Demo...my goods bads and ugly

Ok finally got the demo to work on my pc

Here is my thoughts from the demo.

Playable Graphics are sub-par even to GR1. I have a 6800GS that i can play GRAW on at 1280x1024.... but with AA i only can get to 1024x768 with high settings (which looks low to me)

But graphics don't make the game... so here is my next experience

1st 2 servers i tried... said i had .009 seconds to spawn. 1st server i never did... think it hosed up

2nd server... apparently i spawned because it kept saying i was getting killed in the lower left. once it showed me dropping into the ocean... grrr

both servers said excellent ping.

Anyhow... tried again last night.

Finally got in a server... hmm i never got to change my online name... What it's using my Computers name .....???? GRRR!

OK, finally dropped in a team vs team successfully.

Looking around i see all these guys. Hmm... nothing indicating friend or foe. Also my ret says something about hire some soldiers? No idea what they want me to do So i jump in a tank and run a few over. Apparently there ai, not one of them was one of the real 8 that is supposively in the game.

So, i'm flying around in this tank (man they can move) and it's pretty neat... as was in OFP. I drive into this city and since there is destructable objects i deside to nuke a billboard... CAnnon goes right through it. Apparently you can't blow up advertisements??? grr. cuz buildings would.

Anyway see a few more soldiers that look like they were walking toward our base. Run a few of them over. They were just standing in the road. Then what do i see..? actual people running toward a red cross tent. so i cannonize them. woot real person... says in the bottom right such and such and such died. They were kind of jerking as they ran... laggy i guess.

I spot this guy laying near the tent... hmm cannon can't aim low enough and 50 cal is out from me playing around shooting motionless ai. Guess i'll run him over.... and about 2 feet from crushing him... boom crash to desktop. GRRR!

My thoughts on Demo out of 10 in Team

#1 Stability 4

#2 Graphics 4

#3 Interface 2 (map made no sense and such. maybe if i had played OFP more)

#4 Vehicle interaction 8

I'll stick with GRAW for now unless i see something different.

My opinion of Demo -

graphics, great in places..mediocre in others. definitely needs some tweaking. - 7.

stability - ive had a crash here n there, and lag on just a few servers - for the most part, npz, and bare in midn most of the servers Im playing on are 20, 000 km away from me. - 7.5.

gameplay - only play coop, steep learning curve, but after prolly 8 hours playtime - I love it. Highly addictive. Looking forward to some great COOP in Arma. As good as GR, no reason why it shouldnt be - 9.

interface - v basic in places, could do with an upgrade, but it does make sense with a little understanding - 6.5

All in all, I love the Demo for COOP, a brilliant mission and a taste of whats to come...bring it on.

The only major issue I think is that you really want a powerful system to run this really well.

I have AMD 3200xp 32-bit, x850xt 256 meg, and 2 gig ddr-400 ram.

Im sitting between about 15 and 25 fps, but it seems smooth enuff. Settings are high, with shadows off.

I did a fair bit of testing and found very little diff in fps between low and high settings - shadows off should give you an extra 4-5 fps, and quite frankly I dont think the shadows are v good particularly re: trees.

Its more then playable in coop now in fact even on laggy servers I can pick up plenty of kills now, and I will wait for Vista and then upgrade to a beefy new pc which should really lift ArmA.

Highly recommended new game - just give it time. After a few hours of learning you will start to love ArmA. Overall - 8.5/10 - with some tweaking could get to 9 or 9.5/10.

Big tip - AI are brilliant flankers - shoot and relocate or you will be found and killed quickly.

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd

Playable Graphics are sub-par even to GR1. I have a 6800GS that i can play GRAW on at 1280x1024.... but with AA i only can get to 1024x768 with high settings (which looks low to me)

1st 2 servers i tried... said i had .009 seconds to spawn. 1st server i never did... think it hosed up

2nd server... apparently i spawned because it kept saying i was getting killed in the lower left. once it showed me dropping into the ocean... grrr

Finally got in a server... hmm i never got to change my online name... What it's using my Computers name .....???? GRRR!

Looking around i see all these guys. Hmm... nothing indicating friend or foe. Also my ret says something about hire some soldiers? No idea what they want me to do So i jump in a tank and run a few over. Apparently there ai, not one of them was one of the real 8 that is supposively in the game.

So, i'm flying around in this tank (man they can move) and it's pretty neat... as was in OFP. I drive into this city and since there is destructable objects i deside to nuke a billboard... CAnnon goes right through it. Apparently you can't blow up advertisements??? grr. cuz buildings would.

Anyway see a few more soldiers that look like they were walking toward our base. Run a few of them over. They were just standing in the road. Then what do i see..? actual people running toward a red cross tent. so i cannonize them. woot real person... says in the bottom right such and such and such died. They were kind of jerking as they ran... laggy i guess.

I spot this guy laying near the tent... hmm cannon can't aim low enough and 50 cal is out from me playing around shooting motionless ai. Guess i'll run him over.... and about 2 feet from crushing him... boom crash to desktop. GRRR!

#1 Stability 4

#2 Graphics 4

#4 Vehicle interaction 8

I have also experienced the same problems as you Roco, infact more.

There is no doubt that the demo has its problems and is floored, it's up to all that is interested in the game to express there differences so then hopfully the devs can do something about it.

Lets not forget that the English version will be released in February.

My opinion of Demo -

graphics, great in places..mediocre in others. definitely needs some tweaking. - 7.

stability - ive had a crash here n there, and lag on just a few servers - for the most part, npz, and bare in midn most of the servers Im playing on are 20, 000 km away from me. - 7.5.

gameplay - only play coop, steep learning curve, but after prolly 8 hours playtime - I love it. Highly addictive. Looking forward to some great COOP in Arma. As good as GR, no reason why it shouldnt be - 9.

interface - v basic in places, could do with an upgrade, but it does make sense with a little understanding - 6.5

All in all, I love the Demo for COOP, a brilliant mission and a taste of whats to come...bring it on.

The only major issue I think is that you really want a powerful system to run this really well.

I have AMD 3200xp 32-bit, x850xt 256 meg, and 2 gig ddr-400 ram.

Im sitting between about 15 and 25 fps, but it seems smooth enuff. Settings are high, with shadows off.

I did a fair bit of testing and found very little diff in fps between low and high settings - shadows off should give you an extra 4-5 fps, and quite frankly I dont think the shadows are v good particularly re: trees.

Its more then playable in coop now in fact even on laggy servers I can pick up plenty of kills now, and I will wait for Vista and then upgrade to a beefy new pc which should really lift ArmA.

Highly recommended new game - just give it time. After a few hours of learning you will start to love ArmA. Overall - 8.5/10 - with some tweaking could get to 9 or 9.5/10.

Big tip - AI are brilliant flankers - shoot and relocate or you will be found and killed quickly.

I haven't tried the co-op yet nor the capture the flag. Did you find many playing? the most i saw on any server was 8/60 which was on 2 team vs team. the rest were pretty much empty... Are you in the US? wondering if maybe you are seenig different servers then me.

My review was the TVT which wasn't pretty. I may mess with the co-op this weekend.

#1 Stability 4

#2 Graphics 4

#4 Vehicle interaction 8

I have also experienced the same problems as you Roco, infact more.

There is no doubt that the demo has its problems and is floored, it's up to all that is interested in the game to express there differences so then hopfully the devs can do something about it.

Lets not forget that the English version will be released in February.

Yeah i also had to redo a profile on my pc...as for some reason in AA it gave me a direct x error about missing some dx9 file. i copied it to the right location and then i got a box with an XX?

After redoing my XP profile it started up (odd because all other games including GRAW were fine)

Hopefully there will be a patched demo as i would really like to see it working better before purchase.

I'm only guessing, but I think they released the demo this early to test the waters, and then have time to adjust.

That's unlikely, considering the game is already out. :blink:

OFP's always been an acquired taste, and it's never been for everybody. It's definitely not the same game as GR, and, as I've said already, none of you should be expecting Armed Assault to be.

I'm only guessing, but I think they released the demo this early to test the waters, and then have time to adjust.

That's unlikely, considering the game is already out. :blink:

OFP's always been an acquired taste, and it's never been for everybody. It's definitely not the same game as GR, and, as I've said already, none of you should be expecting Armed Assault to be.

Please, don't misunderstand me, we are not in no way looking for a GR experience in ArmA, they are clearly there own game. I would like to see ArmA do really well, I love the whole consept.

I believe the issues are the bugs etc etc.

My opinion of the demo.... 6/10.

I don't know why, but I can only get like 25 FPS even at low settings and no AA, and I can't play at low settings since it looks like poo. Stangely though, the game still runs with 25 FPS at medium :huh:

Anyway, the learning curve is not too steep, but still steep. Sure it's a demo so I can understand why there is no tutorial.

I like the order system. Using space and click is quite brilliant really. I wouldn't mind if GRIN copied that for GRAW 2 ;)

I still find it quite difficult to find my way around though. Like, where is the battle? Is it 10 miles that way or that way?

The map is poor. I didn't know which way I was facing until bati_gol_20 told me. The use of a triangle instead of an arrow on the map is just dumb IMO.

The controls are good but they could have been better. I think it would be better if you control the speed with the mouse wheel instead of double-klicking on several buttons. Also, why is there a zoom button?! :wacko:

The AI is quite good. However, they tend to fall a bit late after they have been shot. Could be ping, but why would my ping be high on my own server? :mellow:

I guess it's lag... and there is nothing I can do about it.

Now here is my biggest complaint, the sound.

It's pretty basic IMO. The weapon sound is not very frightening. All I can think of when I hear gunshots in ArmA is "Ok... gunshots", while in [GR] or GRAW it's more like "Gunshots! Take cover!". You get the idea.

There is no "smash" sound when you throw yourself to the ground. I thought I was wearing heavy gear.

I'll stop now before I become a troll :P

Havent tried the demo.

couple patches came out some fixing major crash issues.....

As far as peformance goes I run it all on low for my native resolution which is 1680x1050.

Plays fine at 1024x768 just about at any detail level only a couple forests make my system cry and it takes a lot of AI to really cause hick ups aswell.

personally i think low looks pretty good still. Not like HL2 or anything but pretty dang good at times.

Edited by Prozac360

I dont understand the fixation with fps at times - I get 15 fps quite often on my outdated system, but its not choppy and I can still take out a shyteload of tangoes aka its not lagging my game.

I dont run it on low ever cos it looks like krap on low - and on Normal with shadows off and AA low - it should look gr8 and play fine.

This game is definitely the successor to GR in terms of COOP - once you get the feel for it you won't want to turn it off.

A weird thing for me and the demo... I've tried all three "modes" and the only one I had problems with was the team mode... COOP and CTF modes worked just fine. The team mode, for me, was completely screwed up - weird glitches, sounds were rubbish... and I kept having this bug where after taking 3 or 4 shots my weapon became completely silent.

Either way, the COOP and CFT modes were great - nice missions with good map design... either of these two modes have alone made me want this game HUGE. The graphics and sound are not on a GRAW standard, but the gameplay and AI are brilliant. I will definately be buying this when it comes out - bugs and all. I'm drooling at the prospect of COOP missions in the full version.

A weird thing for me and the demo... I've tried all three "modes" and the only one I had problems with was the team mode... COOP and CTF modes worked just fine. The team mode, for me, was completely screwed up - weird glitches, sounds were rubbish... and I kept having this bug where after taking 3 or 4 shots my weapon became completely silent.

Either way, the COOP and CFT modes were great - nice missions with good map design... either of these two modes have alone made me want this game HUGE. The graphics and sound are not on a GRAW standard, but the gameplay and AI are brilliant. I will definately be buying this when it comes out - bugs and all. I'm drooling at the prospect of COOP missions in the full version.

Hmm although i am a TVT type maybe I'll try CTF tonight and see what it's like.

I will definately be buying this when it comes out - bugs and all. I'm drooling at the prospect of COOP missions in the full version.

coop in the full version are greate fun, belive me, and if you don't, ask my wife how mutch time i've spent coop'ing :)

ps, for those who are finding it hard to wait for the game, buy the german download version, and aply the german to english patch thats out, and it'll work like a charm.

i know we're a ton of ppl out there that had problems with waiting.... i'm one of em :P

I had all the same problems as ROCOAFZ.

If the server had enough players to make it interesting, it simply wouldnt load. Even servers with only a few folks on it took forever to load.

The sound was poor in quality and bugged. I could hear a teamate driving a tank that sound right next to me, when I turned to look, he was a good half mile away and on the other side of a hill! I waited for him and as he approached, the sound never changed, still sounded right next to me.

AI were only difficult when they were in large numbers, otherwise, just stood in the open shooting.

I spent the last half of a match crawling on my stomach :rofl: I could stand up, but as soon as I tried to move, my player would lay down...I guess he was tired.

All in all it seemed quite...dated. After playing for an hour, I actually went out and checked to see if I had accidentally downloaded the OFP demo.

I'm the most shocked they would release a demo like this. This could really hurt sales when in comes out in North America. I was pumped for this game to come out, now unless something dramatically changes, itll be pass for me.

I spent the last half of a match crawling on my stomach :rofl: I could stand up, but as soon as I tried to move, my player would lay down...I guess he was tired.

thats the damage model, i'm pretty sure you had taken a bullet to one, or both, you leg(s)...

with a bullet or two, in your foot, it's hard to run around :P

The sound was poor in quality and bugged. I could hear a teamate driving a tank that sound right next to me, when I turned to look, he was a good half mile away and on the other side of a hill! I waited for him and as he approached, the sound never changed, still sounded right next to me.

me.

Unfortanley, bis ain't good with sounds, and the engine sound bug is known, you might want to try to turn off\on harware acseleration and eax.

I'm the most shocked they would release a demo like this. This could really hurt sales when in comes out in North America. I was pumped for this game to come out, now unless something dramatically changes, itll be pass for me.

Not a 100% sure, but i think they haven't set a data for a us release yet... you're stuck, atm atleast , with the uk version

happy newyear folks, and might it be a good arma year for us all :)

Also maybe he fell down from some stairs, building, jumped out of a chopper, ...

Then u "break" ur legs and cant stand anymore.

From retail copy: About bugs, my main problem is the sound, sometimes i cant hear friendly fire and that happens to few of us so its not only my problem :D

And the random crashes, even when yesterday i had none :D

@Lighty: if u dont remember the mission name, here is where all the "downloaded missions" go:

Check this FAQ at armaholic.com

Where do the downloaded missions go?

Edited by bati_gol_20

thats the damage model, i'm pretty sure you had taken a bullet to one, or both, you leg(s)...

with a bullet or two, in your foot, it's hard to run around :P

Ah! that makes sense, thanks. Would rather see a limp or your soldier grunting in pain to let you know you need medical help but thumbs up on a damage model anyways.

How about the loading problem? I literally could sit on a servor for 5 minutes and it wouldnt complete the loading...on servers with good ping. I had to pick servers with only 4 or 5 players in them otherwise I couldnt join.