Developed by GRIN?

Ok, I don't think 3D Gamers is a reliable source when it comes to game developers, but look at this thing from their website:

Related Info

Game:

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Related:

Headlines

Company:

GRIN

Latest Headlines in Related Categories:

Movie / Screenshots / New Game

Discuss this Story:

PC Games Forum

Maybe GRIN is involved with GRAW 2 :mellow:

I sure hope so anyway...

Source

Edited by Hockeystick

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I read before, GRAW 2 is developed again by Red Storm, Ubisoft Paris and GRIN. So it looks like this would leave GRIN for the PC-version. Hopefully they learned a little bit from developing GRAW and how it has been accepted by the community.

The latest 'Press Release' just out today 12.08.2006; makes it sounds like GRIN is not going to be the developer for the PC version of GRAW 2:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 is being developed by the award-winning teams that created the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter in Ubisoft's Paris and Red Storm Studios.

Only the Paris and RSE studios are mentioned, no mention of GRIN is made. It's possible in the recent fashion of only mentioning details regarding console games these are the two studios doing different console releases of the game -- but if that were the case it certainly would be a rather gross back-stabbing oversight to GRIN not to mention a key partner/Developer in the official, world wide title 'Press Release'...

In either case somthing stinks...

:(

Edited by Waika

I can't read that press release and assume GRIN is off the project. It's merely another pointlessly omissive statement from someone at Ubisoft who's job is seems to be is writing documents containing only as much information as is necessary to not have it sound like a dog barking into a bucket.

Let's not forget that GRIN's name didn't come out until well after the announcement of GRAW PC. Why would Ubisoft break their pattern of non-admittance of simple, basic information this time?

I genuinely have no inside info on this so I can speculate with the rest of you, and I'd say based off some pretty blinking obvious indicators at the foot of the forums here every single day, I'd say GRIN are on the case for sure.

Well if true, and I hope it is, the lack of any mention of GRIN does seem like a pretty below the basement slight toward the Swedish Studio... I know I'd want my Studio mentioned in the context of any Publishing promo material, as often as possible, and certainly at least as often as any Studio that got the gig for the console version of the same title/project.

Would especially be nice if GRIN were on board and they make this an expansion to GRAW that functions the way Island Thunder and Desert Siege did with [GR]; where all the game's and expansion assets can be shared and used in mods on the same engine. And dare we hope; a DXE Decompiler that could and most certainly would make GRAW a mod platform that could actually challenge games like Armed Assault for sustainability and a larger long term audience?

Well... I can still hope...

:huh:

Would especially be nice if GRIN were on board and they make this an expansion to GRAW that functions the way Island Thunder and Desert Siege did with [GR]; where all the game's and expansion assets can be shared and used in mods on the same engine. And dare we hope; a DXE Decompiler that could and most certainly would make GRAW a mod platform that could actually challenge games like Armed Assault for sustainability and a larger long term audience?

I might actually be OK with that idea...

I'd be incredibly surprised if GRiN were not involved in GRAW2. It's a question of simple economics: bringing in someone new would cost a lot more than having GRiN work off the existing codebase. A codebase where the content seems to be well separated from the real code through XML. You don't put that much effort into a one-off game.

And I think that's good news if confirmed because GRiN might then be able to incorporate some of the feedback they got from the fans into the new game. In contrast, someone new could take us in a whole new direction and GRAW would be GRAW2's [GR]. :mellow:

I'd be incredibly surprised if GRiN were not involved in GRAW2.

Me too. :rolleyes: Can't say I'd be thrilled to have GRIN working on it as GRAW's gameplay left much to be desired. I'm still more impressed with the gameplay that RSE can produce. Heck I even think Letdown/Lockdown is much more fun to play than GRAW ever thought about being. :o

Me too. :rolleyes: Can't say I'd be thrilled to have GRIN working on it as GRAW's gameplay left much to be desired. I'm still more impressed with the gameplay that RSE can produce. Heck I even think Letdown/Lockdown is much more fun to play than GRAW ever thought about being. :o

errr... I think lockdown should have been left out of the equation. The game isn't worthy of being mentioned in any forums. <_<

GRAW 360 gameplay also left much to be desired. Like giving induvidual orders to your teammates.

Just like in the PC version, the game also ends on the 360 if the Mitchell dies etc. etc. etc.

Since RSE is making the 360 version we would only get a port if they also made the PC version. A port with 3rd person etc. All the things that atleast I don't like about GRAW 360.

I think it would be best if GRIN could continue with their engine and their code with GRAW 2. They can then "fix" all those gameplay issues that GRAW has so that everyone can be satisfied.

There is really nothing wrong about the gameplay in GRAW PC, it's just unpolished. Teammates who wont go to their right positions can of course be fixed with updated AI. I think that the AI is the biggest problem with GRAW PC. If RSE ports the 360 version of GRAW 2 then you would not get a better AI than in GRAW PC since everybody knows that console AI is way worse than PC AI :ph34r:

I think GRAW 2 has the potential to be a really, really, great game. It is really just building off of everything done with GRAW, rather than starting again from scratch, and that leaves a lot of time for focus on some of the key issues, and developing a solid evolution in the series.

No, no no....I do not believe GRIN is involved in the development of this game

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162891.html?...estnews;title;3

at the bottom is this

GRAW 2 is being developed by Ubisoft Paris and Red Storm Studios

While it doesnt say which system, i think its fair to assume that since GRIN was not mentioned at all and that the PC version will be made...as mentioned in same article, that its being made by RSE....

I'll make a new thread for this as well...to clarify and make it more obvious to everyone

I've been looking for the news that said "GRAW 2 is developed by the same time from GRAW. RSE, Ubisoft Paris and GRIN". I checked all sites but this news is like gone. Maybe it was deleted due to the fact, it was not official by then or it was false. We'll see in the near future.

Edited by rookie

Yeah and they're not going to for a while. As soon as everybody knows GRIN is developing GRAW 2 everbody goes like "PLEASE INCLUDE THIS" "PLEASE FIX THIS" "PLEASE GET IT RIGHT" "DON'T LET US DOWN ON THE MP PART THIS TIME" and so on and so on. :rofl:

Who knows, maybe we're just getting another port like vegas and GRIN is not involved. In january we probably have an answer. :shifty:

Oh wait, the 360-version is scheduled for march 07. Right around this time we should learn who is developing the PC-version.

Edited by rookie

And Brown finally gets his burro show! (Hopefully he doesn't get the Clerks II version... yuck!)

well you never know Rabbi, Ubisoft has done crazier things than getting Kevin Smith involved in a game..hehe... :grin2: "there is only one return, and it aint of the king"

i love how a member of grin posted in a "developed by GRIN?" forum without actually saying anything about this. well, as Rookie said, I wouldnt either for fear of being bugged to death.

In any case, my bet is that GRIN is the dev team. From what I can tell GRAW was their first FPS, and its not too shabby. Doing something a second time tends to result in 10x better results after mistakes are corrected... Heres to hoping GRAW2 is everything we hoped for

I hold, in my grubby little hands, a document issued by Ubisoft that states:

© 2007 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, the Soldier Icon, Ubisoft, Ubi.com and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. PC version developed by GRIN.

This is a press release regarding GRAW2. I'd call that confirmed. ;)

Thanks to Papa6 for the download link, while the specific document from said pack, I've made available here.

EDIT: The pack contains two Word documents. Papa6 has quoted one, while I'm hosting the second, which also contains the reference to GRIN.

From the .doc file inside the pack!

UBISOFT UNVEILS TOM CLANCY’S GHOST RECON ADVANCED WARFIGHTER™2

Sequel to 2006’s Next-Generation Smash Hit Arrives Spring 2007

Download Information and Materials Here: http://files.us.ubisoft.com/GRAW2_Ann_12.8.06.zip

SAN FRANCISCO – December 8, 2006 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced that Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter™ 2, the next installment in the popular squad-based action franchise, is currently in development for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows® PC. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter™ 2 is being developed by the award-winning teams that created the original Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter™ in Ubisoft’s Paris and Red Storm Studios. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter™ 2 is scheduled for worldwide release in Spring 2007.

“Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter set the standard for what we know as the next-generation gaming experience,†said Laurent Detoc, president of Ubisoft North America. “With Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Ubisoft is taking all the successful elements in the original to an unparalleled level of quality – the sophisticated technology, weaponry, graphics, story and online gameplay will heighten the intensity and bring gamers an even more amazing experience.â€

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter received critical acclaim and quickly became one of the best-selling games on Xbox 360 and one of the most played games on the Xbox Live® online gaming service. Recently, the prestigious British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) awarded Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter with “Best Game of the Year†and “Technical Achievement†honors.

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 builds off of the events in the first game and places gamers in control of the U.S. military’s elite fighting unit, the Ghosts. In the year 2014, the rising conflict between Mexican loyalists and insurgent rebel forces has thrown Mexico into full-scale civil war. Under the command of Captain Scott Mitchell, the Ghosts are called upon to face an imminent threat to the United States. The fate of two countries now lies in the hands of the Ghosts as they fend off an attack on U.S. soil. Equipped with the most cutting-edge weaponry and technology, the Ghosts must battle on both sides of the border to neutralize the escalating rebel threat.

Key Features:

Groundbreaking Visual Experience: The war zone in Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter comes to life as you navigate through trash-strewn streets and pick off enemies from behind bomb-scarred structures. The cutting-edge physics and particle systems will show you some of the most intense and realistic explosions, smoke, and environment destruction ever seen in a video game. Dynamic lighting and shadows will morph as real-time day/night cycles and a constantly changing weather system require you to adjust to the changing conditions on the fly.

All-New Battlegrounds: For the first time ever, the Ghosts will defend U.S. soil from a cross-border attack, taking the fight to all-new locations. The Ghosts will battle enemies in mountain terrains, barren deserts and even on their home turf in El Paso, Texas. Each environment presents its own benefits and challenges and will call for fresh tactical approaches.

Vastly Improved Artificial Intelligence (AI): Watch your back as rebels send their own team members to flank your position or gain vantage points by utilizing vertical gameplay to pick you off from the rooftops above. Improved squad-mate AI will now feed you more of the information you need with descriptive commands like “enemy spotted behind red truck ahead.â€

Improved Cross-Com: The revolutionary new Cross-Com 2.0 will give the player more information than ever before. You will be able to see what your friendly forces see in the top left display and the click of a button will expand that to full-screen view for a clearer and more precise picture. This will give you a more comprehensive view of the entire battlefield. The new Full Command View will allow unprecedented precision in developing and issuing tactical plans on the battlefield.

Expanded Support: Command lethal air strikes with jet fighters, gain mobile cover for otherwise impassable situations and replenish armaments on the battlefield using an unmanned artillery MULE. Players can now heal their team on the battlefield, including squad leader Scott Mitchell, with an all-new Medic class of soldier.

About Ubisoft:

Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through its strong and diversified lineup of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has offices in 21 countries and sales in more than 50 countries around the globe. It is committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to consumers. Ubisoft generated revenue of 547 million Euros for the 2005-2006 fiscal year. To learn more, please visit www.ubisoftgroup.com.

About Tom Clancy:

With more than 80 million books sold, Tom Clancy is arguably the world’s most recognized author. His works include fiction such as The Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger, The Sum of All Fears, Rainbow Six, Without Remorse and The Teeth of the Tiger. Clancy also writes nonfiction works about weapons and various military units. Four of his books have already been adapted into highly successful feature films.

© 2006 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, the Soldier Icon, Ubisoft, Ubi.com and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. PC version developed by GRIN. “PlayStationâ€, “PLAYSTATIONâ€, and “PS†Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Microsoft, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox Live are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

Ubisoft Press Contacts:

Jaime Borasi / Kjell Vistad

415.547.4065 / 415.293.1160

Jaime.borasi@ubisoft.com / kjell.vistad@ubisoft.com

Added: bolded that grin is the pc version developer

Edited by Papa6