Ghost Recon.net Forums

Antec P180 case and PC Power N Coolin S750

Ya so it took me like 10 hours to install all the pc parts into the new case. Why 10 hours? Because the behemoth of a power supply is larger than the norm and adjustments had to be made. Not to mention the placement of the psu at the bottom of the case caused a few problems of its own.

The purpose of the upgrade was to get the pc noise down a notch or two.

Take a look at this link with the pics and tell me what do you think??

Antec p180 and PC Power N Coolin s750....PICS!! 56k BEWARE!! hardforum.com thread....

:wacko: Good grief! And to think I nearly cried over having to do a simple task of installing a 2nd HD: cool that you have the expertise to do all this PC-rebuilding stuff. BTW, your pics are excellent! (Is it quieter? :P )

:wacko: Good grief! And to think I nearly cried over having to do a simple task of installing a 2nd HD: cool that you have the expertise to do all this PC-rebuilding stuff. BTW, your pics are excellent! (Is it quieter? :P )

lol a little ya! :P

I'm still waiting on the new cpu fan which is really the big cause of most of the noise. But if it is already noticeably quieter then I hope it can only get better.

LOL I woulda finished sooner if I wasn't so stubborn. People on that forum told me I would have to remove the lower case fan from the power supply section on the bottom.

But of course I wouldn't listen.

I tried for hours to come up with a solution to have both the fan and psu there. So wrestled with that power supply for hours trying to improvise something.

I couldn't.

So I had to install the psu again then route the cables then the hard drives.....oh and don't get me started on the tiny power indicator wires that go from the case to the mobo.

omg! :wacko:

I'm still waiting on the new cpu fan which is really the big cause of most of the noise. But if it is already noticeably quieter then I hope it can only get better.

LOL I woulda finished sooner if I wasn't so stubborn. People on that forum told me I would have to remove the lower case fan from the power supply section on the bottom.

I tried for hours to come up with a solution to have both the fan and psu there. So wrestled with that power supply for hours trying to improvise something.

I couldn't.

So I had to install the psu again then route the cables then the hard drives.....oh and don't get me started on the tiny power indicator wires that go from the case to the mobo.

Thats a great case, I just built a system for a customer of mine and I was impressed. Of course as you also found it's a little constricting in spots. I just hope he doesn't want to upgrade his PSU to 1000w! By the way how do you find the stock Antec fans? I replaced them all with Vantec Stealth 120mm's before I fired it up; with the Vantec's it's whisper quiet.

I couldn't.

Thats a great case, I just built a system for a customer of mine and I was impressed. Of course as you also found it's a little constricting in spots. I just hope he doesn't want to upgrade his PSU to 1000w! By the way how do you find the stock Antec fans? I replaced them all with Vantec Stealth 120mm's before I fired it up; with the Vantec's it's whisper quiet.

ARGH! Ya SEE???? This is confusing and frustrating! The bozos over at hardforum thinks that vantec sucks so I don't bother to buy em.

But now you say they are whisper quiet.

Well, all I can tell you is that these antec tri-cool fans are ok when set to "low". But I think they could be quieter I'm not sure. The thing is its so hard to tell where the problem sounds are coming from. I won't know more til my 92mm nexus real quiet fan come by mail so I can replace the cpu fan.

@ severity6 => :shhhh:

(Shhhsh... otherwise he might tear it all apart & there'd go another 10 hours; what if he hasn't the strength to go thru that again? :jeswink: )

Tommorow I plan on transferring the data from the old ide drives into the 500 gig seagate and take them out. That way at least there it won't be so much heat against the remaining hard drives.

Unless I can figure out a way to fit a small fan in the front part of the case in front of the lower hard drive cage.

Yup, its a work in progress.

And there is still the installation of a 8800gtx card if I can get one. :yes:

You could do with some cable sleeving or at least hide some of the cables away. I would suggest getting a modular power supply but if it took you 10 hours to fit the whole pc together maybe I won't...

The P180 is supposed to be a great case for quiet PCs. Was this a straight swap of hardware from one case to another?

I've got an antec p180 case mate and its bloody great, really good layout and made for cooling, although I did put my hard drives in the top caddy and left the bottom free, might stick another one in later, I'm using the akasa 120mm fans on the psu, and if you're getting temp warnings its nothing to do with the case, I should check the heatsink and fan, my stock AMD heatsink and fan were hopeless so I got the Akasa and a thermalright SI-120, now the cpu idles at low 30's and peaks at about 45 degrees.

You could do with some cable sleeving or at least hide some of the cables away. I would suggest getting a modular power supply but if it took you 10 hours to fit the whole pc together maybe I won't...

The P180 is supposed to be a great case for quiet PCs. Was this a straight swap of hardware from one case to another?

Straight swap basically. But check the thread.....I've run into some problems which resulted in me damaging the WD raptor drive I have. :(

Stalker, you didn't like those little power indicator cables, those are my favorite part ;)

Sweet case though, housing a rather cool computer.

8800GTX eh? Pretty expensive, to go with that rather large monitor you have been talking about I would presume.

Stalker, you didn't like those little power indicator cables, those are my favorite part ;)

Sweet case though, housing a rather cool computer.

8800GTX eh? Pretty expensive, to go with that rather large monitor you have been talking about I would presume.

Yes indeed you presume correctly. :thumbsup:

I'm still not sure which 30" high resolution lcd I'm going with though.

The contenders:

Dell 3007WFP (or updated 3007WFP-HC model)

HP LP3065

BenQ FP301W

Samsung 305T

And I'm not getting the apple cinema display 30incher.

Time is getting close though. I make my selection next month. :shifty:

Spiffy very spiffy.

Man, must be tough, trying to decide WHICH 30" monitor to get, I feel your pain, must be rough.

Yes I know. Its been very stressful. :wall: ..................... :whistle:

Kidding aside though I've busted the SATA connection on my raptor so now I have to reformat the 500 gig segate from storage to now a boot drive.

:(

I am not running the Q-fan deal at all (don't know what it is for that matter). Matter of fact, I am running the Tri-Cools on the highest settings. I even added a 4th fan and the sound didn't change. Right now, I and the PC share a room and on those nights I leave it on for Copernic Desktop Search to update, I drop right off to sleep with no problem and do not find the fans to be overbearing. That may be due to the fact I go to sleep with the TV on. :shrug:

Cheers mate the Q-Fan stuff is with the antec powersupply, there are fan only molex adaptors on and if you put the tri speed fans on full, it'll regulate the temperature with a program running in the bios/windows, not sure which to be honest as I havent tested it yet. I've got my fans on medium and its seriously quiet, very cool too.

I am not running the Q-fan deal at all (don't know what it is for that matter). Matter of fact, I am running the Tri-Cools on the highest settings. I even added a 4th fan and the sound didn't change. Right now, I and the PC share a room and on those nights I leave it on for Copernic Desktop Search to update, I drop right off to sleep with no problem and do not find the fans to be overbearing. That may be due to the fact I go to sleep with the TV on. :shrug:

Interesting. Tell me, with your setup how do you cool your cpu? I mean, what cpu fan do you use?

I was interested to see the HD tray for that case, as I have the Antec black and the HS slots are a blinking pain. In the Sonata Black case the HD's are slid in butt first, so you have to feed the cables out of the case, connect up, then slide the HD units in. Try that with long cable runs and 4 HDs, - it is really hard.

Your one looks like it is a HD tray? Does it pull out? Regardless, you can connect and disconect the HD cables without removing the drives, which looks handy.

I was interested to see the HD tray for that case, as I have the Antec black and the HS slots are a blinking pain. In the Sonata Black case the HD's are slid in butt first, so you have to feed the cables out of the case, connect up, then slide the HD units in. Try that with long cable runs and 4 HDs, - it is really hard.

Your one looks like it is a HD tray? Does it pull out? Regardless, you can connect and disconect the HD cables without removing the drives, which looks handy.

Ya pretty much. And both cages lower and upper cages remove. The only thing that annoys me about that is the design for the rail that you slide the cages on are different from each other. I would have liked it better if both cages were interchangeable. But its cool though. Very nice case.

But as you have been reading from my hardforum thread the psu I chose for it caused some......erm....complications. :blink: