To Pre-Order or Not Pre-Order

Hey all,

Now I'm never one to stir up controversy (stop laughing Rocky)... but I wanted to share with you my thoughts on pre-order for GRAW 2 (assuming we get a PC version, of course... that's still up in the air...)

For the first time regarding a GR game I will not be pre-ordering.

I want to send a message to Ubi and Developer X (GRiN? Who knows...) - Last time I felt like a $50 entrance fee was required for beta testing. This time I will be exercising my rights with my wallet and withholding my pre-order until I see the (nearly?) final product.

My secondary hope is that enough people share the same concerns and do the same thing. Remember the old saying, "One person can make a difference"? Well, I'm hoping that's true and a BUNCH of people will make a big difference.

I want UBI / Developer X to know that I will not be granting them my hard-earned money without:

1) An appropriate amount of beta testing (internal and hopefully with people like us!)

2) A playable demo that is reasonably feature-complete (SP and MP) with no surprises like in GRAW

3) A good chance that the RTM code is **somewhat** bug-free

The only way I can see how that message is best sent before the game hits shelves is to not pre-order.

Now, I will also add this: if GRAW2 proves itself I will probably ante up the money once again. I'm not thrilled with the direction this game has taken but a good, solid, bug-free GRAW2 will be better than most in the same genre.

-jk

Callsign Speak_With_The_Wallet

You know the whole saying, "if we forget our history, we are doomed to repeat it?" I think that speaks volumes here concerning pre-orders.

GR2 - Delayed, Delayed, then never came out....(what happened to those who pre-ordered?)

GRAW - Delayed, Delayed, Came out needing MANY patches.

I've always thought it isnt smart to pay for something until i've tried it out first. Faith and my wallet aren't good friends.

Personally, I don't get where people think that if they don't buy a game that "it will show Ubisoft." I look at it another way. If enough people decide to not buy a game (not talking about preorder here), all it will do it tell the producers that there isn't enough interest and drop that series all together. I don't think that is what we want. We do want GRAW2, but we would like it to be different than GRAW and to have a lot of the same characteristics as GR1 - if I've read all these threads correctly.

To respond to the topic at hand, though, I have never pre-ordered and don't plan to in the foreseeable future.

I think the only way to send a message to the powers that be is to work with a development company with former members of team red storm.

There has to be somebody left from the original team that wasn't replaced with a pod person/clone programmed with the cross platform development mindset!

If we can work with them and a new fresh vision of what the future of ghost recon was supposed to be in the first place (a realistic, serious pc based military tactical sim)....help them to complete a project release....and then BUY that and buy it in droves.....

I think that would be the best "message" to send.

Edited by Stalker_Zero

We do want GRAW2, but we would like it to be different than GRAW and to have a lot of the same characteristics as GR1 - if I've read all these threads correctly.

:yes: We want a GRAW2 alright but it has to play like GR does. RSE did it before so what's so hard about producing a game that draws you in like a super magnet instead of one that has poor gameplay and more bugs than even I can count. :unsure:

We do want GRAW2, but we would like it to be different than GRAW and to have a lot of the same characteristics as GR1 - if I've read all these threads correctly.

You do bring up a good point. We know GRAW, and we know GRAW2 is "more of the same".

Perhaps it's time to let go of the dream. We hoped that GRAW would be [GR]+goodies. It wasn't. We hoped for GR4 but now we're sure we're getting GRAW2.

Perhaps it's time to just hang up the spurs. We're not going to change UBI's mind.

1) Either we get GRAW2 for the PC, which we all know ISN'T [GR]

2) We don't get anything for the PC

Perhaps it's time to bury the dream of a GR product that returns to it's roots, and move on.

@()@#*$@# do I have typing that.... it just ###### me off. But it doesn't make it wrong.

-jk

You know the whole saying, "if we forget our history, we are doomed to repeat it?" I think that speaks volumes here concerning pre-orders.

GR2 - Delayed, Delayed, then never came out....(what happened to those who pre-ordered?)

GRAW - Delayed, Delayed, Came out needing MANY patches.

I've always thought it isnt smart to pay for something until i've tried it out first. Faith and my wallet aren't good friends.

Funny you mention that. I hope with all the hype when GRAW came out, we'll be more ...should I say cautious? I think we ALL should run the demo into the ground, testing the damn thing and ZJJ or Rocky need to open a forum area for us to post bugs, issues and what not in the demo. together we'll be able to see if the issues from GRAW find their way into GRAW2. if these same issues exist in GRAW2..then no money from me!

I think we ALL should run the demo into the ground, testing the damn thing and ZJJ or Rocky need to open a forum area for us to post bugs, issues and what not in the demo.

The Beta test feedback forum that we created was quite successful/useful so I'm sure we will do the same again.

I think we ALL should run the demo into the ground, testing the damn thing and ZJJ or Rocky need to open a forum area for us to post bugs, issues and what not in the demo.

The Beta test feedback forum that we created was quite successful/useful so I'm sure we will do the same again.

That it was... although ubi's could have been if they knew how to run / set one up. but that is another rant...

On-topic: Why doesn't someone start a no-preorder campaign? Make UbiSoft show you the goods and prove it works before you lay down the big smackeroos! Let 'em know they're not gonna fool you again! Show them who's the BOSS here, the PLAYERS!

And don't forget to send me a postcard... ;)

i pre ordered graw becuase if i didnt do it when i had the $ i woudlnt have gotten it for a long time after it came out. and if i like what im seeing for graw 2 before it coems out then ill order it when i have the $ wether its before the game comes out or two years after it comes out

Ubisoft isn't going to care if 200 people from the internet fail to preorder their game.

That said, I almost never preorder, especially games that don't have any risk of selling out. Read reviews, and if it sounds good, pick it up right after it comes out.

I don't preorder but, I will certainly buy GRAW 2 or any further sequel. I don't see any other developer making a good squad shooter except Rogue Trooper, and that could be a disappointment like Soldner.

MOH Airborne looks interesting for a WW2 shooter, but, that genre has been done to death. The modern squad tac FPS is a real niche market. GRAW only needs some tweaking for a sequel.

Didn't I read that Rogue Trooper was third-person? And solo, not squad?

GRAW only needs some tweeking to be GRAW. GOOD game, but not complete just yet. Though 1.35 so far seems to have gotten us a good deal closer...

Tell ya what. I'll play the DEMO to death, since it puts not a penny in Ubisoft's pockets. But putting your money down on this game before you've played it is clearly a BAD idea. Rely on the screenshots released ahead of the game if you like, and even the trailers. We saw that MOST of that media preceding GRAW was from the Xbox360, and hence had ZERO bearing on the game we were delivered for PC. But it's YOUR money to gamble on Ubisoft cleaning up their act.

Now if y'all will pardon me, I just got my OFP GotY in the mail, so I've got some evaluating to do...

ok Honestly..... keep ur wallet tight .

1st. play demo

2nd. check day release ( if no delays etc. etc. same ol history )

3rd. but no least important "The minimun specs. for the product "

That will set your parameters , with out Fan boys or big mouth devs. etc..ok m8 . good luck

cheers

Personally, I don't get where people think that if they don't buy a game that "it will show Ubisoft." I look at it another way. If enough people decide to not buy a game (not talking about preorder here), all it will do it tell the producers that there isn't enough interest and drop that series all together. I don't think that is what we want. We do want GRAW2, but we would like it to be different than GRAW and to have a lot of the same characteristics as GR1 - if I've read all these threads correctly.

To respond to the topic at hand, though, I have never pre-ordered and don't plan to in the foreseeable future.

this post makes no sense. what I'm gathering from your post is that if we DO buy AW2, then they'll continue to pursue creating and developing the GR franchise. But I'll put this whole thing into another perspective. IF they miss with a game or franchise as a whole, then maybe it's best it dies a slow death. I just can't see myself buying BF2142 as an example since BF is such a botched work. but back to GRAW, if GRAW2 releases without a demo, then I hardly see many buying into GRAW2. GRAW has left a bad taste in alot of folks mouths.

So just flatout buying GRAW2 so they'll continue to develop the franchise doesn't make ANY sense. we need a demo to kick the tires and see if we like it before we buy it.

The only way I can see how that message is best sent before the game hits shelves is to not pre-order.

Since when is a production release (or its content) of a video game conditional on pre-orders?

if GRAW2 releases without a demo, then I hardly see many buying into GRAW2. GRAW has left a bad taste in alot of folks mouths.

So just flatout buying GRAW2 so they'll continue to develop the franchise doesn't make ANY sense. we need a demo to kick the tires and see if we like it before we buy it.

GR:AW had a demo, why assume that GR:AW2 would not as well? It's the best thing in the publishers marketing toolbox.

Pre-orders and demos? No thanks, that's taking the easy route...I like to live dangerously.

He steps up to the plate, leans into the box, and faces the pitcher.

Batter batter batter... swing batter batter.

this post makes no sense. what I'm gathering from your post is that if we DO buy AW2, then they'll continue to pursue creating and developing the GR franchise. But I'll put this whole thing into another perspective. IF they miss with a game or franchise as a whole, then maybe it's best it dies a slow death. I just can't see myself buying BF2142 as an example since BF is such a botched work. but back to GRAW, if GRAW2 releases without a demo, then I hardly see many buying into GRAW2. GRAW has left a bad taste in alot of folks mouths.

Exactly. Buying garbage keeps getting garbaged released. Honestly, I would just as well see the PC version die quickly than a protracted death due to people buying it and it just getting worse. Ubi can save money and put it to more games that casual gamers like and let the PC folks spend their money elsewhere. Who knows, maybe they will be happier that way. RIP to RSE originality and quality for the PC.