Crashing to desktop on second round

RavenousNC

i have it with my map too.... :(

you can spawn in the second round but after a few sec it crashes , no graw log, just windows saying sorry....

there must be some simple thing to explain this ?

i was thinking of a memory problem ? that it accumilates and does not refresh in round two ?(so the banks get flooded ??)

CTD on second round seams like standard on at custom [GR] map, very frustrating. My map didn't CTD in the begining half of production. But I can't say exactly when it started, and now even a small test map CTD on 2nd. I wonder if it has someting to do with GRAW not reseting certain variables when restarting a map. For an example on the second round a Composition won't run, I know that for sure becasue I uses one in my up coming map and when I tested it out on a small map it run perfectly the first time (trigger by destruction of a vehicle), but on the second round - nothing. So there is reset issues.

Now we have to find which function that need to be reseted. On what game modes does it crash? I only tried [GR]'s in recon mode. Does this happens in [GR] firefight mode and on TDM maps etc?

Edited by Johnny Hazard

Ok ... lets re-cap whats been said about this CTD's earlier. Some thought it had to do with maps with the same internal name. But that might not be the issue, beacuse it CTD's with only one map in the custom_levels dir.

Then it doesn't matter if it's a [GR] or a TDM map - crashes occurs anyway. Now what is the thing the crashing maps have in common? Could it be the mission cube or the skybox? :hmm:

I'm using <cube value="atlas_mission_specific/mission05_specific/cube"/> on my map.

Ducky uses that too on Black Hawk Down.

Yeah, I know! It sound like I'm grasping for a straw, but we do have so little data about this so we have to check every aspect of it. We have to find the common thing here.

I'm using <cube value="atlas_mission_specific/mission05_specific/cube"/> on my map.

Ducky uses that too on Black Hawk Down.

I use <cube value="atlas_mission_specific/mission08_specific/cube"/>, so I don't think it is a sky thing either.

I agree with sui317 that this has something to do with how the maps are reset. You automatically know there is some sort of problem when elements from a former round are present in a new round.

Rav :zorro:

How about someone try this:

1) Play about 1/2 way through a map, then do a /restart_round and see if it crashes (No Way Out crashes on a /restart_round).

2) Again play the same map about 1/2 way through & do a /change_map #X (where "X" is the appropriate number for this map) and see if it crashes.

I think /restart_round just restarts the map, while /change_map #X will RELOAD the same map.

It was either me or my brother who said this issue. It crashes every 2nd round, but mostly only when you have like 1-2 people in the server then switch sides (for example i switch to the other team to play w/ my bro on his side so he can show me the map) but often times we just spawned and the map crashed.

• 1 month later...

I've started on a new map and I will have a restart test along every other thing to test while building it. Then I might find what is causing it to CTD.

And yes it will be a tight, semi-dark map with random patrols and stuff and a bad ass choke point but not as bad as the Ghetto military base. Or maby not ... ! ;)

Edited by Johnny Hazard

Crash to Desktop (CTD) on second round with custom maps is a very old fault

pre 1.30, so you want to stop it ?

Start a server (dedicated) and join it from another machine and get your friend to

join to (from a diffrent machine on a LAN or internet.... Hey Presto no more CTD

on second round.

The bug came around 1.24 and has been with us mappers ever since...I spent over

2 days on a map trying to isolate the prop or static and you know what ? there wasn't one.

It was me launching the game on my PC and having it set to 1 player in multiplayer mode

that is the problem !!!

But fishy thing is, it's on the change over to the second round on custom maps ...thx GRIN

Thats another reason I gave up...... and wait for CRYSIS, a game worth it's weight in GOLD.

Baar Humbug

viii

pm Flimflam or Tom Anger, I'm sure they had their fair share too... ;)

Crash to Desktop (CTD) on second round with custom maps is a very old fault

pre 1.30, so you want to stop it ?

Start a server (dedicated) and join it from another machine and get your friend to

join to (from a diffrent machine on a LAN or internet.... Hey Presto no more CTD

on second round.

So... let me get this right. :hmm:

This crash on second round only happens when we modders are testing with only one person (ourselves) but once the mission is hosted on a server with 'x' Players, then no CTD on second round. Is that right? If so, I can live with that.

Should have two [GR] Coop missions finished late today or tomorrow (if I 'xml' myself into a blithering idiot today!)

What has not been mentioned is any error messages.

In my case, I do not get a CTD, but I do get a VisualStudio error.

(Visual Studio is part of MS NET Frameworks I believe)

The messages states that " no Just-In-Time Debugger is running",

but, when I bring up Frameworks/tools/options/JustInTime Debugging, the 'managed' check box is checked.

"The plot thickens!"

:hmm:

Well as I don't have access to a dedicated server yet, I only have tried this on "hosted" games and it do crash with 1 or more players no matter what. Something do it, and I can't find what. As for the map I'm slowly working on now, no CTD's yet. But I guess it's just a matter of time until I get my fair share. :unsure: