First weapon model

swartsz

thats how i make plastic, looks good ....

add some highlights to it will make the geomtry stick out more.

also one of the nice little things in texture to make it look more realistic is oil or greese.

when u toucha gun without gloves lot of little finger prints can show up and smears and such .....

kind of a real small thing that not to many notice. but u can see a little of it in this pic

IMG

So when are we going to see some Swartz's special G36's?

maybe sooner than later, i am currently working on some other models but i do have a unfinished G36 model sitting on my HD. so maybe when i am done with those other models i will give another look.

@Texan & Prozac, thanks for the help. i have a lot of tuts right now to help me skin the ump models. i will just have to see which one will look the best on the model. Will show you the results when they are worth looking at. :D

time for a little update with some good and bad news!

first the good news, i found a good UWV mapping technique and i am getting better at it each time i give it a try. the picture below shows my progress.

now for the bad news: while unwrapping the body of the UMP model i found a couple of errors in the model i need to correct before i can really skin it to prefection.

I was hoping to show my first piece of the skin this week but as it looks now it will take me a bit longer before i can show everyone a textured model.

texump.jpg

Looking good m8! Wanna share that UVW technique as i suck at it?

sure, it comes as a very nice video-tutorial by Bullethead who is a CS skinner/modder. the only thing that bothers me about this video is his terrible cold, so dont mind the ugly noises you hear sometimes.

here is the link: http://www.bullet-head.net/vtms/uvmapping%20tut.rar

another little update: fixed those errors i found, errors who turned out to be a good thing in the end, polycount has lowered again! :D

Im not sure I rate the UnWrap technique that much. I do something similar and can do the type with texporter but I like the standard manual method.

everybody chooses the technique they like the most and after studying loads of techniques i decided that this one will be the best for me.

another little update:

i got 99% of the errors fixed, i will need to have another close look at the whole model to see if i haven't overlooked any other errors. most of them were easy to fix with a little Target Weld and stuff but a few of them were a little bit harder to fix.

Also to save some more polies on the models i have decided to change back to my old grip i made and i have changed some little things on the models, like resizing the ejection port which was a little bit too small.

here is a model with the new grip:

upm.jpg

Now it is time to take one close look at the models and then it is back to UWV mapping these babies... :)

:blink: sweet! nice one swartz. especially on the pollycount, it is in editable mesh right? >_<

yep, i counted the triangles ( but i kept it as a editable poly so i can easily change some things if i see something wrong ), base model of the UMP now stands at 2431

Another weapon mod from you would be real nice swartsz. :)

i will have to see how things go..but i have some ideas for a little mod for GR while we wait for the release of Ghost Recon 2 and its SDK.

thinking of making a mod for GR, release it and work on it so i can also release it for GR2 with more goodies.

will keep you updated!

Edited by swartsz

and then the G36's?

the GR mod will only be a little side-project, i will also be concentrating on other projects/models aswell, and if they turn out to have a polycount that is acceptable for Ghost Recon i might add them to the line-up for the mod.

will post more details about the mod later this week, hopefully together with a new model... :D

Edited by swartsz