FireFox 2 out

Cpl Ledanek

The inline spellcheck feature is fantastic. If it's not enabled by default, just right click on a text field, and it should be obvious where to go from there.

Does that work when making a forum post? Doesn't seem to for me...

Ah it is working now! I had to switch off I.E. tab (a plug in I have to use for some GR.net admin functions to work correctly).

Works really well, just like iespell for IE, but better.

This rocks, my spelling is going to improve so much!

Just downloaded it and I have to say it's pretty sweet. The new spelling feature is great. I still like the previous graphical theme because it seemed lighter and easier on the eyes. One other feature they took out was being able to close multiple open tabs quickly in the upper right corner underneath the search field. Oh well, besides these two quirks, a great release! :)

One other feature they took out was being able to close multiple open tabs quickly in the upper right corner underneath the search field.

They didn't remove that feature, they just set it to be off by default.

To re-enable the 'old' functionality:

In the address box type about:config and press enter

Scroll down to where it says browser.tabs.closeButtons and change the value to one of the following:

* 0 - Close button on open tab only

* 1 - Close buttons on all tabs (default)

* 2 - No close buttons at all (use middle click to close tabs)

* 3 - Close button on the far right (classic)

#3 is the classic layout.

Just gave it a quick download. I like it so far. Start up seems much faster; though, I do look forward to the day when all my plug-ins and extensions get updated to the newest version...

I personally haven't installed it, just for these reasons.

Is there a way I can install this just on my account? (I have my wife and my mother's)

Led, I have about a dozen extensions and skins installed. All but three extensions have not been updated to 2.0 compatible, and they are all minor. It's not as risky as you think, and at worst, you can always roll back to an older build?

One thing I have noticed (Which if I can't fix it will mean removing it).

I have a Fileplanet account and with the previous Firefox if I wanted to download a file I clicked on the link, it then opened a smaller download window and I was given the option to click if the download doesn't start (I don't use the Fileplanet downloader). At this point the Firefox Download dialogue opened and i clicked open or save to get the file.

With Firefox 2 I get to the stage of clicking the option if the download does not start but the Firefox Download dialogue does not open so i cant save or open the file.

Any ideas?

I still have a few extensions/plug-ins not working with 2.0. But I love it thus far. All the the major ones have been updated (Gmail notifier, Sage, Greasemonkey, FoxyTunes, etc.). Only the minor ones are yet be updated. Don't let that hold you back Cpt.Led...

I discovered a fantastic trick for getting the spell checker to work in virtually all text fields, not just input boxes.

As usual, open about.config in a new tab/window, and locate layout.spellcheckDefault. Change it's value to 2 to turn on Firefox 2's spell-checking in input fields as well as text areas.