Agent Smith's Effects Mod: FEAR edition

That's right, Agent Smith is BACK! And now, he has more experience than ever and now has more resources at his finger tips.

Based on the revolutionary code written by mirr (Me and him made a partnership a long time ago), I have taken his code and now editing decals and attempting to get better blood splats and more frequent splats.

Sample of decal change:

grawfearbloodsf5.th.jpg

grawfeartwoxb5.th.jpg

Features to see in the future:

- Changing blood decals.

- Blood splats while enemies are still alive.

- Better looking shadows.

- (If possible) More realistic ragdolls (More weight, less flimsy, and better deaths).

Release date: WHEN IT'S DONE.

Credits:

- Special kudos to Predaaator of FPSBanana.com for porting the FEAR blood decals to Counter-Strike: Source. Now, I've converted them to GRAW, and will do some special tweaking.

- mirr : He's the one that started the revolutionary splattering blood. Time to build upon what he's started.

Edited by Agent Smith

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I last used Mirr's newest version v0.9 (?) the blood decal would appear on walls, objects even though no Ghost or rebel was hit. Have you a; noticed this, and b; reduced the target area affected by the near miss?

I've seen this, and apparently, it's either have splattering blood or don't from my experiments. There's a certain string of code required in order to get splattering blood. This code is NOT NPC specific, therefore it means blood can spawn off a stray round.

the appearing of the blood without hitting a soldier has to do with the redirect/angle settings in the decal file i think, in version 0.9 there were 2 or 3 cases where this happened

- shooting at a metal surface with bushes in front

- shooting at water

- ... can't remember the other one (something with barrels i think)

maybe if the decals for the (sheet) metal/water were changed, it would no longer happen,

or modify the <option decal_type=/> settings

tweaking the min/max angles could also work, when these are set extreme, every bullet fired would produce a blood decal.

you could try setting the angles small for all the surfaces and big for the padding/helmet/head/flesh decals,

so when hitting a soldier, blood would always stick on them, but the spatter on objects would only happen if the target is very close to a wall,car,barrel,other soldiers etc..

didn't have much time the last few months to work on this, so sorry for the lack of updates.

nice to see Agent Smith continues this.

the appearing of the blood without hitting a soldier has to do with the redirect/angle settings in the decal file i think, in version 0.9 there were 2 or 3 cases where this happened

you could try setting the angles small for all the surfaces and big for the padding/helmet/head/flesh decals,

so when hitting a soldier, blood would always stick on them, but the spatter on objects would only happen if the target is very close to a wall,car,barrel,other soldiers etc..

I've taken out the leaves and bushes spawning blood, which was the #1 reason why there was so much blood all over the place in certain situations.

The decals on surfaces I need to tweak around, but I need some help in getting the blood decal when a soldier is hit to stop clipping into the body.

This is what I have coded so far:

<decal_type name="bullet_hit_impact" soft_limit="120" limit="150"   projection="planar" size_min="5.0 5.0 1.0" size_max="14.0 17.0 19.0" sustain="72000" 

release="1" memory_limit="500000" diffuse_texture="blood_splatbody" bump_normal_texture="splatter7_bm" render_template="bullet_decal">

<variation uv_rect="0 0 0.5 0.5"/>

<variation uv_rect="0.5 0 0.5 0.5"/>

<variation uv_rect="0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5"/>

<variation uv_rect="0 0.5 0.5 0.5"/>

</decal_type>

<decal_type name="bullet_hit_impact2" soft_limit="120" limit="150"   projection="planar" size_min="5.0 5.0 1.0" size_max="13.0 14.0 1.0" sustain="72000"  

release="1" memory_limit="500000" diffuse_texture="blood_splatbody" bump_normal_texture="splatter7_bm" render_template="bullet_decal">

</decal_type>

<decal_type name="bullet_hit_barrett" soft_limit="120" limit="150"   projection="planar" size_min="5.0 5.0 1.0" size_max="12.0 11.0 13.0" sustain="72000" 

release="1" memory_limit="500000" diffuse_texture="blood_splatbody" bump_normal_texture="splatter6_bm" render_template="bullet_decal">

</decal_type> 

If you look a few posts up, I have a screenie of a mexican soldier's corpse with a ton of blood on him, as well as a shot of Brown's face with hit decals clipping around his head. I've been trying to find a solution to that. It's my only problem that I'm having.

It's also nice to see that you're still poking around here, mirr.

I've taken out the leaves and bushes spawning blood, which was the #1 reason why there was so much blood all over the place in certain situations.

The decals on surfaces I need to tweak around, but I need some help in getting the blood decal when a soldier is hit to stop clipping into the body.

This is what I have coded so far:

<decal_type name="bullet_hit_impact" soft_limit="120" limit="150"   projection="planar" size_min="5.0 5.0 1.0" size_max="14.0 17.0 19.0" sustain="72000" 

</decal_type>

<decal_type name="bullet_hit_impact2" soft_limit="120" limit="150"   projection="planar" size_min="5.0 5.0 1.0" size_max="13.0 14.0 1.0" sustain="72000"  

</decal_type>

<decal_type name="bullet_hit_barrett" soft_limit="120" limit="150"   projection="planar" size_min="5.0 5.0 1.0" size_max="12.0 11.0 13.0" sustain="72000" 

release="1" memory_limit="500000" diffuse_texture="blood_splatbody" bump_normal_texture="splatter6_bm" render_template="bullet_decal">

</decal_type> 

If you look a few posts up, I have a screenie of a mexican soldier's corpse with a ton of blood on him, as well as a shot of Brown's face with hit decals clipping around his head. I've been trying to find a solution to that. It's my only problem that I'm having.

It's also nice to see that you're still poking around here, mirr.

as far as i've seen none of the decals actually map perfectly

on the models, they seem to be offset a small amount and mapped on a hidden shape.

maybe the offsets can be changed inside the model files, or it has something to do with the

mapping type. Maybe changing the render_template?

in one of the previous versions i changed the $ray type and the blood generated from the

bullet_hit_physx would collide with the soldiers body, so when you shot at the head the blood

would spray around and land on top of the head offset half an inch or so.

some of the decals have a min_distance setting, maybe this could be used?

another feature that could be added to your mod is to model some limbs or other gore and have it spawn in when a soldier gets killed by a grenade.

Something like the debris that spawns when you destroy barrels.

there are some fluid examples in the fx files, if you have a physx card maybe tweaking these could be used to create realistic blood. I tried it but fluid systems won't render in software mode.

Another shot showing the blood decals:

graw2212mp4.th.jpg

The little decals stacked upon each other in the middle of a great looking decal is going to be removed. I'm going for quality rather than quantity, because those decals came out bad. I might try porting them again and seeing what I get.

The mod is now ready to go into Alpha stage testing, which consists of what I have done so far.

Pictures of the changed blood decals (Directly from the .DDS files themselves):

splatter6da2.th.png

splatter7ee9.th.png

splatter8el5.th.png

There are ONLY 10 avaliable tester spots.

PM me if you want a link to download the mod, as well as your system specs.

I will give you the download links to the mod.

Happy fragging! :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I haven't tested my new eVGA 7900 .... but I already uninstalled GRAW. hmmm makes me wanna reinstal the game Agent Smith :boxing:

edit: Its Agent Smith, what do I have to lose. How do I install mods again? something about Data folder? :unsure:

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

Okay I created a folder:

localfoldergb7.th.jpg

then create a "fear folder" within the English folder:

fearfolderrc6.th.jpg

then restart GR:AW...hope it works....

I should create a folder in the English folder for every mod I install correct?

Eh... not really. That's not how mods work, unless you have a mod loader (Did someone make one yet?)

The folders in any mod are what you put in the Local -> English folder, which consists of folders such as "effects", "settings", etc. It does not go in it's own folder.

Okay I created a folder:

localfoldergb7.th.jpg

then create a "fear folder" within the English folder:

fearfolderrc6.th.jpg

then restart GR:AW...hope it works....

I should create a folder in the English folder for every mod I install correct?

Eh... not really. That's not how mods work, unless you have a mod loader (Did someone make one yet?)

there is one I see in the download section, but has problems, no new news about it.

The folders in any mod are what you put in the Local -> English folder, which consists of folders such as "effects", "settings", etc. It does not go in it's own folder.

I wanna load the Sepia Effect Reduced- Mod and your mod only for now.

How do you have yours installed?

I no longer have my 6-yr old chimpanzee to do my computer tech stuff, so please try to bear with my questions :rolleyes: