1.35 Missions Update

Tinker

Added to patch 1.35: the ability for [GR]-Coop to have single-player style objectives, and with them a new few map-script-commands.

1) When OgrSetGameOver is used in an event, the match ends, if we are playing [GR]-coop. This is so that mission-scripters can create any win condition they desire in an [GR]-coop game.

<event name="start_game">

<element type="OgrSetGameOver" start_time="10.0"/>

</event>

2) When OgrEnableExtractionCheck is set to false, the game won't end even though players reach at the extraction point in [GR]-recon mode.

When it's set to true, the check is turned on again. It is turned on by default when a game starts, so that games that does not use the tag will function like normal.

<event name="start_game"/>

<element type="OgrEnableExtractionCheck" enable="false" start_time="5.0"/>

</event>

3) TriggerRandomEvent will make it possible to randomize events.

You can at random make one out of four different events occur.

The events-tags are called event1,event2,event3 and event4, they are paired with chance-tags called chance1,chance2,chance3,chance4.

When TriggerRandomEvent is executed, a random number between 0 and 100 is generated, and compared with each chance-tag in order.

These are the parameters:

· event1 – name of the first event

· chance1 – a number between 0 and 100

· event2 - name of the second event

· chance2 – between chance1 and 100

· event3 - name of the third event

· chance3 – a number between chance2 and 100

· event4 - name of the fourth event

· chance4 – a number between chance3 and 100

If chance1=40, chance2=55, chance3=74, chance4=90 then...

event1 will run if number >0 and number<40

event2 will run if number =>40 and number<55

event3 will run if number =>55 and number<74

event4 will run if number =>74 and number<90

no event will if the number was => than 90!

....so if the random number was 42, event2 would have run.

You do not have to specify all four events, one or more is sufficient.

Example:

Here is an example with two different events occurring at 50/50 chance:

<element type="TriggerRandomEvent" event1="event_AAA" chance1="50" event2="event_BBB" chance2="100" start_time="30.0"/>

</event>

<event name="event_AAA" once="true">

<!-- do some things here--/>

</event>

<event name="event_BBB" once="true">

<!-- do some things here--/>

</event>

4) ActivateRandomGroup will... guess what, activate a random group!

Works like just like TriggerRandomEvent, i.e one out of four groups will be activated.

The group-tags are called group1,group2,group3 and group4, they are paired with chance-tags called chance1,chance2,chance3,chance4.

When ActivateRandomGroup is executed, a random number between 0 and 100 is generated, and compared with each chance-tag in order.

· group1 – name of the first event

· chance1 – a number between 0 and 100

· groupt2 - name of the second event

· chance2 – between chance1 and 100

· group3 - name of the third event

· chance3 – a number between chance2 and 100

· group4 - name of the fourth event

· chance4 – a number between chance3 and 100

If chance1=40, chance2=55, chance3=74, chance4=90 then...

group1 will activate if number >0 and number<40

group2 will activate if number =>40 and number<55

group3 will activate if number =>55 and number<74

group4 will activate if number =>74 and number<90

no group will be activated if the number was => than 90!

....so if the random number was 56, group3 would have been activated.

Example:

<element type="ActivateRandomGroup" group1="coders" chance1="50" group2="graphic_artists" chance2="100" start_time="30.0"/>

</event>

5) Objective - Used to add, remove or update a mission objective!

· id - name of the objective

· state - ( add/update/completed/aborted )

o add - creates a new objective.

o update - updates an objective with new way_point, txt, headline and mode.

o remove - marks an objective as completed. / done.

o aborted - marks an objective as aborted.

· txt - mission description text. (or use txt_id.)

· txt_id - the name of the localized mission description text.

· headline - the headline that is written on the mission button in the nav-com. (or use headline_id)

· headline_id - the name of the localized headline text.

· waypoint - (x y z) - a vector with the world position of the objective.

· waypoint_id - either the name of the localized text-string hovering at the objective in the crosscom, or the text itself if no localized id was found.

· mode - (1,2)

o 1 - primary objective.

o 2 - secondary objective.

Example:

<element type="Objective" id="my_objective" headline_id="Destroy tanks" waypoint_id="Tanks" txt_id="Take our the mex tanks on the plaza.” waypoint="-12263.8428 9108.7314 -985.3781" state="add" mode="1" start_time="0"/>

</event>

6) ShowMessage – Prints a message in the chat window to all players in a [GR]-coop game.

· msg – the string you want to display for all players.

Example:

<element type="ShowMessage" msg=”You have completed the mission successfully!” />

</event>

Some small tips.

If you want to create a stationary MG-nest you simply create a m2hb_tripod in the props layer, and name it to whatever you want.

Now create any group you want, but with a ‘1’ after it, and give it the same group_id as the gun nest.

When you now activate the group through a <element type=”ActivateGroup” it will spawn on the stationary MG.

The group Friendly is used in singleplayer levels (and GRAW coop), and spawns the ghosts.

In the human layer there are also those that are named vehicle_crew and vehicle_passangers.

If they share a vehicle_ID with a vehicle from the vehicle layer they will spawn with the vehicle. Feel free to experiment with these, as I will not cover vehicle management in this tutorial.

These are activated in events through:

<element type="ActivateVehicle" vehicle_id="whatever" start_time="2"/>

<element type="RemoveVehicle" vehicle_id="whatever" start_time="2"/>

<element type="ExplodeVehicle" vehicle_id="whatever" start_time="2"/>

To order a car, you press f12 in the editor and write down the position, to where you want the car to move.

Then in the missionscript add:

<element type="OrderCar" vehicle_id="whatever" order="move" position="0 0 0" start_time="14"/>

Heli orders, feel free to experiment.

<element type="OrderHeli" vehicle_id="heli_name " order="move" position="0 0 2000" speed="0.2" target="true" start_time="12"/>

<element type="OrderHeli" vehicle_id="heli_name " order="land" position="0 0 2000" speed="0.5" target="false" start_time="15"/>

<element type="OrderHeli" vehicle_id="heli_name" order="target" position0 0 2000" speed="0.8" start_time="15"/>

<element type="SetTransportType" vehicle_id="heli_name" transport_type="insertion" start_time="16"/>

<element type="SetHeliStand" vehicle_id="heli_name" start_time="30.0"/>

<element type="SetHeliDropRope" vehicle_id="heli_name" start_time="32"/>

<element type="SetHeliDrop" vehicle_id="heli_name" start_time="35"/>

To add compositions, just add one in the editor, name it, and in the missionscipt add:

<element type="Composition" id="composition_name" start_time="3"/>

To be able to resupply at an apc, place a stryker, name it “whatever” and add

<element type="SetToSupply" vehicle_id="whatever" event="supplied"/>

This will trigger an event called ‘supplied’. Create that event and in it add this to make it so that you no longer can supply at that vehicle.

<element type="SetToSupply" vehicle_id="whatever" mode="false"/>

//Grin_Evert - Grin

Interesting!

Tinker

:shifty:

Let the mission modding begin (and those of us that enjoy them)

Since i do not mod i have to ask... is this kinda what alpha squad was looking for?

I still guess no for that 1! :shifty:

However i assume you can now have an unpredicatble mission of some standards at least. You only need a few objectives and a bunch of random patrols to make the same map playable again and again and..

This is a little heavy for me but i am trying, hope someone can have a real attempt at something soon. Being a co-op player more, replayability was the main thing that put me off, but this looks promising to say the least.

Tinker

Well this certainly sounds like a big step toward improving replayability of coop maps.

As for "being what Alpha Squad" was looking for, I will reserve judgment until we have time to see what this patch really provides. This probably helps, but I'm still worried that there are two big holes (they are really related)-- no ability to change the plan that a group is executing, and no ability to control/change the level of aggression a group exhibits. As a result I am still worried that there is no practical way to script missions that allow squads to sneak by tangos that become active/aggressive later in the mission.

This probably helps, but I'm still worried that there are two big holes (they are really related)-- no ability to change the plan that a group is executing, and no ability to control/change the level of aggression a group exhibits. As a result I am still worried that there is no practical way to script missions that allow squads to sneak by tangos that become active/aggressive later in the mission.

That is true. GR:AW doesn't support "silent" missions much. But that is reflected in the original campaign as well. It's more of a hollywood action movie kind of "go right into the middle of the heat to get the job done" type game.

This is a little heavy for me but i am trying, hope someone can have a real attempt at something soon. Being a co-op player more, replayability was the main thing that put me off, but this looks promising to say the least.

Alpha version is done. Will try to implement some of these new elements to provide true randomness to my mission today. Hoping to do some testing today with the complete mission as well, only played parts at the time so far. Also have to do a better lightmap when I'm sure everything is where it should be, only use a 1 pass, low res one right now.

The random functions work great!

Had to rewrite one of my objectives to make it truly random instead of may attempt at faked randomness. Poor people that have bad luck with the "dice" is all I can say. :devil:

:D I knew you would be on top of it, nice.

What`s tickling me a little is a can`t actually remember having to sneak past anyone in the original GR/DS/IT Missions?

Tinker

What`s tickling me a little is a can`t actually remember having to sneak past anyone in the original GR/DS/IT Missions?

There are actually some nicely done stealth missions in the originals. There are two that come to mind for me. First, the GR missions on the POW camp -- make entry undetected and secur ethe prisoners. While you are allowed to kill tangos before you make entry, you need to remain unseen/unheard by them or else they will kill your rescue targets. Second is from DS on the Train Depot map -- granted it is only the optional "secure the intel" objective that requires stealth, but it is a very tricky one to pull off. Again, you are allowed to shoot tangos here, but once they see/hear you for long eneough you get 5 minutes within which to secure the objective and there are significant changes in the behavior of the tangos on the map once you have "been made".

I really do not want to (and did not intend to) drag this into another GRAW is not GR discussion. I just wanted to respond to the "is this what Alpha Squad was looking for" question. The thing "we" like is having the ability to create missions that can start slow and sneaky but can evolve into one of many "action movie" style firefights. In my opinion, this dynamic nature of missions has been an important point in maintaining longer term interest in GR.

Beuhgler_AS:

I really do not want to (and did not intend to) drag this into another GRAW is not GR discussion.

Good valid point. My biggest error.

Forgetting about GR for now, i still thinks this is going to go down pretty well for the GRAW people to start. From there it will only be a matter of time, for some qaulity fun missions at least. Clever use of replacing patrols can also be great assett.

I don`t see any real negativity in your post. :thumbsup:

I believe there is a train depot map for use, hmm. I lost intrest in all my games but good old GR just lately, but i think i like to pickup were i left off with GRAW, see how this goes a little.

GR:AW Style.

Tinker

:D

Tinker

sort of.

I've played so many that I think not all of them were "stock" but I thought there was one on a night map where you had to sneak up to a location, wait for a jeep to arrive, let the transaction occur, THEN take me out.

hmm.. mebbe that was a harntrox mission.. coulda been a stocker tho.. dunno

anyhoo.

But the whole key to the AS tournies was the ability to balance a stealth attack with a show of force. That's what made them so popular.

I'm optimistic about this patch. I'll take a renewed look @ modding now.

Yeh, that came into its own with Alpha Squad Stealth Recon, without a doubt. I played a couple of [GR] stealth mission that ZeroAlpha made last night, great fun.

Random mission features in GRAW will be great, can't wait to get stuck in and see what's possible...

Well, HAPPY DAY !

Thank you GRIN, thank you, oh thank you, oh thank you!

Like Wolfsong, I have a little package of missions nearing completion that will benefit greatly from a script re-write to take advantage of the Random event module. Sure beats the crap out of a complex series of cascading zone (area) sequences.

(Though, a combination of both may have some interesting potential... hmmmmmm...)

- - - - -

On the off chance that someone reading this is a 3DS Max wizard, I have a small ‘props' & ‘kit' wish list! If interested, try making a small, medium and large IED (Improvised Explosive Device) that can be triggered by a zone (area) via scripting. Also high on the list would be a ‘3 pack' of portable C4 Charges with Timers that appears in Ghost Inventory, say, as an option to grenades.

- - - - -

Thanks for the mention Rocky, I do enjoy making stealth missions. Was that the SNAP Missions that you played?

- - - - -

Now, back to script editing and beta testing!

Too funny! :rolleyes:

On the 1.35 patch :

- I found that the overhead map view for custom missions are now exported directly to the 'M' key function! Bonus!

- TriggerRandomEvent can be cascaded.

- Both Game and Editor are noticeably more stable, though I did still get a CTD on second test run of a custom mission.

Cleared up after a hard boot.

- Objectives and Msg Txt scripts will add that much more to the quality of custom [GR] missions.

I expect we will see great things for GR:AW from the dedicated Modding community!

Too funny! :rolleyes:

On the 1.35 patch :

- I found that the overhead map view for custom missions are now exported directly to the 'M' key function! Bonus!

- TriggerRandomEvent can be cascaded.

- Both Game and Editor are noticeably more stable, though I did still get a CTD on second test run of a custom mission.

Cleared up after a hard boot.

- Objectives and Msg Txt scripts will add that much more to the quality of custom [GR] missions.

I expect we will see great things for GR:AW from the dedicated Modding community!

I only tried the Demo and no good for my PC. Messed up adding RAM, and ended up buying a new PC for this Darn game. Beta tested most patches and give up. This opening does create a great chance, for me anyhow, to enjoy Co-op.

I think it is good TBH. Hoping to get some time in in the week days to produce something here too. In the meantime would love to try anyones missions.

Tinker

:thumbsup: