Hints of a game to come from BFS....

You guys remember when you played a mission in GR, you carefully considered every step, plotting and planning every movement over wide and varying terrain in order to have the upper hand on a challenging and often unforgiving enemy? What happened to that? That feeling of tension you felt, knowing that any wrong move could often prove fatal? That tension is long gone for me. As I bound from objective to objective, encountering the same scenario of a group of guys waiting to ambush me in one direction, just so that I can blow something up and then run off to my next task of 10 in a mission, I can't help but feel like a high-speed errand boy. It would seem these days players are content with scripted sequences and lots of incompetant enemies.

Remember when you used to praise GR for it's realism and attention to detail? I used to be quite impressed with the detailed textures and models, most of them modeled directly from real loadouts currently used in the field. Yeah, the game was set in the near future, but what was really catching was GR's similarity to present-day combat. ess.

Those days aren't over, they are just taking a vacation. ;)

The premise and execution of the GRAW games is great, but evolved a considerable amount, in my opinion, from the originals. The same can be said for the R6 series as well. That original design philosophy and love of the core gameplay mechanics are alive and well in one particular place.

Stay tuned.

-John

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That original design philosophy and love of the core gameplay mechanics are alive and well in one particular place.

Stay tuned.

-John

wow john i do like the sound of that, can't wait to see what blackfoot has in store for us :ph34r:

The premise and execution of the GRAW games is great, but evolved a considerable amount, in my opinion, from the originals. The same can be said for the R6 series as well. That original design philosophy and love of the core gameplay mechanics are alive and well in one particular place.

Stay tuned.

-John

How many jager shots would it take for you to spill the beans? Drinks are on me...

Stay tuned.

-John

How many jager shots would it take for you to spill the beans? Drinks are on me...

Oh man...... I stopped the Jager long ago my firend. My tastes are a bit more refined these days, so a rich cup of coffee and a good cigar should do the trick. :P

Or a few pints of some Bavarian brew is always good. :yes:

Anyway, things are a little rougher around the edges and harder to get rolling when you don't have a big corporate machine backing you up, but you will see all in due time.

-John

Stay tuned.

-John

Sounds interesting, do the work in peace and quiet, but feel free to "leak" something now and then to tease us. Also I do hope there is pc in mind... :rocky:

Stay tuned.

-John

Sounds interesting, do the work in peace and quiet, but feel free to "leak" something now and then to tease us. Also I do hope there is pc in mind... :rocky:

I suspect early 2007 will be a "leaky" time of the year. :ph34r:

I also expect whatever BFS to be working on to be for the PC first with consoles as an afterthought.

As it should be.

And it is :thumbsup:

PC first.... 360 second, depending of lots of variables, but PC is where we are stationed. Can't deny the console potential, but we are aiming for a particular market and not the carpet bombing approach.

We are going to be a little quiet for a bit more, so hopefully we can get together what we are trying to. Go enjoy Vegas, GRAW or whatever you are playing now and start keeping your eyes peeled for a covert and previously classified unit to peek thier head out of the shadows. :ph34r:

Totaly obscure hint........ GB

-BFS out

We are going to be a little quiet for a bit more, so hopefully we can get together what we are trying to. Go enjoy Vegas, GRAW or whatever you are playing now and start keeping your eyes peeled for a covert and previously classified unit to peek thier head out of the shadows. :ph34r:

-BFS out

I really hope they remind what has [GR] made so special ...

I know there must be a seasonably development but tactic features

must be. Or they give the game another name as Ghost Recon.

-BFS out

Just so you know.... this has NOTHING to do with RSE, Ubi or Ghost Recon. We are not affiliated with them.

-John

-BFS out

Just so you know.... this has NOTHING to do with RSE, Ubi or Ghost Recon. We are not affiliated with them.

-John

Thank you ... so I can expect something special new!

-Martin

@jsonedecker- I look forward to seeing what you folks are up to as well. Just know that you've got your hands full against ArmA...

2007 should be a GREAT year for the gamer, it seems...

Are you taking preorders already jsone? ;)

@jsonedecker- I look forward to seeing what you folks are up to as well. Just know that you've got your hands full against ArmA...

2007 should be a GREAT year for the gamer, it seems...

Are you taking preorders already jsone? ;)

Hehe... No, no pre-orders yet. Unless of course you can wait awhile for it. :rofl:

ArmA is looking really really good, but I would say what I am working on is somewhat different. I never thought [GR] and OPF were "direct" competitors, in the sense that something like Rogue Spear and SWAT3 were. [GR] and OPF attracted the same types of customers, but the gameplay was different enough, to me at least, to warrent buying both games and getting a different experience from both.

So, after that long winded intro, the same holds true for what I am working on and ArmA. Besides, I would expect to see my project available for some time still. We have a nice in depth and interesting storyline, subject matter and of course a certain style of design and gameplay that I can easily be associated with. I come form 2 classic franchises so one could easily assume that any of my own projects would pull heavily from the design styles that I hold so true to what I love about gaming.

There, I said to much. :santa:

Happy Holidays to everyone.

-John

So, after that long winded intro, the same holds true for what I am working on and ArmA. Besides, I would expect to see my project available for some time still. We have a nice in depth and interesting storyline, subject matter and of course a certain style of design and gameplay that I can easily be associated with. I come form 2 classic franchises so one could easily assume that any of my own projects would pull heavily from the design styles that I hold so true to what I love about gaming.

Seems like you said just enough to give us some hope that you might actually have a PC game in the works that might be of interest to us die hard R6/GR players. :pokerface: Here's hoping for the best. :wizard:

Stay tuned.

-John

-BFS out

ArmA is looking really really good, but I would say what I am working on is somewhat different. I never thought [GR] and OPF were "direct" competitors, in the sense that something like Rogue Spear and SWAT3 were. [GR] and OPF attracted the same types of customers, but the gameplay was different enough, to me at least, to warrent buying both games and getting a different experience from both.

So, after that long winded intro, the same holds true for what I am working on and ArmA. Besides, I would expect to see my project available for some time still. We have a nice in depth and interesting storyline, subject matter and of course a certain style of design and gameplay that I can easily be associated with. I come from 2 classic franchises so one could easily assume that any of my own projects would pull heavily from the design styles that I hold so true to what I love about gaming.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

-John

(awakens from the post-GRAW-induced nap)

You have no idea how happy I am see you posting this great news. If you meant to perk up everyone's ears, you've definitely done that.

Hmmmm...very interesting. :)

(goes back to sleep until Q1 2007)

This was moved here as I get the sense that BFS is working on something that will tickle our fancy. With the discussion here it won't get lost amongst the GR/GRAW topics.

Who knows, maybe this will become the ideal shooter we requested. :ph34r:

How the hell did I miss this thread, sounds very intriguing mate, I'm looking forward to news on this one.

Probably because it was buried amongst another thread. I split it today. :lol:

I see we landed a secluded spot on GR.net. :D

Anyway, I want to come out and make it clear that I still have the utmost respect for Red Storm Entertainment and those people that make it tick. They have choosen to take thier franchises in successful directions. Wether those here believe it or not. I wish them much success and good fortune in the future.

However, to me personally, there are certain key gameplay and design elements that are missing in today's Tactical Shooters/Sims that were so captivating in the "old days". I am of the character and mental makeup that if there isn't something out there that serves my needs then make it yourselve.

So, BlackFoot Studios was formed 2 years ago. The time is becoming right to try to branch out and develop a game that fills what we percieve as a generously sized hole in the market. Is it a mass market sell 2 million units hole? Probably not. But that is not our goal. I did not start BFS to take the carpet bombing approach to game development and try to sell a copy to every man, women and child. BFS was started to make the games that I like to play and can no longer buy.

Hopefully others feel the same way so that we can make a living and play the games we love.

More to come as things start to come together.

-John

Does indeed sound interesting...although the fact that the idea and concept is there is hardly news to certain members of another forum :P:ph34r:

Even sparked interest enough in me to start thinking about putting whatever skills I have on offer if there was interest for em, nowadays I've moved on though so... :huh:

Keep us posted John...make something that will blow both GR:AW and ArmA out of the water! :thumbsup: