Hints of a game to come from BFS....

Does the last image on this page have anything to do with the project mentioned?

http://www.blackfootstudios.com/pages/portfolio-02.htm#

No, that was a remake of R6's Amazon map in the Raven Shield engine. I did that for a very specific product pitch that didn't get picked up by a certain company. Those with an imagination might figure out what it was.

It has nothing to do with the current project.

-John

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the last image on this page have anything to do with the project mentioned?

http://www.blackfootstudios.com/pages/portfolio-02.htm#

No, that was a remake of R6's Amazon map in the Raven Shield engine. I did that for a very specific product pitch that didn't get picked up by a certain company. Those with an imagination might figure out what it was.

It has nothing to do with the current project.

-John

I know who and what that is/was for. Shame that they don't want to do that. Their loss if ya ask me. I think it would be a big seller.

As i read through and people try to guess what sf detachment this game will be about. Has the idea of multiple or many different sf/infantry divisions and teams all being in the same game?

...I may be way off base or missed 20 post with the same question. Would you be able to confirm or deny that json?

Has the idea of multiple or many different sf/infantry divisions and teams all being in the same game?

I'm a little wary to reply to this, but at the hopes I'm not stepping on any of John's toes, from what I understand it is a single non-standard (but quite real) group that is not based on a military branch of any sort. Sort of like Team Rainbow.

It's an actual unit, but the men are drawn from many different branches of the military.

I believe someone got pretty close in this thread, and there is actually a hint in this very post. :whistle:

-John

something like JSOTF ?

/edit oh i see the "hint" as in your name :P

Haha... It's snow! Seriously, I pulled it from something I was using in a presentation. It's from the game though.

Umm...thinking about presentation John...any luck with that one we "talked" about or was it all stunned mullets in the audience?

@rest of GR.net :P

It's an actual unit, but the men are drawn from many different branches of the military.

I believe someone got pretty close in this thread, and there is actually a hint in this very post. :whistle:

-John

For the second time people

The Unit is CIA Special Activities Division (SAD)

The operators are members of Navy Seals, Delta Force, Army Special Forces, Rangers, Marines force Recon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Activities_Division

But then again, I can be wrong lol

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

-John

You condescend like as if you info is confirmed. :huh:

-John

You condescend like as if you info is confirmed. :huh:

No is not confirmed

But its the only US unit that I can find with the little info John gave us

But I said above I can be wrong

As a matter of fact Im confuse now because there is a chance that I overlooked other units

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

It's "The Unit" from the hit CBS TV show... :P

Sorry, this is a bit OT. I don't watch much TV so I have only seen the show a couple times, this is the one with the guy Jonas leading the team right? I thought I heard that they were supposed to be Delta. Again, I have only seen the show a couple times so I don't really know for sure. It actually is a pretty decent show. That was the first time I had seen a show where they took a pro-gun stance, and they were even supportive of the war in Iraq.

Anyway, I don't want to go too far OT, but I do think I heard that they were supposed to be Delta.

It's "The Unit" from the hit CBS TV show... :P

Sorry, this is a bit OT. I don't watch much TV so I have only seen the show a couple times, this is the one with the guy Jonas leading the team right? I thought I heard that they were supposed to be Delta. Again, I have only seen the show a couple times so I don't really know for sure. It actually is a pretty decent show. That was the first time I had seen a show where they took a pro-gun stance, and they were even supportive of the war in Iraq.

Anyway, I don't want to go too far OT, but I do think I heard that they were supposed to be Delta.

Loosley based on the book by Eric(?) Haney he's an ex-delta guy who's been "overstating" his credentials.. the show is a nice escape, if you like guns and gadgets it's decent, though some plotlnes are hard to watch.

Back to your regularly shceduled BFS thread :) carry on John

Loosley based on the book by Eric(?) Haney he's an ex-delta guy who's been "overstating" his credentials.. the show is a nice escape, if you like guns and gadgets it's decent, though some plotlnes are hard to watch.

Yes, that is the one.

I have only seen a couple episodes, so I really cannot comment on the storylines overall, but the "perspective" of the show is what I liked.

wow, amazing topic, what i've been missing this last weeks!

great to read so good new from jsonnedecker himself! for sure it will be an amazing game.

I'd like to make a couple of questions, perhaps they have been answeared before but i've still not read all post, sorry if they have.

1.- Which engine are u using?

2.- are u planning to realease an SDK? I'm itching to make some new maps yet!

"The Unit" is presumably about Delta Force, but that is something that is never explicitly stated that on the show. Some of the storylines seem a little far out there from a reality perspective white other episodes seem much more realistic/plausible, but regardless it is usually entertaining enough for me to watch it. If I lived somewhere with more than a couple TV stations I may or may not be inclined to watch something else, but it certainly would rather watch it than CSI: Whereever (one of the CSI's or their knock-offs seems to be on every night).

Edited by Thoramir

wow, amazing topic, what i've been missing this last weeks!

great to read so good new from jsonnedecker himself! for sure it will be an amazing game.

I'd like to make a couple of questions, perhaps they have been answeared before but i've still not read all post, sorry if they have.

1.- Which engine are u using?

2.- are u planning to realease an SDK? I'm itching to make some new maps yet!

1. Can't say yet

2. The plan is yes, but things can always change for unforseen reasons.

Sorry to digress, but I love "The Unit". It's one of my favourite shows at the minute.

I'm sure I've seen Delta referred to as "The Unit" elsewhere and lots of details of The Unit are pretty much consistent with Delta.

I assume he called it "The Unit" so he could get away with stuff like that storyline about being sent to kill that former Delta guy working for the CIA (more or less from the book) and could make comments about the politics of this or that situation without looking like he was badmouthing Delta or the government specifically because y'know, it's a fictional unit.

It's a good show overall. It covers interesting ground and manages to not have utterly predictable storylines every week (it's nice that it doesn't just always boil down to "There are terrorists and The Unit shoot them" because that has pretty limited appeal for a TV show). The fact that the wives are in there and you occasionally see Colonel Ryan politiking or dealing with higher authority means that each episode has at least two strands happening. It also covers stuff I really couldn't see the likes of 24 doing in a script, with the family stuff and the political stuff written in a much more convincing fashion than one would expect.

Also love the dialogue. Mamet writes some characters (Jonas especially) as speaking in what sound a lot like tough-guy haikus. It's really stylised. I guess that could get irritating but Dennis Haysbert is really good at delivering lines like that.

There isn't any huge political bias or agenda in the show. They very specifically haven't set an episode in Iraq, for example and the government are definitely not always portrayed in the best light (in fact The Unit having to dedicate as much time to foiling their higher ups as to the problem at hand is a definite theme in some episodes).

I think 2x13 was one of the best episodes I can remember recently (the one with the sub and psychologist in :D ) if anyone fancies watching one although 2x14 was slightly more gung ho.

And now back to your scheduled thread...

Edited by spm1138

If anyone here remembers my history here at this forum then you should know that I am VERY interested in this thread. And that I am keeping a very very close eye on it.

Blackfoot staff I am sincerely not trying to be egotistical or anything but if you can get my thumbs up on this project when you finally reveal it then you will indeed have an absolute winner here.

If you have at all seen my behavior here at this forum and the official ubi forums concerning "graw" and my bitter disapointment of it and of why....

Then you will have a decent gauge on the direction of where your project should be going. Your quietly generating a storm here on this special project of yours.

But I'm trying to restrain myself with a wait and see attitude. Unfortunately, I've been betrayed before. :(

Edited by Stalker_Zero

Stalker, you are not alone in that feeling. People need to eat to survive. You have to make a living. I think Christian just recently managed to get rid of that 1990 Bronco Albatross he has been driving. But it isn't about the money. One of the big motivators for this project was to see things done in a certain way that I think you and a few others will like a great deal.

I await with great anticipation for more info as well.....anything is helpful..

anything like: whats the scale of the combat we can expect....squad based combat like ghost recon, or larger scale conflicts to include vehicles ( friendly, enemy, driveable). I know things can start slow and escalate to huge firefights....but how large will the conflict get once the poop hits the fan?

as for me id rather not use vehicles in combat...id just as soon love the focus on squad level movement to include formations for approaching objectives...

thats a personal preference issue though...im more a fan of the stalk than the kill.... i would gladly hunt and stalk for however long is necessary just to set up quality kills.