Company of Heroes

MarkVanDamme

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this game is simply amazing, as far as i can tell after playing four missions at a friends pc...but pretty soon i noticed the gameplay and the resource-system is the same like warhammer 40k dawn of war(BIG suprise - same developer. anyways it still is my favourite RTS) so i didn't bother buying it...so far. I'll get back to it when it is cheaper to finish the campaign for good. :thumbsup:

Yes, this game is simply amazing, as far as i can tell after playing four missions at a friends pc...but pretty soon i noticed the gameplay and the resource-system is the same like warhammer 40k dawn of war(BIG suprise - same developer. anyways it still is my favourite RTS) so i didn't bother buying it...so far. I'll get back to it when it is cheaper to finish the campaign for good. :thumbsup:

well, as similiar the two systems are, they are still quite diffrent which you will notice after a few hours , COH is alot more sophisticated and fine tuned than DOW ever was(even tho that too of course was an excellent game)

and its real strength is ofcourse multiplayer, man that stuff can really get your heart pumping...CALLIOPE IN THE FIELD!

MP never really was my strength..I always put more attention to the SP(SP is the part I love about GRAW and many other games, sooooooooo many). MP never really got to me, I play games LAN with my buddies. Playing online doesn't do it for me. Except for Co-Op, I don't know why, but Co-Op gets me everytime....I still cry sometimes for Star Wars Republic Commando without Co-Op for the PC-version....one of my favourites in SP. No other game made me laugh so hard, when your teammates got nothing else to do but push each others buttons. :lol:

Anywho, I WILL buy COH and while I'm at it I will of course check out the MP. :whistle:

Yeah, I'm a SP guy too.

The best thing about CoH is the dynamic environment. When you bomb the ground or destroy a tank or an airplane, stuffs like craters and destroyed vehicles remains to the end of the game. Destoryed vehivles becomes new cover etc.

I love it :)

Edited by Hockeystick

Wow you thiunk thats a big demo? I decided to grab another demo while I was at fileplanet, so I went for City of Villians - 2 and a half Gig!!!

2.5 Gb????? damn, that is big. i can still remember the days when a demo was just 5 mb.

but i have to say Company of Heroes is a great game, i usually rate games by the amount of sweat in the palms of my hands after playing for a while and i have say CoH really got me going.

This game really lets you take in and be a part of all the action.

Anyone tried the mapeditor yet? i have seen some cool looking maps on the Relic forums.

I love this game - it's very addictive. It's been a long time since I sunk my theeth into a typical RTS-formula game and things ahve certainly come a long way since Warcraft III.

The campaign was an excellent tutorial for MP and skirmish, and I learned a lot playing it through to the end. A big black mark - two of the last four missions had arbritraty timers attached to them and that took me away from the slow, deliberate control point attrition I'd grown accustomed to. I found the game quite deep and stimulating when played that way but when forced into a time limit I frequently acted rashly and got everyone killed. Those missions would have been better without it.

My other complaint is that the skirmish mode is waaay too hard. I've only played on 'Easy' in skirmish ('Normal' in the campaign) and I find that the enemy is too powerful at the beginning and the first hour or two is a constant struggle for survival while you build up the resources to actually challenge the CPU.

This is nothing new, constant small raids and harassment by the CPU oppnent has alwasy been a staple, but too frequently my base was properly invaded and nearly destroyed, forcing me into massive rebuilding projects that were interrupted by yet more debilitating assaults. It's very frustrating and a tad unfair: in a couple of missions the enemy came after me with tanks in the first 5-10 minutes before I even had the resources to arm my men with sticky bombs or lay enough mines in defense - neither of which are great against tanks anyway. There was no chance at that point of AT guns, bazzokas or my own armour - I was half an hour away from that kind of power. That kind of glaring imbalance should be reserved for the hardest settings.

The best solution for this game (while I still enjoy the RTS build and defend, then attack mechanic) would have been to have an army points system like in Total War for the skirmish mode only. You could build your forces based on the type of map and your style of play then launch it against whatever the CPU or multiplayer opponent has also chosen. Points-wise they'd be evenly matched on paper but whether those points were spent wisely would go a long way to determing the outcome. No manufacturing, but control points could confer more resources to determine what reinforcements can be called - or even have a reserve of paratroops or armour that can be used as a wildcard later in the match. That would have made the mode perfect IMO.

I've only ever really played space type RTSs before. I tried Faces of War, but it didn't really grab me. The Company of Heroes demo is pretty good though. I've just done the 4 tutorial missions and they were cool, I liked zooming in and checking out the detail on the sodiers and tanks etc, very cool. I can imagine things get extremely hectic when things get busier though...

Yup, there are missions that requiere your attention at multiple spots at the same time(moving with tanks from the left side to attack an enemy position, cut off the exists on the right with infantry...yes, the enemy does run away. infantry gets busy you check on them, same time your tanks are getting busted and need repairs, but the repair-groups are getting attacked so you have to defend them on their way etc.) but that is lovely..makes the game more intense. I'm looking forward to all missions I missed so far...but since ArmA arrived today, I'm going to be busy with that for a while now. ;)

Completed the demo.

I enjoy setting up a defensive position before an attack comes in - getting the mines and barbed wire out, setting up some AT etc. But when all hell breaks loose it's all a bit much LOL!

thats what I felt at first too, it takes a few skirmish/mp games until you fully grasp how to play and not have a heart attack in the process but beyond that its really one of the best mp games ive played in years I think...its very intense but never chaotic and random, its really a game of skill ! DeNicholo!Williams!ON THE POINT!"

Bought it, now I only need to get XP or Vista to play it.

Sorry - don't mean to hijack thread - just want to let sucide commando know.

Graphics improvement just by running XP is a huge improvement over WIN 2000.

I was late to change over - only did it last year in fact.

But the difference was huge - playing GR was like buying a new game!! Try it.

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd