First weapon model

swartsz

Well this only took me a few minutes in ps, its not perfect it could do with the white highlight being dulled a little more. All I did was basically black sqaure, then painted 1px lines through it, then copied the lines, rotated them to get the diamond effect, right clicked on the layer, Blending Properties added emboss played with the lighting and that was it.

If you were really clever Swartz, you just make yourself a 25x25 canvas and make your own brush of the pattern then you could paint up and down the right colour of your texporter export texture easier.

grip.jpg

If you were really clever Swartz, you just make yourself a 25x25 canvas and make your own brush of the pattern then you could paint up and down the right colour of your texporter export texture easier.

are you questioning my sanity now?

i have tried that method and i didn't like the result.

lol fine do what I did then, I basically drew the lines by hand, like 50 straight lines, then copied them, the roated each set to get the diamond shape on a black background. What do you think looks ok for 5 minutes work i thought.

OOOOR

u could just make a small 10x10 canvas and make a diamond shape make it a pattern, then fill the handle area on the texporter exported canvas then add lightting effects to it. done.

Edited by _OtAcoN_

i gave it a quick try,

grip2.jpg

i have to say, at the moment it look more like a fence then a grip but there may be something useful in this technique. The hardest part i think is to make all those little diamonds stand out. it is flat right now.

for example, take a look at this page, at the bottom there is an example of his 1911 skin with that kind of grip, it really has a 3d look to it.

Edited by swartsz

Use the lighting effects on the lines. Like I said right click on the layer blend effects, bevel and emboss sure you know how.

Even better would be to use the lighting effects on the black layer, not the lines, but to do that you need to delete the shape of the lines on the black layer to get a good effect other wise there would be no edges. And IMHO you need more diamond like shapes over that whole area.

Can always cheat abit and let max render out that diamond pattern. :devil:

Here's a quick test with a diamond pattern and a few lights, the resulting render has later been used in photoshop as an overlay layer ontop of a plain brownish colour.

griptest.jpg

Snow

Oh...btw...rest of that .45 looks amazing mate!!! :notworthy:

Using Chems teknic :thumbsup:

http://img15.exs.cx/img15/4531/quicklytut3un.jpg

Using basic lines to build the shapes...

Photoshop tools:EMBOSS/MASK LAYER/FINGER/BURN TOOLS + Painting skills

final step try to find LIGHT and COLOR settings

http://img15.exs.cx/img15/4945/burnmode5os.jpg

to add more lights(DOOM MODE ) :devil:

this mini mini mini tut was made in low rez (sorry if it s dirty)

wow, this is certainly a nice surprise coming home after a bad day at work.

All the grips look amazing and i feel very humble by your support right now, thank you all so much!

now i will try to recreate a grip similar to yours to put on the model.... :D

You never cease to amaze me, Swartsz. Your work makes me want to reinstall GR and get busy.

thank you Para, that is a big compliment.

I believe that SWARTSZ opened a contest of "Grip Texturing"

i guess so, maybe the time is right for another weapons modeling/texturing contest.

again, thank you all for the help!!!!!

Yeah the Colt looks amazing Swartz. Really good job. Fancy posting a pic of the model flattened for use with texporter?

i didn't flatten the model itself, just selected all the faces and edited them in the Edit UWV window

but here is a little example of the map itself:

uwv1911.jpg

there is a lot of wasted place, but i will try to avoid that on the next model.

something different for today, i have been working on the low-poly model of the 1911 today and managed to get the polycount down to 1166.

still have to smooth the flashlight but you get the picture.... :D

lw1911.jpg

i am also going to try to copy the texture of the other 1911 model to this one, will show you some progress shots of it soon. if it works of course... :D