Ubisoft announce officially the incoming Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon

Hey deuce, how long have you been into the Gr series?

I've played GR since the beginning. Joined GR.NET a mere 5 months after you did. Played for a few different squads in that time. I was the CO of a squad of fellow GR series gamers while in college. We played TDM on a few different ladders but never did real well. College guys are hard to pin down for match times!

Why you ask?

I asked because I think alot of folks, (Thinking you weren't an old school GR fan) want old GR features are necessary for the success for GRAW. that's all.

Edited by Papa6

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey deuce, how long have you been into the Gr series?

I've played GR since the beginning. Joined GR.NET a mere 5 months after you did. Played for a few different squads in that time. I was the CO of a squad of fellow GR series gamers while in college. We played TDM on a few different ladders but never did real well. College guys are hard to pin down for match times!

Why you ask?

I asked because I think alot of folks, (Thinking you weren't an old school GR fan) want old GR features are necessary for the success for GRAW. that's all.

I would be the first to say that GRAW isn't exactly like GR 1 and that some elements found in GR that are missing in GRAW would have made the game a great deal better. BUT, I still find GRAW to be the game that brings me back to it nearly every night. I am an old school GR fan...still have it installed and run through some of the new mods that have been released, but I find GRAW to be an acceptable, fun new GR.

man, someone is making graw2? SWEET! cant wait to play that!:D

(no this is not grins official comment, I cant comment on anything of course, but maybe this counts as commenting anyway, anyways, im not telling you lot anything! not a word! did I just say too much? man...)

seriously.no comment.really. im really not very helpfull today, am I? :(:grin2:

Interesting post--very interesting... :seehearspeak::pokerface::grin1:

Anyone remember the article (aftonbladet) from Sweden that was posted here by some Swede?

You missed that GRIN is working on an established game for X360 & PS3 due 2008 with a Japanese publisher. Also a PSP title is coming 2007. Port for PC ala R6 Vegas with console players coming first, the "future".

How can GRIN possibly handle GRAW2 at the same time? :mellow:

By doubling their staff? :ph34r:

That's the normal way to handle it, and not at all unexpected after a company like Ubisoft hands you a franchise like Ghost Recon.

Oh, ROCOAFZ: Wolfsong owes you an apology, I think. He made the absurd mistake of valuing his professional experience over your 15 minutes and google. :rofl:

Hockeystick: Third person and streamlined controls make a game impossible to play on the computer? Am I right to assume, then, every good computer game needs to be a fps with 400+ useless but uncomfortably necessary keystrokes to memorize for basic gameplay?

Apology excepted... btw i'm a professional also ;)

Hockeystick: Third person and streamlined controls make a game impossible to play on the computer? Am I right to assume, then, every good computer game needs to be a fps with 400+ useless but uncomfortably necessary keystrokes to memorize for basic gameplay?

I didn't say it was impossible, the X360 is simply not PCich, if you get what I mean ;)

A tactical shooter like GR should be 1st person as it's meant to be. Yes, you can play in 1st person on the X360 but with no weapon view. They have to dumb down the AI since you are not as accurate with gamepad as you are with maouse + keyboard.

My point is that a ported version of the X360 would not go well on the PC. And I'm sure R6 Vegas won't go to well on the PC either since it's 3rd person and it's designed for the console.

Now lets drop this PC vs Cosnsoles, ok? :)

[Oh, ROCOAFZ: Wolfsong owes you an apology, I think. He made the absurd mistake of valuing his professional experience over your 15 minutes and google. :rofl:

Erh... But I'm still right. ;)

It's just flaws in the consoles that they don't use all of the SDTV resolution. They stick to standard PC resolutions, which you also have to if you try to use a SDTV for a PC monitor. In that case the max you can use is 640x480, sure. But the actual SDTV in, PAL and NTSC, can handle the resolution I've stated, which are also 4:3 for both square pixel resolution and the non-sqaure pixel one.

[Oh, ROCOAFZ: Wolfsong owes you an apology, I think. He made the absurd mistake of valuing his professional experience over your 15 minutes and google. :rofl:

Erh... But I'm still right. ;)

It's just flaws in the consoles that they don't use all of the SDTV resolution. They stick to standard PC resolutions, which you also have to if you try to use a SDTV for a PC monitor. In that case the max you can use is 640x480, sure. But the actual SDTV in, PAL and NTSC, can handle the resolution I've stated, which are also 4:3 for both square pixel resolution and the non-sqaure pixel one.

I'll back you up on that one.

Industry standard video rendering in Adobe Premiere for NTSC is 720x480. Same thing applies in 3ds max. I'll take their word over ROCOAFZ's 15 minutes with google anyday. ;)

How's it going Wolfsong?

Intresting they are calling it GRAW 2, I'd guess this is really just GR 3.5. Whoever the developers turn out to be will determine wheter I purchase it on PC, or not. Judging by the past trends the expansions are based on the current tech so I'd guess RSE - 360, GRIN - PC. We'll see what happens, but this may be the first GR offering I'll skip (on PC) and just wait for 4.

dark forces

dark forces 2: Jedi knight

Jedi Knight 2

Ghost recon

ghost recon:advanced warfighter

ghost recon:advanced warfighter 2

see a pattern here?:)

Took them years to get GRAW together and they're going to have v. 2 out by March? Can you say same engine? That or the PC market is getting shafted yet again...

or maybe it didnt take "years", it actually took more like "a year".if it had taken "years" then I can guarantee you , you would have gotten Hambuger hill out of the box ;)

If GRIN is developing the next installment of GR and GR:AW 2 is going to be AW 2 then I for one am not buying it, I think you guys did a pyss-poor job GR:AW. To name a few mistakes: the bad calls on the lighting methods (HDR is solely for SHORT RANGE effects), the decision to not expand the dev team even though you guys must've known from the start when the deadline was (which you would've never made), the alpha-0 dedi software... how the hell did you guys get away with releasing software that runs at a 100% CPU time all the time. Just to name but a few reasons.

Anyway, not to start another crap-storm on the subject of "random functions", I ain't buying AW2 no way ever and I ain't buying GR:AW2 if GRIN develops it.

And btw, it does take you YEARS development started over two years ago and it's still no-where near finished

Edited by CkZWarlord

How's it going Wolfsong?

Funny thing. I was thinking of you and Neutron this week. You see my girlfriend is a meteorology student in her last year and they have to do a master thesis spanning 20 weeks. And... here it comes, she's gonna do it at Svalbard. It hit me like "I've herd that name before... but where?" After about an hour I figured it out, Svalbard is a group of islands and the largest is called Spitsbergen. ;) Big Frostbite flashback. Had to start it up and look at the intro right away. :P

Other then that, things are rolling along. Currently doing an internship period that lasts for the rest of the year. Then it's back for the final semester at the 3D education. And then, who knows. Will be a bit lonely next semester with my girlfriend at Svalbard, so I guess I'll go there for a visit if I have the cash for it. DLA had a big year with the completion of the BioWare contract followed by the release of Wyvern Crown of Cormyr as an official premium module. Looks like they're moving on to NWN2, but I don't have the time for it right now so I'm a passive member for a while.

Hope everything is well on your side. Been a while since we talked last.

How's it going Wolfsong?

Funny thing. I was thinking of you and Neutron this week. You see my girlfriend is a meteorology student in her last year and they have to do a master thesis spanning 20 weeks. And... here it comes, she's gonna do it at Svalbard. It hit me like "I've herd that name before... but where?" After about an hour I figured it out, Svalbard is a group of islands and the largest is called Spitsbergen. ;) Big Frostbite flashback. Had to start it up and look at the intro right away. :P

Other then that, things are rolling along. Currently doing an internship period that lasts for the rest of the year. Then it's back for the final semester at the 3D education. And then, who knows. Will be a bit lonely next semester with my girlfriend at Svalbard, so I guess I'll go there for a visit if I have the cash for it. DLA had a big year with the completion of the BioWare contract followed by the release of Wyvern Crown of Cormyr as an official premium module. Looks like they're moving on to NWN2, but I don't have the time for it right now so I'm a passive member for a while.

Hope everything is well on your side. Been a while since we talked last.

From what I've heard Svalbard doesn't look anything like what we presented in Frostbite. :P Other than that, things are going pretty well for me on my end. I started on a mod for Civ IV set in feudal Japan but then got slammed with 12 hour shifts at work and haven't been able to get back into it yet.

If GRIN is developing the next installment of GR and GR:AW 2 is going to be AW 2 then I for one am not buying it, I think you guys did a pyss-poor job GR:AW. To name a few mistakes: the bad calls on the lighting methods (HDR is solely for SHORT RANGE effects)

Wow Wille, you just got TOLD. :o

Clearly CKZ warlord knows loads more than your entire team about game art, huh? You guys better fly him in for an interview; he'd be a perfect replacement for Bo (who, after using that weird, unpopular 'hdr' thing, really ought to get kicked out) :rofl:

If GRIN is developing the next installment of GR and GR:AW 2 is going to be AW 2 then I for one am not buying it, I think you guys did a pyss-poor job GR:AW. To name a few mistakes: the bad calls on the lighting methods (HDR is solely for SHORT RANGE effects), the decision to not expand the dev team even though you guys must've known from the start when the deadline was (which you would've never made), the alpha-0 dedi software... how the hell did you guys get away with releasing software that runs at a 100% CPU time all the time. Just to name but a few reasons.

Anyway, not to start another crap-storm on the subject of "random functions", I ain't buying AW2 no way ever and I ain't buying GR:AW2 if GRIN develops it.

And btw, it does take you YEARS development started over two years ago and it's still no-where near finished

First off, get your facts straight. It's not the damn HDR lighting that everyone thinks doesn't allow you to use AA or the likes. It's the deferred lighting, which if you look it up, has a LOT of potential. GRAW is just beyond it's time when it comes to technology. HDR lighting is in a LOT of games these days (Oblivion, Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Rainbow Six Lockdown, and a lot more).

Second, how do you know when development started? I'd take Wille's word that they had 14 months to do the game over your 2+ years guess.

I'm tired of these self-proclaimed experts that think they know everything about everything just because they heard it from another self-proclaimed expert.

GRAW is just beyond it's time when it comes to technology.

No - its more than that. Its just no fun to play.

Who cares? He was talking about HDR, not gameplay. If we want to nitpick useless things I can find my old post where I pointed out how awful one of the tiling grass textures was, but, really, all of this is irrelevant. GRAW's HDR is fine.

No - its more than that. Its just no fun to play. Thats why it has failed.

True! Advanced technology doesn't assure anything when it comes to gameplay and that's what really matters. :smart:

No - its more than that. Its just no fun to play. Thats why it has failed.

True! Advanced technology doesn't assure anything when it comes to gameplay and that's what really matters. :smart:

My point exactly my learned friend :smart:

Edited by OliverReed

If you wantto get techincal... 360 games are designed on the PC and then ported over to the 360. The reason there was such a difference in the games is because we all asked for there to be one. Funny thing is this... I finialy got around to playing the full PC version of GRAW and the 360 version is just a better game. Not specificly because of any of the changes, but because of the machine itself. It runs smoothly, and it looks great on a HDTV. Which is nice for me sitting in my living room in front of a 41' HDTV playing at 1080i instead of sitting in a chair a foot away from a pc monitor.

I am actually just NOW finialy starting to get used to the controler in multiplayer and I really am ok with i. Would it be easier on a KB/M like the old days, of course... But I think at some point I will get good enough with the controler where the difference won't be HUGE anymore.

There is a misconception that 360 gamers are all run and gun... It just isn't the case. I thought it was too honestly, for a long time. I actually refused to play GRAW in multiplayer for a long time because of it. People are for the most part pretty cool, and there are a good amount of tactical players in xbox live on the 360.

To touch on Vegas for a moment... I have the demo on my 360 and its great. The peek thing as a replacment to lean is actually kind of nice. Its different of course, but it works in the game just fine. You can actually peek around AND over objects which is nice since you could never do that in any of the older titles.

Also, peeking and using a rope and/or ladder are pretty much the only times you enter 3rd person. The game itself is all in first person style. I absolutley hated lockdown, but Vegas seems like it is going to be a good game, on the 360 at least. I am skeptical of PC releases at this point because they just don't sell enough coppies to warrant a ton of money to be thrown at them.

The only thing I miss from the R6 series that even other PC gamers don't seem to miss are the super large maps. I always liked that... The Korean Urban Ops maps were 2 of my favorite maps for any game, and everyone for the most part felt they were too large. Not me! I hated the CQC type maps that Covert ops introduced to the series.

Anyways... The point of all of this is that I think some of you may be unaware that the game you want is in fact on the xbox 360. Hell, there was even an expansion for the 360GRAW, did the PC even get that? I have been a red storm gamer from the beginning. I got R6 not long after it was released on the PC, and got the Eagle watch expansion the day it came out. As I did with every other Tom clancey PC title up to Lockdown.. Which I Hated the demo of so I didnt see a point. It just really seems to me like these games are just better on the consoles now. I was resistant to the change as well, but I have seen the light. :)

Edited by kingotnw

Only way to make big PC sales is not to appeal to a niche market. Kids don't want tactical they want run 'n gun which this franchaise isn't about.

All these statements about kids not wanting tactical games is nonsense really, remember many of us actually started as kids, in fact I started playing tactical games when i was about 16 year old (I'm 22 today). We can't put people in boxes like that, because it is basically not true. I'm in a SWAT4 and Raven Shield co-op clan called SAS Elite Virtual Regiment, we also get a lot of applications from kids who are from the age 13 and up (unfortunately we only recruit people from the age 16, due the maturity). People are simply different, some like to use there brain and some don't when playing videogames, thats all.

BTW I hope the PC community will not get a GRAW 2 but a Ghost Recon 2 ! :D

... but we all know it won't happen :wall:

Edited by REC0N

All these statements about kids not wanting tactical games is nonsense really, remember many of us actually started as kids

Agreed. The implication that 'tactical' games are any better than other games is also absurd. It's simply personal preference.

Also, peeking and using a rope and/or ladder are pretty much the only times you enter 3rd person.

I'm sure Vegas will be great on X360 but it's designed for the X360 so I don't think it will be so great on the PC. It's two different crowds. One main topic about Vegas PC is the 3rd person peeking. That you can see everything around you even tho you are standing against a wall is not what most PC players want. It's to unrealistic. But unfortunately, the Tom Clancy games are getting and more unrealistic. What happend to the OF/GR gamestyle where you really had to think twice and always be on your guard?

In GRAW you do have to be on your guard so I do think GRIN did a good job with it. However, they missed one major part, punishment when injured. Overall tho it's a good game and I'm willing to give GRIN another chance with GRAW 2 :)

All these statements about kids not wanting tactical games is nonsense really, remember many of us actually started as kids

Agreed. The implication that 'tactical' games are any better than other games is also absurd. It's simply personal preference.

Tis true. I remember on my 1st PC back when i was around 14/15/16 (cant remember lol), i played Rainbow Six the original, and i absolutely couldnt get enough of the tactical gameplay. I loved picking a team, giving them each there own weapons then setting up waypoints etc to complete each mission. Also, being taken out in like 1 or 2 shots also was a breathe of fresh air to me, it felt tough and each mission a genuine acheivement if you did it well (Wouldnt mind some of these features brung back tbh such as squad management etc but o well).