and assign them to different coloured groups. It's a different way of doing things, but the functionality is still there.

Edited by Trident-za

Thanks for clearing that up mate, I didnt know about the spacebar quickmenu, looks like theres a bug in the system, on the german version until you've made a group with that quick menu there isnt an assign on the squad menu, once you've got one though it does show up.

Do you think you'll all be migrating to ArmA then Warbird?

We will be adding it as another title to play as a team and possibly compete with (if this ever comes to be a competive title) but we will remain a VBS1 team :) with other odd games thrown in for good measure.

|RE|Warbird

There are ways to alter the difficulty. Go to My Documents\ArmA Demo\ and there should be a file called "your name.ArmAProfile". Open it in notpad add this this:

class Difficulties

{

class regular

{

class Flags

{

Armor=1;

FriendlyTag=1;

EnemyTag=0;

HUD=1;

HUDPerm=1;

HUDWp=1;

HUDWpPerm=1;

AutoSpot=1;

Map=1;

WeaponCursor=1;

AutoGuideAT=1;

ClockIndicator=1;

3rdPersonView=1;

Tracers=1;

UltraAI=0;

AutoAim=0;

UnlimitedSaves=1;

};

skillFriendly=0.750000;

skillEnemy=0.500000;

precisionFriendly=0.750000;

precisionEnemy=0.350000;

};

class veteran

{

class Flags

{

HUD=1;

HUDWp=1;

HUDWpPerm=1;

WeaponCursor=0;

ClockIndicator=1;

3rdPersonView=1;

Tracers=1;

UltraAI=0;

};

skillFriendly=0.850000;

skillEnemy=0.850000;

precisionFriendly=0.850000;

precisionEnemy=0.850000;

};

};

I don't know if it matters where you put it, but I inserted it before "class Identity". It really does make a difference, I tried some different values for "precisionEnemy", at 0.150000 they could hardly hit anything. The default value for regular skill is 0.750000 which seems pretty high considering veteran is 0.850000.

Thanks, but it's a day too late.

I've just finally managed to get through the coop mission offline. Took the 12th try and 6 casualties to get through it but I finally did it. Killed 22 riflemen, 3 machine gunners, 2 AT guys, a squad leader and a BRDM personally to get through it though. It's funny that in spite of all the efforts to promote teamwork, ultimately a Rambo-style performance was necessary.

I can see this game being a very addictive online title but the offline will only appeal to masochists who have the time to devote to learning all the ins and outs and beating the odds. (like myself, a few years ago. I just don't have it in me anymore though)

It's funny that in spite of all the efforts to promote teamwork, ultimately a Rambo-style performance was necessary.

In OFP1, at least, once you got used to the commands your AI could actually be frighteningly effective. The commands available made them especially good for ambushes. You could have a whole team hiding with a Go Prone order, and go to a elevated vantage point with another, smaller squad. Put everybody on that team on Keep Low (which, if I remember properly, made your teammates follow your posture, prone/crouched as you were). You could then, from your viewpoint, assign individual targets for your whole team, wait for your idea moment, and then put everyone on open fire and Keep Low. After the first bunch was cut down, Engage at Will to mop up the stragglers, and you'd have taken out a sizable enemy force with little-no losses.

Dunno about equivalent commands in ArmA, though. :(

I've seen pretty much all those commands in ArmA so I suppose they're still available. However, that's just far too much micromanagement imo. e.g. why in the world would I need to tell a seasoned soldier when to go prone and when to crouch? I think two (or perhaps three at the most) general ROE stances is more than sufficient to cover most combat situations. I prefer leaving the details of how to follow them to the individual soldiers.

e.g. Say there were only two options: Stealth and Aggressive. When I call for "stealth" they should "keep low" and only fire when fired upon. Alternatively, when I call for "aggressive" they should be "aware", "stand up/stay crouched" as appropriate and engage any enemy they spot.

GRAW might be missing those ROE's and I lament that dearly, but in contrast I think they did a great job with the AI autonomy in that game. In [GR] at least you could do the babysitting manually by switching to the desired ghost and though I despised that too, it's nowhere near as frustrating as ArmA's AI.

And then there are the bugs. And I thought GRAW was glitchy! On average, 50% of my move commands are completely ignored and 25% end up sending the guys somewhere completely unexpected. I even lost one mission after penetrating the town and then making the mistake of sending one of my men up onto a roof to secure it so I could get a better vantage point. He got stuck on the stairs and I couldn't get past him. Meanwhile, one of the other guys was at the bottom of the stairs and I couldn't get past him either. So I was stuck too and had to abort the mission as no order at all managed to budge either AI.

As it stands now, there are just far too many commands and AI issues to let me be in the moment and enjoy the game itself. I'm too busy micromanaging (and cursing!) to be immersed. Whenever I'm playing, I get the feeling I'm in a test of some sort rather than having fun. Actually, that's incorrect. I've had more fun in some tests than I do trying to play this game! :lol:

In short, challenging and interesting game, marred by a few inexplicable design choices, (0.75 accuracy is default?) an overly convoluted control scheme and some AI bugs/quirks to the point where a lot of the fun is drained out of the game. Thanks, I'll pass.

well, in quite a few missions, you can switch between soldiers in arma ( although, atleast in ber 1.0, there's a bug in that...)

Like I said, that is a distant second to having AI competent enough to do the tasks I set them on their own. ATM, at least in the demo, they are horribly inept.

yeah, i know.

although, i haven't had many problems with the ai in arma, a few stupid things, of course, but then again, i've seen human players do stupider things ( even done a few of em myself...)

though, the fact that i knew the command struktore and how to use it from ofp might help quite a bit on that...

haven't tried the demo yet, since i've got the full ver of it, but you get some training of command in the full ver campaign.

The AI were never that great, but sometimes they surprise you and do something awesome. There are plenty of game enhancement mods for OFP that tweak the AI, so I'm sure somebody will get those running for ArmA.

On that note have you got ArmA yet, or are you planning on getting it?

My good man, I would not even consider insulting the Armed Assault demo by pretending it could run on my PC. Nor would I put my PC through such a humiliating ordeal as having the Armed Assault demo laugh at its pitiful attempts to run it.

I will probably buy a new computer someday.

Someday.

:'(

Speaking of computers, do any of you still play OFP? I may be back on a computer that can run it in a couple of weeks, and I'm considering replacing my old copy.

A fair number of people still do, and the volume and the quality of the mods available is an easy match for Ghost Recon... With some of the mods from the 'Best Add-On List' the game gets a complete make-over that adds:

· new animations

· high resolution textures

· new Foley

· DirectX render backplane configuration

· leaning

· new maps/islands

· new vehicles

· new weapons & equipment

· new high resolution foliage

...in essence updating the game and bringing it much closer to the current state-of-the-art; not to mention offers you virtually every weapon on the planet handsomely rendered, almost every operational military unit in and out of existence, and tens of thousands of realistic SP, COOP and adversarial missions...

OFP can be a bit of a headache, but the game offers a lot of unique 'gee wiz' moments; that can make it worth the effort.

:thumbsup:

...in essence updating the game and bringing it much closer to the current state-of-the-art; not to mention offers you virtually every weapon on the planet handsomely rendered, almost every operational military unit in and out of existence, and tens of thousands of realistic SP, COOP and adversarial missions...

OFP can be a bit of a headache, but the game offers a lot of unique 'gee wiz' moments; that can make it worth the effort.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I know, I used to have all of that. My old disk just wore down after a bit of abuse. :rofl: