WOOT Off!

Kamakazi

I have a silly question ... what is "WHOOT" ... when people use it on the net? I understand most slang etc net wise, but this one I never understand .. can anyone tell me?

We won't tell. Its a conspiracy. :shifty:

Just kidding, Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :P

Seriously though, the way I generally see it being used is when something is good, awesome, great, etc... I see people posting Woot, or Whoot when circumstances like this arise. This is just an observation, so I may not be right.

the urban dictionary has this to say about Woot

1. woot 1548 up, 247 down

Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "w00t".

"w00t" was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.

"I defeated the dark sorcerer! Woot!"

"woot! i r teh flagmastar!" (Think Tribes)

"Woot, I pwnzed this dude's boxen!'

We won't tell. Its a conspiracy.

Just kidding, Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

:D @ jchung ... that was just too easy!

@Grine_Wille.. thanks for that, I realy though for some time it was the initials to a phrase or something. Fair enough, at least I now know a real reaon to never use it on the net myself :)