How rude of me

I'm a flight sim nut who recently got GRAW:PC as part of a Core2Duo E6300 purchase. I'm glad that was the case as it runs well (after patching) even with only 1GB of RAM and a 7600GT card. The system wouldn't have survived with my old P4C 2.4GHz machine/Radeon 9700.

I have minimal experience with tactical shooters; only played [GR] for a short while a long time ago. Perhaps that is why I keep dying every 30 seconds! :blush: It's probably also the reason that, so far, I'm thoroughly enjoying GRAW. It's quite cerebral as opposed to run-n-gun which I loathe (######-poor reflexes) and the AI is refreshingly autonomous - most of the time. ;)

So, to the GRiN reps I see frequenting the forum, you have at least one satisfied customer. *ducks and hides* Mind you that's only for the moment. It's inevitable that I'll lambast your work in a few weeks or so. :P

hope to see you online in one of the servers dispite of the slow reflexes

So long as I'm on the other team, I'm sure you would! :lol:

Nope, I have no illusions. I absolutely suck when it comes to first-person games. I'll probably still hop online at some point to provide you guys with some target practice but I'd like to finish the offline campaign first; expect me sometime in 2008... :wall:

Edited by Pritzl

hope to see you online in one of the servers dispite of the slow reflexes

So long as I'm on the other team, I'm sure you would! :lol:

Nope, I have no illusions. I absolutely suck when it comes to first-person games. I'll probably still hop online at some point to provide you guys with some target practice but I'd like to finish the offline campaign first; expect me sometime in 2008... :wall:

Good to have fresh meat (erm... faces) aboard. WELCOME to what is likely the best game fan community out there...

Welcome, I hear you and see that you are a bit new to the game, I will not shoot headshot on you the first minutes on a sevrer. :)

Headshots? You could kill me with a bloody knife if you wanted to! I'm dying 5-10 times a mission, offline, with the game on Normal. Fresh meat indeed! :blink:

I'm a flight sim nut who recently got GRAW:PC as part of a Core2Duo E6300 purchase. I'm glad that was the case as it runs well (after patching) even with only 1GB of RAM and a 7600GT card. The system wouldn't have survived with my old P4C 2.4GHz machine/Radeon 9700.

I have minimal experience with tactical shooters; only played [GR] for a short while a long time ago. Perhaps that is why I keep dying every 30 seconds! :blush: It's probably also the reason that, so far, I'm thoroughly enjoying GRAW. It's quite cerebral as opposed to run-n-gun which I loathe (######-poor reflexes) and the AI is refreshingly autonomous - most of the time. ;)

So, to the GRiN reps I see frequenting the forum, you have at least one satisfied customer. *ducks and hides* Mind you that's only for the moment. It's inevitable that I'll lambast your work in a few weeks or so. :P

Well I don't have the time to learn to fly well.... aces over europe/the pacific was ok, but now combat flight sim, takes 10 min for me to start, and I get shot down instantly..... even with my reflexes...

Welcome to the GR community....... :thumbsup:

Well I don't have the time to learn to fly well.... aces over europe/the pacific was ok, but now combat flight sim, takes 10 min for me to start, and I get shot down instantly..... even with my reflexes...

Welcome to the GR community....... :thumbsup:

Well that's the thing with flight sims, the good ones at least, it's not so much about reflexes as a sound grasp of air combat principles. I think I could recite Robert Shaw's book from cover to cover after 7 years of simming. Of those, the last five have been all on a single sim, IL-2 Sturmovik* and its addons. Right now I'm on hiatus waiting for the complete DVD set to be released. Should be out this December though Canadian availability is still up in the air. (no pun intended)

*Shameless plug for the best flight sim series period. Complete set will feature 300+ aircraft, the most ever in any sim.

Hi and welcome to GR.net :)

Best way to stop yourself being killed so much is to stick tight to your fellow soldiers (those that look like they have a plan of course). And when it all kicks off, keep a wall or hard object between you and the enemy lol :thumbsup:

I'm also a keen simmer, I play lock on - even have an X52 HOTAS :thumbsup:

Welcome to GR.net. There are many different gamers here who appreciate many different genres. I am a simmer too and enjoy FS and the iL2 series along with naval strategy games like Silent Hunter 2 and 3 and racing sims like Papy's NASCAR Racing Series. I think you will find our iL-2 Forgotten Battles report pretty cool.

Have a good time here and if you can, pick up the Ghost Recon Gold Edition. With all the mods out, it will be playable for a long time to come even if the graphics are slightly dated.

Old Ghost Recon with expansion packs = Desert Siege and Island Thunder HIGHLY RECOMENDED !!

play it on UBI , Xfire , Tha ALL SEEN EYE , Game Spy via I.P. support T.S , etc.............. :yes:

and there's TONS of Mods and Maps , missions , retextured maps , a full armoury , Total conversions you name it .

Replayability 100%

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

give it a fly .

Cheers

Edited by Cuchillo*

Now that's a game I would never play. The hooplah over an apparently bugged engine aside, it's too FPS, let-see-how-fast-you-can-click, for my liking. Even the original, rather robust BF1942 did not appeal to me in the least. If you haven't gathered, I'm not the 1337est gamer out there. ;)

Nice to see so many simmers here. Right sort of crowd in my book. Average age of simmers = 35, makes me feel young.

X-45 here Dazza, plus CH pedals and TrackIR. I'm constantly terrified of the day I'll walk out to the corner store for smokes with that silly hat reflector still on. I'd be pegged for an ET nut. :D

Deuces, if you ever do consider trying out a combat sim, give IL2:FB complete edition a whirl. The quality of the product out-of-the-box aside, it received dev support like no other game I've ever played. e.g. whereas some developers are reluctant to even fix bugs, Oleg Maddox and Co. have added an incredibly long list of planes and maps for free as well as a big upgrade to next-gen FM technology. Indeed, I'd buy anything with Oleg's name on it, sight unseen.

Edited by Pritzl

If it's a buggy game you like... you've come to the right place....

At least BF2142 WORKS... unlike this GRAW POS.

And don't get me wrong.. I like GRAW!!

At least I like to keep telling myself that.....

"There's no place like home.. there's no place like home.... GRAW really IS a good game.. GRAW really IS a good game.."

Well that's the thing with flight sims, the good ones at least, it's not so much about reflexes as a sound grasp of air combat principles. I think I could recite Robert Shaw's book from cover to cover after 7 years of simming. Of those, the last five have been all on a single sim, IL-2 Sturmovik* and its addons. Right now I'm on hiatus waiting for the complete DVD set to be released. Should be out this December though Canadian availability is still up in the air. (no pun intended)

*Shameless plug for the best flight sim series period. Complete set will feature 300+ aircraft, the most ever in any sim.

I have had my copy of 46 ordered for a week or so now. Expected release in Europe right now is Dec 15th.

If it's a buggy game you like... you've come to the right place....

At least BF2142 WORKS... unlike this GRAW POS.

And don't get me wrong.. I like GRAW!!

At least I like to keep telling myself that.....

"There's no place like home.. there's no place like home.... GRAW really IS a good game.. GRAW really IS a good game.."

only problem i have with GRAW is the GL bug now and then that this patch should fix.

Well, there is another bug that is worse. Actually it's more of a "feature". It makes game play rather dull...

There are very few people playing this game. Most of the people that I have played with GR online don't have the rigs to support this game... so they don't play it. And I don't blame em. I wouldn't take out a second mortgage to play this game.

Heck... there's more people playing the BF2142 DEMO than GRAW!! In fact... I'll bet there are more people playing [GR] on UBI.

This game is a huge disappointment and there is NOTHING GriN can do to fix that.

UBi could GIVE it away free and it still wouldn't increase its popularity.

So welcome to the community.. though it's more of a cemetary than a community.

Well, there is another bug that is worse. Actually it's more of a "feature". It makes game play rather dull...

There are very few people playing this game. Most of the people that I have played with GR online don't have the rigs to support this game... so they don't play it. And I don't blame em. I wouldn't take out a second mortgage to play this game.

Heck... there's more people playing the BF2142 DEMO than GRAW!! In fact... I'll bet there are more people playing [GR] on UBI.

This game is a huge disappointment and there is NOTHING GriN can do to fix that.

UBi could GIVE it away free and it still wouldn't increase its popularity.

So welcome to the community.. though it's more of a cemetary than a community.

Armed assault has a very simlar recommended requirement as GRAW. Those people won't be playing anything else but GR1.

The only other bug... unknown error ... that i have seen is if you try to join a server during a match change. You may get an error in unknown... but it doesn't crash you. You just rejoin.

I'll be honest and say that I don't find GRAW inordinately buggy. Certainly well within the expected range for current games; not that they should have bugs mind you, but it seems to be standard fare nowadays.

Certain gameplay decisions are dodgy (no ROE, no quicksaves, no clambering over small obstacles, etc..) but these are just that, choices. One player may find them exceptional, another, pure hell. As such, not liking these decisions does not make GRAW a bad game, it just makes it a bad game for you.

Performance-wise (neither bug nor gameplay) I'm similarly unphased. While I lament the absence of AA, I'm really not noticing it in-game. Don't know why. And as for the monster rigs required to run it, I'm sorry I can't sympathize because flight-sims are demanding by default. e.g IL-2 is over 5 years old and required a 1GHz PC even then. Lock-On Modern Air Combat (LOMAC) is still far too tough to run at anything above 1024x768 for most people and its 2+ years old. While the box says only 800MHz and 256MB RAM required, I challenge anyone to run it acceptable frames with anything less than 2Ghz and a Gig of RAM.

The fact that I can run GRAW on my lowly E6300/1GB/7600GT and average above 30fps is more than satisfactory.