Hints of a game to come from BFS....

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgive this old fart, but, didn't these guys work on BattleBorne V1.0?

that was a pretty awesome mod, very intense specially the bridge firefight. :yes:

Battleborne did create a map for GR (Ossetian Woodlands IIRC) and John did work for them for a while. He left and formed his own company. See my interview with him for more of those details.

Thanks WK.... I didn't really have much to do with that mod. All I did was unofficially help them get it working a couple of weeks before they released it. There was something that only someone with dev tools could fix and they asked nicely.

Now, as far as what came after that, I did help them start the company and make a game but that history is dead and buried.

-John

I have to say that im really excited about this game. And I feel that it has some real potential, so keep it up BFS-Team, provide some more teasers (the ones you posted looked really good - they have a certain [GR] feeling, thats good). Ill be following this thread with great interest.

One qestion for john; is it the teams ambition to make the bullet balastics realistic, in terms of bullet drop, wind, speed, weight, penetration and so on ([GR] really failed in that department).

One qestion for john; is it the teams ambition to make the bullet balastics realistic, in terms of bullet drop, wind, speed, weight, penetration and so on ([GR] really failed in that department).

It will definitely be looked into. This is one of those possible technical limitation areas as true bullet ballistic characteristics like bullet drop and wind are tough to model properly without taking up crazy CPU cycles. We'll have to see as we go.

But, with being said, all other weapon and bullet characteristics will be accurate.

I have to say that im really excited about this game. And I feel that it has some real potential, so keep it up BFS-Team, provide some more teasers (the ones you posted looked really good - they have a certain [GR] feeling, thats good). Ill be following this thread with great interest.

I have to agree. [GR] was far too simplistic in this way. I thought OFP did a decent job of this, and even Sniper Elite managed to do a decent job in this respect.

Of course there are limitations in regard to realism even in this department. As long as there damage based on caliber, bullet drop, and time to target requiring leading for moving objects, I would be plenty happy.

Things like drift on account of rifling, wind, etc... are ancillary in my humble opinion.

It will definitely be looked into. This is one of those possible technical limitation areas as true bullet ballistic characteristics like bullet drop and wind are tough to model properly without taking up crazy CPU cycles. We'll have to see as we go.

But, with being said, all other weapon and bullet characteristics will be accurate.

Realism is nice but it must not negatively affect the gameplay, and sheer fun of gaming. Especially true for MP t vs t aspects of a game where too much cpu/gpu load will cause netcode problems, lag issues and so on.

It's a tricky and delicate balance but it's nice to hear that you at least strive for realistic accuracy, penetration, recoil. :thumbsup:

A department where GRAW failed was the injury model. I hope you consider having some immediate "punishment" of non leathal bullet hits, like body twist, fall, loss of scoped view etc and permanent or long lasting effects e.g. limp/slow movements, slow reload, aiming difficulty.

Ok, finally I will give some real input instead of fooling around. But I hope you realize I've been fooling around because I'm getting good vibes here and I like hanging around good vibes.

Anyway, my input.

I know it is hard as you say to incorporate realistic bullet physics. But if this games turns into the military shooter we have all been waiting for I do hope you are able to do this.

That way certain modders can specialize in modding stuff just for snipers. Imagine the possibilities if you can script in an editor the characteristics for customized ammunition. It would be just like what real snipers do when they make ammo. Or how about modders creating ammo mirroring real world prototypes coming onto the field as we speak. Like the .408 ammo on the cheytac intervention. Or we can finally have actual differences between .50 caliber and .50 caliber explosive rounds.

And we can have snipers calculate windage and bullet drop and all that.

Just my 2 cents. :(

The limp in the old RSE games was awesome in my opinion and I have no idea why it was never carried through the franchises.

Are you being sarcastic with that remark? ;)

hope not cause he's right. It was very good for that game concept. What i always wondered is why they didnt take it a step further

such as:

shot in foot or leg (left) you limp left and so on with right side. Another neat thing is realistic "gimp" on right and left arm ...depending on left torso/arm and so on.

While were on the topic, realistic armor for different regions of coverage would be cool too.

The limp in the old RSE games was awesome in my opinion and I have no idea why it was never carried through the franchises.

Are you being sarcastic with that remark? ;)

Nope, I'm being serious. I thought it was great.

I know. I meant that in reality you aren't really surprised that rse/ubi didn't carry the limp type of stuff with them into their new console oriented arcade future.

I loved the limp so much and had a great laugh over it after Rocky was limping after being wounded in both legs. He ordered us to shoot him if he was ever limping that bad again. Shame we never got the chance to do that. :rofl:

Oh, that's funny!

Maybe it's just me, but games these days are missing a lot of those "look back and laugh" moments. I'm sure they are still there, but I haven't had any like I used to with R6,RS and GR.

-John