GRAW2 news

Papa6

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why expand a game that hardly anyone is playing or even talking about?

Face it - AW for PC has failed. Poor design, poor content, poor release strategy.

People have lost faith in Grin; people have lost faith in any future for AW.

"People"? I know that there is a tribe which call itself the "People", "the Players" or "The Community" *Gasp*, who says that GRAW is lousy to the bone. But I wouldn't grant that tribe any of the titles they claim. :P

YMMV, and yours are quite different from mine (I agree with release strategy, as in having to patch to get the game really Gold). The reason for making it a standalone, and even perhaps a GRAW2 is of course to throw the net again and try to catch as many players as possible - nothing wrong with that. GRAW sold good and a sequel will probably do the same, even if those who don't play the game says that it isn't good enough for them (I don't play the BF-series but it seems to do well without me). :)

I've lost no faith in GRiN. They're good stuff. I think their engine is more a run-n-gun one (anyone notice how it handles drops from elevation?), but they've done what they were asked. Arguably even more.

I have zero faith in Ubisoft. SCDA was Ubi's chance to prove me wrong, and they flunked. Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. Like the creepy guy in Constantine with the odd accent, they seem to just LIKE BUGS at Ubi. So F them. I've bought my last Ubisoft title....

And since they have yet to sell the rights to the GR name, I guess you know where I'll be come time for GRAW3 (cuz you know GRAW2 will be like GR2... Damn the PC's, full speed ahead!). Playing something else...

Papa yeah it's a resource hog, but I gotta tell you the new Unreal Engine is worse. The Splinter Cell demo brings my rig to it's knees at the same settings as GRAW. We're talking about 10-13 fps for SCDA and 35-40 for GRAW (1280x720 med settings/standard setting for SCDA). If GRAW2 uses the Disel engine, by the time it's released it will be a middle of the road game resource wise. Games like SCDA and R6:Vegas are going to need more powerful HW than GRAW that is for sure. After that demo, and seeing the upcoming games, I think the arguments that GRAW requires too high reqs for hardware will fade away.

The Splinter Cell demo uses the Unreal Engine 2.5, not the UE3. ;)

2.5 or 3 so... I was wrong but it's a bug ridden un optimized mess as a result of UBI messing around with it. The high system reqs - even though it's not the latest version make GRAW look middle of the road at this point. That was what I trying to express. Saying that GRAW has really high requirements isn't going to be applicable now that SCDA has hit (and soon R6:Vegas).

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

@ Mr. Reed

How do you know GRAW failed?

Some proof would be nice, and no nobody-post-here-anymore-BS.

Most players buy games by it's singleplayer content, and that's a fact. Also, most players don't even post at forums.

take a look at all the goose eggs in gamespy. at any time TAW's server and BDA's servers are really the only ones with any significant amounts of players on them. others are usually 0/12, 0/24 or the same.

snowfella mad a great mod, but actually how many use mods? they only work if you get everyone to use them. otherwise you have to delete it from your GRAW folder or move the mod folder entirely.

but you pro GRAW people always expect someone to show you proof. After [GR] modding, GRAW is dying a very quick death. [GR] mods were coming out by the loads. we found out about them always in the works.

But the proof you seek means you needed to be here back in the hey day of [GR] an dsee how many mods were advertised released or were in production. that would be the proof to quiet the nay sayers that GRAW is essentially dead.

Here is a snippet of sept 2003 and see how many mods were in the works or released. not to exclude the other stuff like competition ladders and such. this is just from on emonth. and after GRAW [GR] was out for a LONG time.

Edited by Papa6

take a look at all the goose eggs in gamespy. at any time TAW's server and BDA's servers are really the only ones with any significant amounts of players on them. others are usually 0/12, 0/24 or the same.

Of course there are many empty servers as one can't expect people to play on their servers 24/7. But there are other servers than those mentioned who got a decent amount of players on them (BRP, CCI, Tanatos, GG, to mention some). It is more to the point to state how many players are online and that amounts to about appr. 280 or so on a good night. I agree that it isn't that much - it got its reasons of course, bad release, "good" anticopy for MP, step req. are some. There are plenty of threads about that - but it is more than needed to fill up the two (!) mentioned servers. And with about +35 teams at PGL I don't got any need for hoards of players to get satisfaction out of playing public or ladder.

Back with [GR] I played very much most evenings (no family or kids back then), but the competition was almost nil. Not many good fps out at all, not to mention tactical ones. X-box et al. were not even on the agenda.

Well I really hope that the patch will be good and of course, soon.

@ Mr. Reed

How do you know GRAW failed?

Some proof would be nice, and no nobody-post-here-anymore-BS.

Most players buy games by it's singleplayer content, and that's a fact. Also, most players don't even post at forums.

snowfella mad a great mod, but actually how many use mods? they only work if you get everyone to use them. otherwise you have to delete it from your GRAW folder or move the mod folder entirely.

but you pro GRAW people always expect someone to show you proof. After [GR] modding, GRAW is dying a very quick death. [GR] mods were coming out by the loads. we found out about them always in the works.

But the proof you seek means you needed to be here back in the hey day of [GR] an dsee how many mods were advertised released or were in production. that would be the proof to quiet the nay sayers that GRAW is essentially dead.

Here is a snippet of sept 2003 and see how many mods were in the works or released. not to exclude the other stuff like competition ladders and such. this is just from on emonth. and after GRAW [GR] was out for a LONG time.

You must not have been on for a bit... i haven't seen TAW's full in a while. Usually BDA, Phantom Warfare (no GL ARRGH), Sometimes Core when there not on custom maps, Titans of war (co-op), and now and then AttackforceZ will have 15 or so players.

ok to bring the honesty out here, it was a weekend, last weekend and i was ill. but i logged on to gamespy and there are numerous servers listed. alot of zeros, some [GR] coop's with 4 here and 2 there but few. the only two servers that had REAL heavy action was TAW's and BDA's. but when i consistently, and i do play quite a bit, those two servers are usually full. TAW's isnt always on, but when it's not on, then it's BDA's server that's usually full.

but I see mostly emtpy non used servers. this from a game that's only 6 months old. I find i enjoy GRAW more when I mentally tell myself this isn't Ghost Recon :thumbsup:

But back to the BDA server, whatever they're doing, they do it right, because they always have heavy traffic on their server, sometimes domination and sometimes Team Deathmatch.

Added: here's a thought; with all the high sales that Ubi got from GRAW, where are all those people? a majority? even a minority? the people on gamespy are scattered across the world in europe and australia and whereever. with so many sales of GRAW, you'd think that the servers would be used more...or is this indicative of something else? :shifty:

Edited by Papa6

You must not have been on for a bit... i haven't seen TAW's full in a while. Usually BDA, Phantom Warfare (no GL ARRGH), Sometimes Core when there not on custom maps, Titans of war (co-op), and now and then AttackforceZ will have 15 or so players.

Sorry Roco, but the Titans of War server is down as of the 10th of this month. :(

Well, have played little Splinter cell: Double agent now and I don´t know how you can make the port from console worse.

It don´t let you configure the buttons as you want to, it doesnt let you configure mouse settings as you want to, it don´t save video settings correctly. It feels like the only thing on the screen you see is the back of the agents head. The fps is not great, on my system I have 30+ at the first map at least, but then I don´t know exactly what settings I am using. I think I gotten 1680x1050 by changing the ini at least.

My confidence in UBI is dropping for every game, or console port is more like it, someone elegantly put it on another forum I was on:

"EAT ###### UBI SOFT!"

or another comment on that the framerate was bad:

"the game itself sucks badly, so if the framerate is bad who cares!"

Well, I am still hoping for a great GRAW 2, but if we even get it I assume it will be another rush jobb, a buggy mess stressed through to coincide with the 360 release. But miracles could happen and I really hope we get one. But personally I think that UBI is the last company we should expect anything from.

My personal thought is that GRIN or some other company should just make a GR by themselves and just call it something else. We all would now that it is GR, but the name would be different.

Edit: You could probably make a console port worse, I was just irritated.

Edited by semjonov

Sorry Roco, but the Titans of War server is down as of the 10th of this month. :(

Ahh i was going by what i had noticed last week as i was on vacation (hunting over the weekend)

That's to bad.

Last night .... it seemed like there was a lot of server crashing

XE's dropped 5 times when i was in it. PW must have dropped also because it was at 23 and when i left XE's it was at 3

Wondering if Gamespy is throwing server fits once again.

I started to play the campaign again yesterday, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. There are of course a few issues with it, but it was still lots of fun.

I would really love to see this game polished up. Its on the verge of dying (multiplayer TvT), but an expansion/booster/Graw 2 add on may save the day.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

Added: here's a thought; with all the high sales that Ubi got from GRAW, where are all those people? a majority? even a minority? the people on gamespy are scattered across the world in europe and australia and whereever. with so many sales of GRAW, you'd think that the servers would be used more...or is this indicative of something else? :shifty:

Apparently they are doing something else, and that is the only thing which matter in this case - whatever they might do. My guess would be that the bad release is the main culprit when it comes to damaging the MP-community. Releasing a game which takes some months to get MP-ready isn't very good. The word is out so fast when it comes to internet communities so there is little chance to do damage control when damage is done. Imagine a release with a MP GRAW as it looks like now; surely it is reasonable that there would be a lot more players online.

Another interesting question is, what size of a community can a realistic tactical shooter (as I hold GRAW to be) count with these days? Surely more than GRAW got, but I think it unlikely that a good tactical fps can get even a fraction of the size of CoD’s, BF’s, ET’s, CS’s et ali’s community

I think GRAW2 is going to be a COMPLETE new game. of course I'm speculating. but that said, GRAW2 will have to be an entirely new game with more adjustable features, things we need but, GRAW2 will need to be an entirely different game to push GRAW out and try and put GRAW2 in a new light

added: but also what else might be said is, Grin have dug themselves a deep hole. but now they set the bar of standards so high, i have to question if Grin can pull it off?

Edited by Papa6

I think GRAW2 is going to be a COMPLETE new game. of course I'm speculating. but that said, GRAW2 will have to be an entirely new game with more adjustable features, things we need but, GRAW2 will need to be an entirely different game to push GRAW out and try and put GRAW2 in a new light

Developed in under a year? :rofl:

Papa, your industry knowledge never ceases to amaze us common people.

Another interesting question is, what size of a community can a realistic tactical shooter (as I hold GRAW to be) count with these days? Surely more than GRAW got, but I think it unlikely that a good tactical fps can get even a fraction of the size of CoD’s, BF’s, ET’s, CS’s et ali’s community

The strange thing is that majority of people find boring playing in 1 maxdeath servers, 5 and up ones are where the 90% of players are.... <_<:rolleyes:

I like GRAW a lot, and I played [GR] from demo's day one. It's different, best in some aspects, worse in some others. GRIN made a very good work imho. Hope next patch will be a good one.

[GR] was not free at all from bugs and glitches, never solved after years and patches...

The strange thing is that majority of people find boring playing in 1 maxdeath servers, 5 and up ones are where the 90% of players are.... <_<:rolleyes:

I like GRAW a lot, and I played [GR] from demo's day one. It's different, best in some aspects, worse in some others. GRIN made a very good work imho. Hope next patch will be a good one.

[GR] was not free at all from bugs and glitches, never solved after years and patches...

Yes i know most peeps want to have respawns galore, but I and a bunch of others don't like it that way. And when it comes to playing a respawn game, then I wouldn't choose GRAW as it dosen't really got the nice bunny jumps I amused to from e.g. Enemy Territory. <_<

Developed in under a year? :rofl:

Papa, your industry knowledge never ceases to amaze us common people.

Sup why do you quote me when i clearly said "I'm speculating". geez...I'm not even going to allow you to try an dpiss me off.

Funny, I have fun playing when there are 4 on or 32 on a server. I enjoy the game. I would like to see it polished some.. but there are still many games out there that are being played but only have about 100 peeps playng online. Geesh I think people still play Quake. So all I can hope for, until the next GRAW type game (no bunny hopping, alien shooting, star wars guns) comes out, and the number of peeps we have currently stays roughly the same. As long as the likes of CORE, SCE, AFZ, PW, to name a few still play.. you'll find me on a server somewhere.

ok to bring the honesty out here, it was a weekend, last weekend and i was ill. but i logged on to gamespy and there are numerous servers listed. alot of zeros, some [GR] coop's with 4 here and 2 there but few. the only two servers that had REAL heavy action was TAW's and BDA's. but when i consistently, and i do play quite a bit, those two servers are usually full. TAW's isnt always on, but when it's not on, then it's BDA's server that's usually full.

but I see mostly emtpy non used servers. this from a game that's only 6 months old. I find i enjoy GRAW more when I mentally tell myself this isn't Ghost Recon :thumbsup:

But back to the BDA server, whatever they're doing, they do it right, because they always have heavy traffic on their server, sometimes domination and sometimes Team Deathmatch.

To se how many people currently playing GRAW online look here http://www.cert-clan.com/graw.php

@ 21:00 cet yesterday it was 240 people playing.

Edited by ^BR^LARSA

Nice job Larsa, cool little app. Are you graphing these?

It would be neat to see the flucuations.. I would also be interestd in seeing how many Euro's are playing as I am in NA. I have no clue how many people are on during the day here, which coule be early evening elsewhere.

IF you start graphing it or have it available, can you send that link as well.