Weapons

ZJJ

Weapons in GRAW 2  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BTW one thing I do not much like in this game is that different mods seem to overwrite each other. So I use separate mod folders and activate one or other of them in advance of the mission. This entails leaving the game and restarting it. It also means that while I sometimes would like to mix and match weapons from different mods I cannot do so. (At least without recoding some of the XML files.) But I do not yet know how - can anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to import a weapon from one mod into another mod.

It's pretty straightforward but can be tedious for complex merges.

1. You already have the first step down; unpack each mod into a separate folder. It's easier to do it gradually, one pair of mods at a time.
  2. Compare the file structure of each mod to find out which files are common to both. Most often these are lib/managers/xml/weapon_data.xml and sb_templates/sb_inventory_data.xml.
  3. Now comes the tricky part. Open both versions of each file in a text (or preferrably xml) editor and compare the content. Choose one as your base file and add the missing content from the second file.
  4. Save the new file with the same name in a new directory called "combined_mod" or something. Repeat for each pair of overlapping files.
  5. Finally, add all the other, non-overlapping files from both mods to the new folder and voila, they are merged. (told you it was tedious!) :D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pritzl thanks.

So does that mean I really only have to worry about these two files? I think I can track down some software that lets me compare text files so while thats still a tedious task it's helpful and a bit easier than doing it by eye. I had similar issues in the original GR where I took all of my favourite weapon mods and integrated them into one mod package I had downloaded which had a bunch of other nice weapons as a part of it. That then became my main mod and every time I found another mod weapon that I liked I cut and pasted the relevant bits into that package. But at least in GR there was a priority system so that the higher priority mods took precedence - at least that meant that a high priority mod did not necessarily over write a lower priority one unless it had modded the same weapon file etc. That made it a bunch easier - the GRAW mod enabler that I have used seems only to implement one mod at a time.

Similarly with a flight sim called Strike Fighters where the effects file was one long textbased ini file which listed all effects and particle behaviours. I often modded my own effects so whenever I downloaded a new one, I had to manually integrate it back into the particle.ini file rather than just over writing it as this would have lost my own mods. That took heaps of eyeballing and scrolling.

Yes it is tedious.

thanks

Edited by peterm1

Pritzl thanks.

No worries...

So does that mean I really only have to worry about these two files? I think I can track down some software that lets me compare text files so while thats still a tedious task it's helpful and a bit easier than doing it by eye.

I wish I could say definitively it was always just those two files but I can't. It's only true for the specific mods I have merged. (SnowFella's M4 and some personal M99 tweaks) As for comparing them, it's not that hard because of the xml structure of the files to discern what was changed with each mod, especially when the changes involve adding a new weapon as opposed to tweaking an existing one.

For a few mods it's easily doable by hand. You would only get into trouble with multiple, mega-type mods where each mod includes more than one clearly defined change because the likelihood of overlapping files would go up.

For me ideally there would be:

3-5 SMGs

5-10+ Assualt Rifles (5.56, 7.62)

3-5 LMG's

3-5 Sniper Rifles

5-10 pistils (.45, .40, .357, 9mm)

The more the weapons the merrier but only as long as they are acurately modeled for looks, behavior and ballistics and not "balanced" for gameplay. Just make the weapons as close to real as possible and let the player "balance" the weapon by using different tactics depending on the weapon he/she chooses. Nothing annoys me more than having a ton of weapons that are "balanced" just to allow the player to be able to use any weapon any way he/she feels like and still be successful. It's a fact that not all weapons are equal and some are better than others for different situations.

A good example of this "balancing" is Rainbow Six: Vegas. Too me there are only 5 primary guns: SMG, Assault, Shotgun, Sniper, and LMG . Even though there are many more listed as available. I feel there are only 5 weapons because they are "balanced for gameplay"so it really doesn't matter which one you choose because essentially they are the same gun in their respective categories. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between the SMGs and Assult rifles, so maybe only 4 primary weapons then.

GRAW only really needs an M4 + mods and perhaps an alternative, lower calibre (7.62mm) sniper rifle. That would just about cover all my needs. The former because it is quite simply the definitive Sp. Ops. assault rifle and the latter because the M99 is just overkill for most scenarios.

- The big 50s (the sniper) is just too much gun sometimes and I find the scope especially to be too powerful. In real life these are mainly reserved for anti material sniping as I understand it. I would not mind one or two smaller sniper rifles in the 30 cal range. Apart from maybe a semi auto SIG sniper rifle or similar, or even a bolt action rifle, (there are many to chose from) my personal favorite (if less realistic perhaps) is the Vintorez. I loved this gun for stealth missions in the original GR. Light, accurate, powerful and silent with burst capability. WOW. Anpother darned nice weapon is the Walther WA 2000 sniper rifle.

- There are a number of possible options I would chose for an alternate standard side arm. The HK G36 is already in game as an AI only weapon. Love to see it as user selectable. The M4 is already available as a mod and that is a damned nice firearm that is often a weapon of choice for me. I like having the option of a 30 cal weapon but find that in many missions there is a need to stick to standard calibres so as to be able to pick up ammo in the battlefield or risk running out if you get into a heavy firefight. On ths theme, the existing MR-C weapon is very usable and I would like to see it in standard calibre so that I am able to do just that. I often do not chose it as I know that I will run the risk of running low in the mission even though I am careful to conserve ammo. Maybe I will mod this one myself - it takes a bit of application but as I am proposing to use an existing cartridge it should not be too hard. (I will report more on this soon.)

To be honest the 30cal is the 7.62round hence the M60. WWII used the 30cal but during the 1950's the introduction of the M60 using the same size round still kept the original M60 crew served. But with the invention of the M60E3 we see that the M60 becomes a single manned weapon system. NOW, the M240 replaces the M60 but still uses the same 7.62 round.

But for GRAW2 to be real, we need more REAL weapons not just what Grin decides to research. the M24 SWS is a heavy weight in the realm of Sniping against human targets. I'm thinking GRIN has a seriuosly skewed view of what my Fellow US forces carry. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a wider range of weapons. I still play GR1 for that very reason, to use the different weapons the modders provide. The IDF mod was my favourite with the Designated Marksman equipment and Tavors.

For assault rifles, keep the SCARs and upgunned Cryes but add a fully-customizable M4 series or HK416s. I love kitting my team with Snowfella's PEQs and seeing the lasers lighting up the place. For 7.62mm models add something like the Cobb MCR, XCR or the Mack System RAW. Whatever happened to the OICW from GR1? Or say its equivalent like the FN F2000?

For a sniper rifle add the SR25.

SMGs don't seem to be terribly effective in GRAW1 (leave them to R6) and I most often ditched the pistol from my loadout to save weight.

It'd be great to add scopes to any weapon, especially the MG. They should also add a weapon sight to the crosscom so you can shoot around corners without exposing yourself.

In some ways it would be good to be able to pick up the enemy's weapons but I agree its a short step from there to ending up with secret health packs lying around...

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in

The OICW from GR yielded to us the XM8. Apparently someone still believes that rifle will eventually field, but I just don't see it. The grenade launcher attached to it most likely won't make it into anyone's arsenal.

I can agree to adding the SPR to the game, as it's in use out there to some extent. ALSO I can agree to adding optics to LMG's, as that's what we're supposed to be able to do out here in the world. Too easy.

But I'll reiterate that I believe the international weapons should be left to the modders. The game at hand deals with US special forces types, who do NOT carry Steyr Aug's and AK-101's and SA-80's. Oh, my!

Ditch the M8. Ditch the M9. Add an HK23 or M1911. Add an M4A1. Hell, but the rights to the 1911 and M4 from the awesome Showfella and write it in! Work's already done, save for the sounds. Too easy. I'll record a .45 for ya if ya like.

oicw and fn f2000 would only make the noobtoob madness worse

i agree with rabbi, and a little addition, a P90 as primairy and a FN57 secondairy, maybe a flashbang (i just like the p90 and fn57 and care little on that point if the US uses it :P)

"IF" I'm not mistaken, I believe that the M8 was axed before GRAW released. something about that the weapon was a complete failure. I don't EVEN know if the body armor system will even be fielded. It may make the game look cool and all, but if the stuff isn't in the field, then don't put it in.

I do know of some special forces I've spoken to that have used the SCAR but, it appears from my conversations to be only with those special forces. :ph34r:

it really doesn't make sense to add weapons that are in development (OICW, M8) because they can be axed by the military as these two have been. I like the idea of GRIN trying to make a futuristic game based on weapons of the future. I know before say GR Island Thunder, the OICW was axed, so RSE could've done away with it.

I guess I'm asking for too much and being a perfectionist. :D

"IF" I'm not mistaken, I believe that the M8 was axed before GRAW released. something about that the weapon was a complete failure. I don't EVEN know if the body armor system will even be fielded. It may make the game look cool and all, but if the stuff isn't in the field, then don't put it in.

I do know of some special forces I've spoken to that have used the SCAR but, it appears from my conversations to be only with those special forces. :ph34r:

it really doesn't make sense to add weapons that are in development (OICW, M8) because they can be axed by the military as these two have been. I like the idea of GRIN trying to make a futuristic game based on weapons of the future. I know before say GR Island Thunder, the OICW was axed, so RSE could've done away with it.

I guess I'm asking for too much and being a perfectionist. :D

well at least give us the G36K then.... with the original aim for the nades (was in graw but deleted...)

or the AICW the austalian development brother of teh OICW which seems to be more succesful up till now.

I think we can expect more changes in weaponry in the near future due to new lighter stronger materials.

I don't EVEN know if the body armor system will even be fielded. It may make the game look cool and all, but if the stuff isn't in the field, then don't put it in.

Future Force is setup to test this new body armor style setup.

Designed just like a GHOST.

The game progresses in time remember...

its only just become 2007, who knows what wepons will come within the next few years.

"IF" I'm not mistaken, I believe that the M8 was axed before GRAW released. something about that the weapon was a complete failure.

It was canceled.

They should look to build an acceptable weaponry rather than space age high tech. The OICW was dropped i remember due to weight issues. I do know that the spec warriors do have scars right now. maybe after years of development, we finally have a replacement for the aging M16a2 and the M4 line.

Of COURSE the SCAR is only being used by Special Forces. It's the 'S' in SCAR, remember? It was developed specifically for them. In all likelihood the average rifleman will NEVER carry this weapon. I'd doubt even Rangers would have the opportunity.

I wouldn't say the M8 was a failure. It was a good rifle. It just didn't time it's arrival on the scene very well with the US government's budget woes. And so we're stuck with the aging (very kind word, Papa6... I'd have said COMPLETE PIECE OF CRAP...) M16/M4.

Let's remember that [GR], GR2, GRAW and GRAW2 are all about US Special Forces folks doing what they do. In the future, no less, as that future is predicted for purpose of fiction roughly seven years beforehand. Yeah, a lot can change in that time. But with our government writing the checks, seven years isn't much time to even change one's face paint, much less an entire family of rifles or sidearms.

And that's the approach that GRAW took to our friends in the 5th SFG. They used what's reportedly on the horizon or already fielding. As noted above, the body armor these guys wear in game has been touted for some time by the lovely (if not somewhat misguided about money) folks at Natick. The whole setup is almost a perfect replica of what they've been showing off at symposiums and such for at least a year. The SCAR has been fielding for roughly two years. The MR-C WAS supposedly in some stage of development (pre-prototype) last I read.

I can only support the notion of these other cool weapons in the same way they were used in [GR]- some geewhizz allied SF types help out in different missions, and therefore their weapons must be present in-game.

Of course, I don't think a Russian sniper will be a big player in fending off Mexicans in El Paso, TX, USA. Do you?

Remember what Ghost Recon is about. Using todays guns and future guns (which can give you a comparison on how for example a OICW would compare to an m16, or in GRAW a Scar compared to the canceled XM8. (Like the OICW in GR1 which didn't get pulled when it was canceled)

The XM8 (note M8 is a tank) was cancelled in 2005 (end of i do believe) Xbox GRAW i bet was in development already and since even though they are seperate games... the PC had to follow suit and keep it.

Of COURSE the SCAR is only being used by Special Forces. It's the 'S' in SCAR, remember? It was developed specifically for them. In all likelihood the average rifleman will NEVER carry this weapon. I'd doubt even Rangers would have the opportunity.

I wouldn't say the M8 was a failure. It was a good rifle. It just didn't time it's arrival on the scene very well with the US government's budget woes. And so we're stuck with the aging (very kind word, Papa6... I'd have said COMPLETE PIECE OF CRAP...) M16/M4.

Let's remember that [GR], GR2, GRAW and GRAW2 are all about US Special Forces folks doing what they do. In the future, no less, as that future is predicted for purpose of fiction roughly seven years beforehand. Yeah, a lot can change in that time. But with our government writing the checks, seven years isn't much time to even change one's face paint, much less an entire family of rifles or sidearms.

And that's the approach that GRAW took to our friends in the 5th SFG. They used what's reportedly on the horizon or already fielding. As noted above, the body armor these guys wear in game has been touted for some time by the lovely (if not somewhat misguided about money) folks at Natick. The whole setup is almost a perfect replica of what they've been showing off at symposiums and such for at least a year. The SCAR has been fielding for roughly two years. The MR-C WAS supposedly in some stage of development (pre-prototype) last I read.

I can only support the notion of these other cool weapons in the same way they were used in [GR]- some geewhizz allied SF types help out in different missions, and therefore their weapons must be present in-game.

Of course, I don't think a Russian sniper will be a big player in fending off Mexicans in El Paso, TX, USA. Do you?

The M16a2 IS a piece of junk by today's standards. But I got my first M16a2 back in 1987 when i was in basic training. that weapon was pretty accurate new.it replaced the "then" aging M16a1. M16a2 fired a higher velocity round then the a1.But the a1 could be drug in the mud like an ak47 and still fire. But yeah today you can say it's a piece of crap. the guys in Iraq and Afhganistan(sp?) are having jamming issues because the gritty sand is jamming them up. can't have that in combat.

added: as for the m16a1 comment about being drug in the mud and fired, is proven by vietnam vets I've served with and they told me from experience. The a1 was quite good.

Edited by Papa6

Although I would like to stick to my list, I am noticing that some of you aren't noting one of the things that was in [GR], that is, foreign characters with foreign weapons. The Ghosts are a specially trained Green Berets, and from my knowledge, one of the things that Green Berets do is train paramilitary fighters in foreign lands. I don't see why that cannot continue with this current conflict. I don't see what's wrong with having a couple of Mexican nationals (kinda like Galinsky and Osadze in [GR]) fight alongside the Ghosts for at least a couple of missions. This would open up the H&K G36E and HK 21E machine gun.

Hey, just a thought.

Edited by Hacksaww

This is what I would like to see:

PISTOLS:

HK USP .45 Tactical

M9 Beretta

MEU-SOC .45 ACP

SMG's:

HK MP7A1

HK MP5SD6

HK MP5A5

ASSAULT RIFLES:

M4 SOPMOD Block II

M16A4

FN SCAR L ( Both L and H with Standard, CQC and Sniper variants)

FN SCAR H

HK416

HK417

DESIGNATED MARKSMAN RIFLES:

M14 SOPMOD - Sage International EBR (Enhanced Battle Rifle)

SR-25 Mk11 Mod 0

SNIPER RIFLES:

M40A3

M107 .50 SASR

MACHINE GUNS:

Mk 46 Mod 0

Mk 48 Mod 0

SCOPES and SIGHTS:

EOTech HWS for all weapon systems

Aimpoint M68 CCO for all weapon systems

Trijicon ACOG + Trijicon RedDot (Gives both close quarter and distance shooting) for all weapon systems

Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 rifle scope for Designated Marksman and Sniper Rifles

Edited by Ballistic

I want weapons and sights that are actually in use.

M4

M16

SPR

SR25

M249SPW

M240

etc.

Ditto the rest of the gear. Stuff actually in use.

Same for the OPFOR.

I don't know what Ubi's issue with Colt is but it just looks silly without those rifles.

10+ assault rifles sounds good, but honestly I don't see what all those weapons bring to the game. I'd rather have fewer, well realised weapons.

Edited by spm1138