Unexplained error

RavenousNC

Has any experienced this?

There is an area of the map that is just like any other. There are no Areas that go thru it. No triggers or events of any kind associated with it…just a normal area of the map.

Imagine a straight line that spans the width of the map. No matter where you cross this line the game crashes. This is not a game crash, per-say. It is a Windows crash. There is nothing recorded in the crash log. The server does not crash, only the game.

I have tried many different renders, removed compositions that were near, still nothing.

What could this be from, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

Rav :zorro:

I have had this issue before and on my Delta Force series maps. With the map 100% working it I took a 3 story building and just rotated it then rendered it would cause the game to crash when I walked like 20 feet up the map. What you should try to do is this (I know this is tedious, but you will find the problem).

Save your last world file somewhere, then go in the map editor and remove all buildings or some buildings in an area then see if that allows you to run through the map. I spent probably 1-2 weeks before I figured out what my problem was. I thought the spray paint or other effects were the problem. The I wondered if it was a wall stuck in a building. Then I thought it was objects that may have fell through the map somewhere. If you want to send me the .bundle version I don't mind playing with it for a couple of days just on the map to see if I can help isolate your problem. Email to cpugaming@comcast.net if you like and I will confirm your issue then pick an area to work in, but I believe it may be a static object. In my issue it was the Slum theme (Shanty Town items).

I know your frustration so if I can help with the time I have, I will.

You have GOT to be s h * t i n g me. You mean that there is a flaw so bad in the editor that I would have to go thru the map and dismember it, re-load the game, just to see if I MAY have taken out the issue? And repeat until I find the problem?

GRIN – I’m sorry. I hate to be the one that bitches so much, but I’m having a lot to complain about.

I even went as far as to reformat my PC since re-installing didn’t work. I figured it had something to do with my machine. That maybe it was corrupting the render somehow.

I’ll stop commenting right now. I am thoroughly pi**ed off.

This is unacceptable.

Rav :wall:

Edited by RavenousNC

Here is a new discovery on this issue:

I began work on another map. My friends create a lot of maps, and I code them. On this map I placed a few guys, then set it to render overnight. I then decided to take a look at the render in game. In this case, the crash that this discussion is about happened immediately as I began to move.

After reformatting and taking out a building here and there, I did find some instances where the crash didn't occur. Then I tried replacing and turning buildings. Still it crashed.

After some thought I remembered the map had no problem before the AI were added. I made a draft of the map before I placed the AI, and walked through it.

The discovery here is that the AI placement may be the problem, not the static.

My suspicion that it was the AI placement is pretty much confirmed, in my opinion.

I went back to a map I was working on that had this error. I found the last best known world file, rendered it and found no error. I then moved the items around that I believed caused the error. It was hard to determine why the error occurred, but after making several changes to that one set of AI, the error returned.

One thing to make sure of is to place the AI for vehicles, crew and passenger, as closed to, if not within, the vehicles they belong. One immediate crash was when I forgot to move the AI with the vehicle.

While it may be that the rotation of buildings and such may play a factor, I personally think that it has more to do with the AI and how they are placed within or around other objects.

EDIT: Note that all the editing was done with the same set of AI to eleminate any confusion.

Edited by RavenousNC

I love your dedication Rave.

You're gettting stuck pretty much every day, unleashing your frustration and turning your back on modding, only to find you back a day later with a new project :D

Keep it up dude, you'll get there.... ;)

You're gettting stuck pretty much every day, unleashing your frustration and turning your back on modding, only to find you back a day later with a new project :D

I'm anxiously waiting for your "successful" [GR] mission-based coop map....

Hopefully Grin can fix the dedi-server issue, and that you don't encounter any more show-stoppers.

Pullin' for ya..

Let's be clear on one thing :rocky: I have never said anything that meant I was turning my back on modding. Oh, I have thought about it, yes, and if these problems were as consuming as Tom_Anger experienced I probably would have.

Dedication? Not sure. You know how some people cut themselves for some odd reasons? That's about how it is with me and GRAW modding. But there can be a point where I run out of blood, and every problem I experience I will bring out for everyone to know and possibly share their experiences. I might get pi**ed, but I have got to let it out. I put a lot of time into working on maps. Lots! The problem is that it is too easy to get ticked at aspects of the editor/game.

Yup, you'll see me go on a tirade when things are messed up, but I'll also share any fix I find, and give credit where it is due. As long as we remain cordial to one another and deal with facts, we’ll get more answers with GRIN folks.

It’s obvious that the GRIN people have got to have thick skin to deal with us, but there is no need to penetrate it. I never intend to belittle them. As ticked as I may get they don’t deserve that.