Ghost Recon.net Forums

Splinter Cell Double Agent Demo out

Well, just finished the demo. It was pretty fun. Still kinda linear but that's OK I guess. I need a better machine to run it though because it lagged at a few spots. The one thing I really miss is being able to sneak around in the dark. It seems that most of the action has been taken outside and it's difficult to tell when the enemies can see you and when they can't.

First game since I have this computer I cant run (missing shader 2.000 and only 128MB GPU). I am already planning my new computer but lets say this is the kick to really start combining my hardware now.

Would love to read, from the ones playing the PC version, what you think of it.........if you wouldnt mind posting some stuff :thumbsup:

The graphics are nice, the opening scene is on ice bergs, and the ice does look like wet, slippery, cold hard ice. The character modeling looked a little "off" initially, but it is actually nicely detailed.

Can't say much about the gameplay, I kept getting shot before I could figure out the zoom key!

Zoom = '1'

Gameplay is mostly just like the other three episodes. Agreed above where it's harder to find good shadows to hide in. Gotta be a little more daring. There's no more sliding illumination scale, but more of a hot/cold thing. Either you're visible or you're not. I'm up to the second visit to JBA HQ right now, and aside from haveing a shaky hand at the mine assembly machine I think I've got this one nailed down for a perfect performance.Had 100% stealth scores on 3 different levels so far, I think.

The thermal vision mode isn't quite as helpful this time around. Working in the water is a bit more satisfying this time around.

KEY POINT!: The mouse is almost useless in menus and interfaces now. Get used to navigating those W-A-S-D now. 'C' is the 'Back' button, and [sPACEBAR] is the select button. I'm personally looking forward to upgrading the hacking software on here. Had one close call so far (0:03). Not cool.

The game is great. The bugs in it are getting on my nerves. But that's getting to be typical Ubisoft PC gaming nowadays. At least they haven't completely crackwhored the story like a certain other Ubisoft-published title we all know...

demo's been fun, well the first part of the demo. everytime I try the play the next phase where your being lifted up the tanker on the raft boat my character gets stuck and the boat continues and I inevitably fall to my demise. Haven't played the MP demo yet, but hopefully they did better then Chaos Theory. They had some great possibilities in MP modes in that game and like usual bungled the whole thing. Anyone tried MP out?

I really liked this game, much more than the first splinter cell. More choices, less linear. I just beat the game yesterday, but there's lots of replayability it seems.

seems opinion is pretty divided on this one.

can't play this on PCI-E 6600 128MB GT SLI, the screen gets a vertical split and a permanent triangular plane from bottom right of monitor, with the apex of the triangle smack at the midpoint of the monitor.

runs "bearable" on a separate pc with AGP 6600 128 GT.

so given this technical glitches I cannot fully appreciate this demo.

<_<

can't play this on PCI-E 6600 128MB GT SLI, the screen gets a vertical split and a permanent triangular plane from bottom right of monitor, with the apex of the triangle smack at the midpoint of the monitor.

runs "bearable" on a separate pc with AGP 6600 128 GT.

so given this technical glitches I cannot fully appreciate this demo.

<_<

Got the latest graphics card drivers? I remember when Doom III came out there were some issues until ATI released some new drivers.

Edited by firefly2442

Interesting ... so am I the only one who thinks this game is garbage? And also am I the only one who had a good number of graphical glitches? :huh:

I loved the previous SCs but this one ended up way below my expectations...

I don't think it's garbage, but I think it's UNFINISHED. Not as bad as GRAW was, by any means. But I think it's a good game that needed more TLC before it was released. As such, it's more an indication that UBISOFT is garbage.

I have found some new bugs/glitches/etc. since last time I wrote, and I'm not finished with the SP campaign yet. Found a spot in the Kinshasa mission where there's a missing texture on a wall. More CTD's that I'm just starting to understand. Issues with the QuickSave and Save files, and accessing them in-game. I shudder to think what MP problems await, though the first patch has already applied a dumptruck load of fixes to MP. I haven't tried it out yet.

Interestingly, I was never prompted for the CD key input during installation of the retail game. As SC has always been primarily an SP game, I have to wonder how wise that is. I doubt that MP will take off with it. Would be nice, but I can't see it. And since it's typically best played in SP, not requiring key validation or registration to play SP seems very backward. I could pass my copy around to several other people, and as long as they never try to play online all would be well. Again, UBISOFT, bad move.

But the game is good. Overall it works with just a little patience, is as rewarding as any other SC game has been, perhaps just a bit more challenging, and was worth the money I paid for it. Assuming the support keeps coming in patches and fixes, it'll be a GREAT game before long.

But it's still the last UbiSoft title I'll ever purchase...

There would be a lot of things I wouldn't like about this game, even if it was comlpetely bug-free. I just don't like this hollywoody style they gave the game (menu backgrounds, cutscenes - I liked the previous SC's serious atmosphere more). The story also doesn't quite fit SC - funny, apart from the first level, there not a single Splinter Cell in the game. And also a good deal of conceptual errors (Lambert in the osprey after the first mission? w t f, he is supposed to control the operation from a bunker of something - and also you partner in the first mission, he's such a noob it's plain impossible the NSA would choose someone like him for this role. So the guy is there to screw up the mission for you, and Lambert is there to confort poor Sam after the mission - welcome to hollywood).

The interface is also rubbish - I don't like these huge buttons, and the new light meter, and those stupid flashing and tinkling interaction icons. And I also didn't like the boring JBA HQ missions, the super-linear level design, etc etc etc. I played this game because I loved the previous ones, but I'll sell it quickly, I'm sure.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, about the MP mode - I didn't have any graphical or stability problems with it - the code is great except for the netcode ... (lol?).

EDIT: Oh, btw, I agree that it's also an indication that Ubisoft is garbage...

Edited by Malleus

Interesting ... so am I the only one who thinks this game is garbage? And also am I the only one who had a good number of graphical glitches? :huh:

Interestingly, I was never prompted for the CD key input during installation of the retail game. As SC has always been primarily an SP game, I have to wonder how wise that is. I doubt that MP will take off with it. Would be nice, but I can't see it. And since it's typically best played in SP, not requiring key validation or registration to play SP seems very backward. I could pass my copy around to several other people, and as long as they never try to play online all would be well. Again, UBISOFT, bad move.

can you pitch all the way to Chicago? :whistle:

• 5 weeks later...

can you pitch all the way to Chicago? :whistle:

I can neither confirm nor deny that allegation... ;)

Also, I got more bugs in this game than the fat lady has rolls...

Half the time the safe-crack interface is buggy in that either I have to hold down either W or S in addition to the A or D to move the dial, or I can't move the dial no matter what crazy combination of keys I use. There's a slight lag in the reaction to the interface for grabbing enemies and such, that if my timing isn't just perfect I can often get caught and shot as the AI's react to me while the computer tries to figure out what I just told it to do an hour ago or something. There are sound glitches galore, as well. Fun.

But I love the game onetheless, even if it IS an indication that UbiShaft has gone south for the long winter...

ALSO, has anyone else noticed that the SAVE/LOAD functions are totally skr00d? They're practically worthless. Quicksaves and deliberate saves are identical to the game. One overwrites the other. You can't name your savegames. You can't load your progress straight out from the main menu, but rather have to load the mission first, then load your last save once in the start of the mission. IT'S CRAP!

Yet I still love the game. What's wrong with me?