Couple of noob modding questions

Pritzl

OK, I've gotten the bundle extractor working and want to mod some of the weapon stats. In particular, I want to increase the number of rounds carried on the sniper rifle by default and perhaps lighten it a tad so I can carry a submachine gun and extra 'nades if I want to.

So what's my question?

(a) Do I have to extract the entire bundle or can I simply extract and mod the relevant .xml files and have them override the corresponding packed versions?

(b) Which files need to be modded? There seem to be multiple .xml files for each weapon including the summary weapon_data.xml file; not to mention I'm not 100% sure which files relate to the sniper rifle. Anything with "127" or "barrett" in the title is my best guess.

© Some of the number scales are hard to guess, what does a weight of "9" really mean? What are the limits? etc...

Thanks in advance.

You do not need to extract the entire bundle, just what you need (I have Papa's mod down to something like 10mb plus my own stuff rather than his 1.5gb simply by getting rid of excess files). As for figuring out what does what....well, it's a pain in the rear, but trial and error is all you can really do. :)

Hello Pritzl.

Ok first Nutlink is very much right, you do not need to extract the entire bundle though you will want to preserve the directory for your new mod.

I will start with the ammo amount. The following is the path of the first file you will need to edit.

Data/sb_templates/sb_invetory_data.xml

Now for what to edit in this file.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<!-- AMMO FOR SINGLEPLAYER AND COOP -->

<var name="ammo_max_556" type="number" default="10"/>

<var name="ammo_max_556_saw" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_max_crye" type="number" default="10"/>

<var name="ammo_max_9mm" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_max_762" type="number" default="10"/>

<var name="ammo_max_40mm" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_max_127" type="number" default="20"/> <(--- Change this number. It will determine the max number of bullets you will carry for the Barrett M-99.

<var name="ammo_max_m61" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_max_anm8" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_556" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_556_saw" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_crye" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_9mm" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_762" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_40mm" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_127" type="number" default="15"/> <(--- Change this number. It will determine the max number of bullets for the extra ammo for the Barrett M-99.

<var name="ammo_pack_50cal" type="number" default="0"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_m61" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_anm8" type="number" default="6"/>

<!-- AMMO FOR DOMINATION -->

<var name="ammo_max_domi_556" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_max_domi_556_saw" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_max_domi_crye" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_max_domi_9mm" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_max_domi_762" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_max_domi_40mm" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_max_domi_127" type="number" default="20"/> <(--- Change this number to do the same as above for other game types.

<var name="ammo_max_domi_m61" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_max_domi_anm8" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_556" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_556_saw" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_crye" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_9mm" type="number" default="4"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_762" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_40mm" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_127" type="number" default="15"/> <(--- Change this number to do the same as above for other game types.

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_50cal" type="number" default="0"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_m61" type="number" default="6"/>

<var name="ammo_pack_domi_anm8" type="number" default="6"/>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that for the other weapons those numbers effect the number of clips. If you wish to change the amount of bullets per clip then you need to make changes in the following. (Using scar_light as example)

Data/Units/weapons/u_scar_light.xml

Now for what to edit in this file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<units>

<xdefine name="scar_light( name_ext )">

<unit type="weapon" name="scar_light$name_ext" slot="12">

<model file="/weapons/scar_light/scar_light$name_ext.xml"/>

<depends_on unit="scar_light_mag$name_ext"/>

<depends_on unit="scar_ironsight$name_ext"/>

<depends_on unit="scar_tactical_grip$name_ext"/>

<depends_on unit="aimpoint$name_ext"/>

<script_class name="base" class="BulletWeapon"/>

<stats block="base_data"/>

<stats block="weapon_data">

<var name="ammo_type" value="556"/>

<var name="length_from_root" value="60"/>

<var name="clip_max" value="30"/> <(--- Change this number. It will determine the max bullets per clip.

Now for the number to show in the Hud durring weapon selection you need to change the following. Also you will change the weight in this same file so I will show you that as well.

Data/lib/managers/xml/weapon_data.xml

Now for what to change in this file. The numbers in red are what you need to change. Take note that you only need to change the number of rounds if you change the unit xml file. You won't need to make any change for the Barrett as it will always have 1 round per clip wich is in fact a bullet not a clip.

Far as the Barrett weight goes I changed mine as well. After some tests I found 5 or 6 works well enough and allows me to carry a sub or frags.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<weapons_data>

<weapon_data unit="barrett" name="barrett" weapon_id="1" inventory_slot="primary" gui_unit="barrett" price="800" damage="7" player_weapon="1" grenade="0" cal="127" wizby="5">

<bar_stats accuracy="0.5" stability="1" weight="9" impact="0.8" />

<stats caliber="12.7 x 99 mm" rpm="" velocity="850 m/s" firemodes="SS" capacity="1" info="info_barrett" />

<mods front="false" top="true" bottom="false">

<mod mod_id="1" default="1" />

<!--<mod mod_id="2" />-->

</mods>

</weapon_data>

<weapon_data unit="scar_light" name="scar_light" weapon_id="12" inventory_slot="primary" gui_unit="scar_l" weight="3.5" length="80" stability="1" price="120" damage="2" player_weapon="1" grenade="0" cal="556" wizby="2">

<stats caliber="5.56 x 45 mm" rpm="750" velocity="870 m/s" firemodes="SA FA" capacity="30" info="info_scar_light" />

<bar_stats accuracy="0.6" stability="0.6" weight="3.5" impact="0.6" />

<mods front="true" top="true" bottom="true">

<mod mod_id="12" default="1" />

<mod mod_id="11" />

<mod mod_id="8" />

<mod mod_id="14" />

<mod mod_id="13" />

</mods>

</weapon_data>

There you go. I hope this helps you out and anyone else who reads this that might have a simular question. Be sure to check your patch bundle first though and make sure these files have not been updated. If they have then edit the ones from the patch.

Edited by Beracus

[edit]Ignore hairbrained idiocy that follows in the next two posts. I think it was just a problem wih [GR] coop mode. See post #7 below.[/edit]

Getting an error. :mellow:

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.30

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(-1): cant set this to a value (type: <void>)

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\groupmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\extensions\groupunit.dsf(0)

Are you sure I don't have to mod the data/units/weapons/u_weapon_name.xml file as well?

[edit]OK, this is weird. I re-extracted both xml files (as well as the individual weapon files) from the bundle and didn't modify anything but I still get the exact same error. Strange huh?

Edited by Pritzl

I just tried modding only the number of rounds and I get this error:

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.30

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(-1): cant set this to a value (type: <void>)

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\script_network\gametype\memberdomination.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\membercommon.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\memberlist.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametype.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametypedomination.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametypedomination.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\networkmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\networkmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\levels\mp01\mp01.dsf(0)

Something tells me I'm missing a couple of extra edits somewhere else.

OK, now I'm stumped. It works fine on the second try. I deleted everything and re-extracted the two files, testing at each step. It worked right through to the end, no problems.

I wonder if it's because I tried to host an offline [GR] coop to test the first time around? I used a standard deathmatch map on the second set of tests. Do you need the original GR installed for them to work or something?

Edited by Pritzl

I think you may have run into a conflict with the multiplayer. Possible that if other folk do not have the same mod as you it might cause a problem. Long as you use it single play it works fine. I could be wrong here as I havn't played GRAW multiplay very much at all.

BTW Where do I find some multiplayer action? LOL