red orchestra

1madcow

I was thinking of getting this title. Its pretty in-expensive But I was waondering.

1, Do you always have to have an active internet connection to play.

2, Is there single player with bots availbe with out a connection.

3, Anyone like it?

#1 Its a Steam powered game and you have to be connected to Steam to play . So yes an Internet connection is required

#2 There is what is called a "Practise" mode which is single player against bots BUT it does require that you be connected to steam to play

#3 I have found RO to be an excelent game ,The most realistic shooter I have found to date (In my Opinion) BUT perhaps not for everyone ....its an Iron sights only no Rets and bullets don't travel on a laser straght trajectory type of game so it takes some practise and patients to become a good player. The Game is very well supported by the Devs with new content released once a month since the game was released. Seems to have a strong modding comunity with 30 plus new modder created maps released in the last couple of months. Steam has proven to be a good set up with all game updates automaticaly downloaded and installed in Red Orchestra .

As for the rest of the game details its probably best to wander over to the Red Orchestra web site and have a look http://www.redorchestragame.com/

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Soooooooo...Its only an online game..And when I first install it I mostlikely have 60000000 million MB of upoloads and patches to even get in a game. And there is no way to practice offline...WOW.. That aint gonna work for my dialup connection.. :wall::wall: It does seem like a pretty decent game..Thats to bad for me. :(:(

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Soooooooo...Its only an online game..And when I first install it I mostlikely have 60000000 million MB of upoloads and patches to even get in a game. And there is no way to practice offline...WOW.. That aint gonna work for my dialup connection.. :wall::wall: It does seem like a pretty decent game..Thats to bad for me. :(:(

Yeah dial -up would be a serious handicap Iam afraid

• 2 weeks later...

I dont comment or review very much. However this time Its different. I have been looking at this title Red Orchestra for over a month now. From the begining it caught my eyes. I usually come here for feeback and look at a few other sites for reviews. Well It has been reviewd fairly well. And its seemed to have a fairly large and supportive community. It was mentioned that its a multiplayer game. I have dialup so I restrained from buying it. Well I broke down and bought it on Thursday. I had to download about 348 MB of updates,Which on dialup can take an eternity. A nice feature about Steam is that it alows you to pause and resume updates. SO finally on Saterday I was updated and ready to go. I first tried the offline practice mode to get familyer with the maps. Every single map is stunning. They are just the right size and the detail is wonderful. The city maps are about the best I ever played. Your choices of player range from machine gunner,to tank comander. Tank fights are a blast . The AI for the bots intelegence can be adjusted, which is a nice feature. I set up an off line lan game to see if you can play it that way. Well you can. and you can have as many bots as you like to join. On Sunday I figure why not try the multiplayer. I connected with ease and found many many servers. I just picked one and figured I would be lagging because of my dial up connection. Well to my suprise it ran fairly well. The controls are fairly simple to understand. the gameplay was phenomanal. This is truly a TAC game. There is not to much spray and pray. You just dont get effective results. And teamwork is essential. also there are no rets and no zoom other than the sniper rifle. And you have to take into consideration distance because of bullet fall. (not sure of the right name for it). The details are a constant state of awe. Missed bullets whizz by you hitting concrete and the ground. Machine gun tracers hitting sand bags and ricocheting off slowly. Its just to much here to describe.

I have played all the major Pc releases over the past 5 years . And most of the time its a huge letdown or the joy quickly leaves. I do enjoy Bf2 , But it is what it is. I still play [GR] and nothing has compared to it. However this tittle is a diferant. Its not a comparison to [GR]. But its made with the same quality and support. Lots of Mods are being made at this current time.

If your looking for a a great Tactical game. Are ok with the WW2 theme, and like realism. Look no further. Check this game out. You will be quite suprised. and slowly addicted. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cool another RO Fan! There have been quite a few RO threads that have rolled to the back of this forum; and it's always nice to see some new discussion... Someone, though I can't remember who was asking a while back if the game was playable on dial-up; I said that it probably would be but had no way of knowing for certain as I had no first hand experience... So I'm sure any comments you can add here MadCow will be appreciated by Tactical Realism Fans dealing wtih lower bandwidth, higher latency connections.

Personally I'd be interested to learn if you go for and get better results with the higher fire-volume weapons like the machine guns, and sub-machine guns -- or if you get better results with the semi-autos and bolt rifles? You're quite right though; and even though some might assume that RO's respawn/reinforcement based play would be arcady it's quite realistic and requires surprisingly sophisticated maneuver tactics and quite a bit of attention to game marksmanship. With that in mind it's not hard to see how someone that's not out to spam, spray and kill forty men in under five minutes can get a lot out of RO on a dial-up connection.

There are some connection quality net-code settings you can tweak to get better high-latency performance out of RO that you might want to pursue on the RO forums -- Ramm or one of the Dev team will usually give a solid technical answer... Would love to hear more of your dial-up experience!

Cheers!

I have been playing since the retail release and haven't lost any interast ...part of the reason for that is the steady release of new content and the mods ...a very strong and well supported mod comunity is a big factor . Good anti cheat and functional Dedicated server soft ware help as well . Glad to see more RO people appearing here !!!!!!!.

Edited by MVTalon

.. Would love to hear more of your dial-up experience!

Well My experiance isnt all that bad. I have had a ping of up too 900 before.. But I think I get it around 150-225-..Yaa I no thats not all that good. But I played [GR] for many years on dialup. You seem to learn from your handicap. It was funny because I had Dsl at one time for a short while. And When I went to play [GR] on it I ruled!!!...I was actually acused of cheating. :lol::lol: Surely that never happend again once I had to go back to dialup..Anyway. As far As Red Orchestra goes. I usually stick to the semi auto firearms.I have had good experiances being a machinegunner also. I look for the lowest ping servers and try to figure out which ones are US ones. There are always tons of servers Runing. I also look for mostly Infantry maps being played. The only painful time was when I first got the game and had to all the updates. It took about a day. But As I mentioned before Steam alowed me to pause and resume updates. Once all was updated I had no problems joining games and using the offline practice mode. it is by far the best game I have played since [GR]. Its been really hard for me to find any tittle that comes close to [GR]..IMO..I just downloaded about 20 custon maps, and there seems to be many more Mods to come..Its definatly worthwhile to check out.ANd dont be to scared if you have dialup. ;);)