New model in the works

SnowFella

Alrighty, although only the seatbelt's been modeled since the latest renders some major work has been put into the start of a scene setup. Hopefully it will look alittle better with some reflected colour aswell as some better lighthing.

bodywork51-thmb.jpg

(click for full res)

bodywork50-thmb.jpg

(click for full res)

Left to toss into the "studio" are some reflection planes and sorting out lighting of the interior that's way to dark at the moment.

Snow

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great snow, I think the wheel shader is really good!

Something funny on that first render, cant tell if its like an optical illusion or what, but the far side of the bonnet, over the where I guess the wheel would be, it looks as if the gap between the bonnet/hood shut line and the edge of the wing gets larger?

It's an optical illusion that the fender gets wider above the wheelwell...but it does indeed change shape slightly there ;) While the hood has a uniform curve on it the fenders acctually curve up slightly over the wheel archs.

I started mapping out the body yesterday and also painting my decal mask, with any luck I'll have something to show for in a couple of hours :D

Here's a very early preview of the look with some of the decals slapped on. I've still got to round out most of the corners on the pinstripes and tweak my mapping somewhat in places.

bodywork52-thmb.jpg

Keep in mind that the model still is mirrored down the centerline, making the bird on the hood look very funky.

It's a blend material mate, all I'm painting is a black and white mask telling 3dsm what of the 2 materials (black metal or gold decal) to use where. Means I have full control of the specular and reflection of the decals using that materials properties ;)

I am thinking about turning the gold material into a shellac one instead of raytrace, that way I can even toss in some small darker flecks into the gold colour as looking at the reference I have the decals doesn't have uniform colour in them, they instead look to have similar properties to metallic paint.

Not much left to do on the decals now, apart from a truckload of cleanups of my mapping aswell as sharpening up the blendmask. Also have to finish the stripes around the rear and side windows, make the stripe around the headlights and add a tiny bit of stripe at the rear corner of the front fenders.

bodywork53-thmb.jpg

bodywork54-thmb.jpg

I've un mirrored the model for these renders to fully be able to show off the text on the rear spoiler.

Alright, 3 new renders for tonight...these ones will come in thumbsize, small and fullscale as the full resolution ones are just that tad big. Click the rhumbnail to get the downscaled and the link below the thumbnail for the full resolution render.

bodywork55-thmb.jpg

Full scale, 500Kb

bodywork58-thmb.jpg

Full scale, 500Kb

bodywork56-thmb.jpg

Full scale, 450Kb

Time to finalise the last items of the interior and set up a "proper" rendering scene.

Wow that looks incredible, I wish I had a piece of 3d work that good to show around!

Are you going to polish up the decals for a bit more res? Cause the TransAm on the spoiler looks very fuzzy. I also noticed on the roof that there seems to be 3 ripples, is that just a trick of the light? And the top of the license plate in the first/second pic being solid red looks funny.

Cheers guys.

Here's something my computer has been working hard on in the last few days, sure it didn't take days to render but as my rig couldn't handle rendering the whole scene in one sweep I had to split it up into sections. It's later been composited together using AVS Videotools.

360 degree turnaround, 8.5Mb .mov file

Excuse the sloppy camera work, I really should of set up a better smooth turnaround :blush:

Really does highlights where I still have bumps in the mesh, the rear window is a great example of this. :wall:

Well, there aint going to be anymore updates on this project for a little while as I'm heading off on a week long holiday later on today.

Once I get back I'll square away the last little bits and make a final render, and then move onto another project :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers mate

I'm acctually about to call this thing finished and move on even though there still are some minor areas that could need refinement. I've just lost the drive to continue on this perticular model for some reason.

I've tossed the question up among my teammates of what car they would like to see next, 70's muscle car ofcource, and got a few suggestions. Unfortunately some of those are hampered by the lack of good blueprints available...best bet right now is either a Ford Falcon XB GT or a Plymouth AAR Cuda

Alright, here's the first "final" render of this model. It really just highlights how much I suck at lighting and composition unfortunately.

firebird2.jpg

(Click for full 1600x1200 render)

I'll set up a camera angle from the rear aswell so keep a look out for it in a few hours.

Ofcource I am mate ;) It's beyond far the best "road trip" movie ever made!

Only reason I desided not to include the Bandit's front georgia plate in the above render is because it's texture suck. :wall: