Company of Heroes

MarkVanDamme

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What nation do you usually play as Rocky? It would be fun to challange you some time ;)

I think if you host it defaults to US, and I'm going to host to ensure I only play n00bs like me. If anyone wants a game and is not a vet, lemme know!

What nation do you usually play as Rocky? It would be fun to challange you some time ;)

I think if you host it defaults to US, and I'm going to host to ensure I only play n00bs like me. If anyone wants a game and is not a vet, lemme know!

Well, I've never played MP in CoH before and I can only beat normal, unless it's Vire River Valley where I can beat hard but only through extreme defensive play and with broken bridges :ph34r:

I mostly play as USA so I'm not sure how much I will suck with the Germans, probably a lot :ermm:

I just completed my first skirmish set on to Annihilate. And I won, but not without losses. I probably lost a total of three squads in all, nearly lost a tank destroyer to a Stug (but I repaired it in time - the Stug couldn't stand up to my two tank destroyers and one Sherman piled onto it), lost about three engineer squads in all too, and I lost some obeservation posts, but manged to rebuild themsoon after.

I played as Airborne, and got all the commander upgrades, dropped paratroopers on the frontline to support my tanks, then dropped an AT gun. I then drop some supplies, went to claim them and a mortar was inside. So I thought what the hell, commence the assualt. I set up some sandbags put the AT gun and the morat (and later an MG team) behind there, with tanks on each flank of the position and an Airborne squad nearby. The recce plane would reveal some buildings for my AT and mortar teams to fire on, backed up by several airstrikes (which I aimed at their HQ towards the tank pool, which they had conveniently built adjacent to their HQ.) The I moved the tanks and Airborne squad forward a little to reveal more terrain for my MG/AT/mortar teams. Then I moved the my other tanks (Sherman croc and ordinary Sherman), jeep and additional Airborne squad in on the other flank (needed to capture some strategic points on the way.)

I'm loving this game now I know how to play it properly. The destructable terrain is awesome, the enemy had hidden an AT gun by a broken section of concrete wall, I piled two tank destroyers onto it and the entire wall collapsed revealing all the troops hidden behind it, which I made quick work of. Just for once they didn't use any mortar teams or snipers on me, maybe I was too good quick for them?

Well I just got my butt kicked again.

The guy that joined had a record of something like 12w 14l against my 1loss. so I told him it was for noobs only, and he said, you learn by watching the replays - and that's pretty much what i did lol, I learned a couple of things about how he managed to beat me in under 40 minutes lol.

If you are around in a few hours I might manage to sneak in one more game before Santa comes :ermm:

You guys got any tips for positioning of barbed wire/sandbags/mines? I'm currently positioning the barbed wire as to channel enemy troops into one area and have an MG covering that area. I'm currently placing sandbags infront of and covering the flanks (where necessary) of AT guns and sometimes MG or mortar teams. Depending on the position of a certain building I've garrisoned, I'll somteimes put sandbags infront of the building etc so and enemy mortar rounds etc laning nearby will do less damage to the building. TBH, I haven't yet used mines or tank traps, but I'm gonna start to use them. Try and channel the enemy vehicle into one choke point and reign fiery death on them from within the treeline, hehe. I'm currently covering major positions with MG teams etc, for example, I'll set an MG down to cover a stretch of road etc.

Also, what significance does garrisoning the allied MG defense post (the building, not the deployable one) have? Does it increase the range of the gunner or allow more troops to fire from within or what?

Edited by WytchDokta

You guys got any tips for positioning of barbed wire/sandbags/mines? I'm currently positioning the barbed wire as to channel enemy troops into one area and have an MG covering that area. I'm currently placing sandbags infront of and covering the flanks (where necessary) of AT guns and sometimes MG or mortar teams. Depending on the position of a certain building I've garrisoned, I'll somteimes put sandbags infront of the building etc so and enemy mortar rounds etc laning nearby will do less damage to the building. TBH, I haven't yet used mines or tank traps, but I'm gonna start to use them. Try and channel the enemy vehicle into one choke point and reign fiery death on them from within the treeline, hehe. I'm currently covering major positions with MG teams etc, for example, I'll set an MG down to cover a stretch of road etc.

Also, what significance does garrisoning the allied MG defense post (the building, not the deployable one) have? Does it increase the range of the gunner or allow more troops to fire from within or what?

I sometimes put barbwire around strategic points. I think it works pretty well against USA since they have to pay for their "wire cut thingy" for their engineers. The Germans however gets it for free.

Edited by Hockeystick

Well, much as I love the game I am about ready to throw the towel in!

I get whipped again, for the third time now. This time he seemed to have tanks on the go very quickly, so I saved the replay and watched his strategy. Then I tried the same thing against the computer to see how I would fare, and got beat hard again!

:wall::wall:

Maybe I am just not up to the task of a RTS!

Well, much as I love the game I am about ready to throw the towel in!

I get whipped again, for the third time now. This time he seemed to have tanks on the go very quickly, so I saved the replay and watched his strategy. Then I tried the same thing against the computer to see how I would fare, and got beat hard again!

:wall::wall:

Maybe I am just not up to the task of a RTS!

dont give up rocky!:) its a tough art to master, but the feeling of satisfaction after conquering your opponent after a 2 hour battle is second to none! well..there are a FEW that can beat it I guess, but I think this is the wrong forum for talking about them ;)

Rocky I really wish I wasn't at home and hence forth with a crappy internet connection, or I would totally play you sometime. But really man, don't throw in the towel, RTS MP is really hard to get good at, it takes serious time, my advice would be to play people you know first, then move out into the harder realm, also watch replays and try to figure out where you went wrong, also check out the strats over at Company of Heroes Heaven.

Edited by Kamakazi

Hey Rocky, I used to routinely get my butt handed to me in Starcraft MP at LAN parties by guys 15 years younger than me.

When I watched them play it blew my mind how fast they could move around the map, select units, build new ones, harvest resources, and rush an opponent all at the same time.

Of course time spent learning strategies and tech trees specific to each RTS is important to success, but I also think the players' age has something to do with how good you are at RTS games ... :lol:

Remember that the AI is sometimes smarter than the human when it comes to thinking outside the box. They constantly tries to flank you and take different routes. The tactics your opponent used against you Rocky might work better against human players since they usually don't think the same way as the AI.

Ex.

cohleveljh8.jpg

When I played the DEMO for the first couple of times I always forgot to secure one area (the red ring). Which usually resulted in defeat.

Now I always tend to secure my lines before I attack.

Edited by Hockeystick

Try playing as the Germans. Take the defensive strategy and try to rush and build 88's, bunkers, and hidden AT guns at key areas. With the defenses in place, then just build tanks and flatten them.

Or when playing as the US, just keep buying the Army Rangers. They already have bazookas and with the upgrade they are pretty deadly against anything.

Eh, these strategies work against the computer but I've never played online (darn dialup) so you might lose terribly. ;)

I would suggest playing in a team game and make sure your teammate has teamspeak up and running.... :D

Well, it's make or break tonight, and this might very well settle the terrible point that CR6 make regarding age. >_<

I showed my brother CoH a couple of nights ago, both he and his son CJ had a quick game. CJ has just been on the phone - he bought a copy (yes him, not his Dad lol), so tonight he has challenged me to a game online.

CJ is ten.

%^&*

You have more experience Rocky so it shouldn't be any problem for you man :)

Just build a wepons support center early (yes, I changed my mind, WSC is better than a barracks). Don't waste any fuel since you will need that for your supply yard.

When that's done, build a tank depot if you play as Airborne. Otherwise, buld a motor pool to counter the Stugs.

Now you can build a barracks.

Good luck!