Bundled spyware in BF2142

Rocky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read some of the replies, what the hell is wrong with gaming companies these days? they develop absolute crap, and do some of the stupidest stuff to games.

Are PC games dying? I really, Really REALLY think so. These game companies are some of the biggest buttheads of any group I know.

Ubisoft could care less. they ruin some of the hottest software franchises

EA seems to be the same. funny thing is EA owns part of UBISOFT...go figure. <_<

I think and feel gaming is going the way of the almighty dollar. If i want to see ads, I'll drive down the freeway and see ads or read a magazine.

I just posted this to EA moments ago;

Are you guys nuts? look how many people you have ###### off with this in game ad ###### of yours with putting PC spyware into Battlefield 2142. http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=13050117 when you mole your way into peoples PC's to monitor their habits, you will get caught like you have. I plan to boycott ALL EA games because of your companies deceitful practises. I can find better developers who aren't so damn arrogant.

Edited by Papa6

:blink:

I have the game. Do i simply:

In order to prevent this 'functionality', the server can be prevented from being contacted by placing the following lines in either /etc/hosts on UNIX, or %WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on Windows.

127.0.0.1 madserver.net

127.0.0.1 ad.madserver.net

127.0.0.1 imp.madserver.net

127.0.0.1 media.madserver.net

Tinker

:unsure:

:blink:

I have the game. Do i simply:

In order to prevent this 'functionality', the server can be prevented from being contacted by placing the following lines in either /etc/hosts on UNIX, or %WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on Windows.

127.0.0.1 madserver.net

127.0.0.1 ad.madserver.net

127.0.0.1 imp.madserver.net

127.0.0.1 media.madserver.net

Tinker

:unsure:

That technique would stop it from working, but it won't stop it from trying i.e. taking up processing cycles, minute as they may be.

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread...44#post10641844

Read post #28

IDK if he's a smurf or not, but headsup

I'm a bit on the fence about it really.

IF it does not impact of frames AT ALL

IF it does not search my HD AT ALL (ie browser history etc)

.... then I guess it's not as big a deal as some are making out.

Rocky, that's where I stand on the whole deal.

As long as it's not effecting/searching anything on my computer, I'm not bothered.

Granted, I do agree that:

1) Paying full price (re: $50) for a game that has said ads to make the (maker/distro) money, then it should be a huge new exciting game.

2) All 2142 is, really, is a heavy total conversion of what we already have (re: uses a slightly modded BF2 engine)

3) If EA wasn't such ###### in the first place (re: I've had issues with them before)

2) All 2142 is, really, is a heavy total conversion of what we already have (re: uses a slightly modded BF2 engine)

That's why I won't be buying it. Played the beta and it was just too similar to BF2 to be of interest, especially as personally I haven't had my moneys worth out of BF2 yet.. :blush:

Just by my interpretation of what is going on, it's like hallife2's steam gotta have it on to play.

so with BF2142, you have to have the ad feature on to play it apparently. but when you OPEN the software package, THEN...you get the slip of paper saying, oh by the way, we're putting this crap on your PC. too bad really mateys' you bought the game, you can't resell it lol you dumb blokes! ;)

so are you going to;

A. install our game and accept our corporate crap ads, which we know you won't want, but it serves OUR purposes of corporate ads, sponsorship and financing.

or

B. having forked over $50US for a game and set it on your shelf to collect dust? either way, we got your money. :ph34r:

are game companies hiring scammers to figure out new and intrusive ways to install their corporate crap on our Pc's? from what I'm seeing...yes!

Lockdown had ads in it as well, whether by this kind of unscrupulous business practice, I don't know. I do know this issue has garnered alot of negative publicity. whether innocuous or not, Corporations are showing a great deal of arrogance by seeing how far they can go to push their crap on us.

Lockdown had ads in it as well, whether by this kind of unscrupulous business practice, I don't know. I do know this issue has garnered alot of negative publicity. whether innocuous or not, Corporations are showing a great deal of arrogance by seeing how far they can go to push their crap on us.

Are you talking about the ads in the levels/achitecture?

Billboards and various other ads don't bother me - provided they fit the atmosphere of the game/level.

Hell, they might have even done that in 2142.

But I'm really worried about the spyware being more malisious than productive (spelling?)

Are you talking about the ads in the levels/achitecture?

Billboards and various other ads don't bother me - provided they fit the atmosphere of the game/level.

Hell, they might have even done that in 2142.

But I'm really worried about the spyware being more malisious than productive (spelling?)

that ads in BF2142 look like the ones in lockdown. apparently they want to randomly set ads on the game levels. is that necessary? look here and see what the fuss is all about

they also have this setup to see just how long you look at the ads as well. :wacko:

you know, so not to bore you blokes too much. I see it now...I'm running along and see a kotex tampon ad on the wall with my daughter looking on. :angry:

Edited by Papa6

But Townsend made it clear that IGA "does not capture any personally identifiable information" for those playing BF2142, going on to explain exactly what details the game's users are supplying when they play.

Specifically, IGA's software uses the IP address for geotargeting of in-game ads (so that European ads are not shown to those in the U.S., for example). It also creates a unique user number that's generated locally, and is able to re-identify the gamer when he next appears online.

How is that not personal?

As far as this forum is concerned, really, all I am is a number.

All the US is concerned, really, all I am is a number (Social Security).

All most of the interweb is concerned, really, all I am is a Number (IP)

How is this not personal? With said IP, they could essentinally track me down to where I am sitting.

In addition, IGA's in-game ad solution does capture the time of day that the user started to play each gaming session

How does it matter if I play at 8pm EST after work, or 3am on the weekend?

######ing stalker

the ads may only be served between 6pm and 9pm on a weekday evening or similar, to replicate 'primetime' viewing.

ROCK ON! So my game will only look/run like ###### during set times of the day! (Re: from what I've seen, the ads are texture tags like CSS sprays throughout the levels)

The time that each ad impression takes place is also recorded by IGA, alongside what type of ad content it was (billboard, megaboard, or video stream)

OK, so it's basically a video of what you're playing all the time. At the very least, can we get a demo of us playing while you're making our ###### bleed?

IGA's Townsend went on to explain exactly why identifying specific consumers is not part of his company's goal

Dip######, you've already identified us through our IP's - even though you don't know our names or SS's, you can track us to our homes.

"you are always going have that hardcore vocal minority"

I think this has already been covered, no? I somehow see how this many differnt articles being written, and this many posts, consists of "Minority". I wonder how hard their sales actually will suffer? I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison chart of BF2/2142 sales.

If gamers still want to have a high amount of good quality titles year in and year out, there needs to be alternate revenue streams"

This was also already covered (Re: movies) - in that the movie makers are still making a killing reguardless of the lesser charge. Still entertainment though.

"actually getting brands to do specific creative for games" to enable those brands to blend in better in the game.

Honestly, this doesn't bother me. If it's on a billboard that is half blown up, in the middle of the battlefield (yet next to a highway), that's another story. Even if they change the ad every map or so, that's a differnt story. It's tactful placing like this that I was honestly worried about. I don't want to see colorful/tacky/blantant ads all over my games. THAT is (part 1 of) what I am worried about. The other thing I am worried about is the IP's. I don't want them to track anything about me. Granted, the game will have to, but I belive you know what I mean. Get rid of the spyware aspect and just run some banner/ad script that has maybe 6-10 differnt ads every game. Sure, you wont be able to track actual views of said ads, but you could change that method of charge and just charge a static fee for getting your ad into the game's "Ad Rotation", if you will.

"it's near future", in the sense that "...there are no laser beams being shot around."

This also made me laugh, which was covered as well. Granted, I suppose "Near future" could be defined differntly between person to person. To me, near future is within my lifetime (re: 22 now, so lets say anywhere from 30-60 years)

Anyways, just my .02. I've had alot of other thoughts on the subject, and they keep getting skewed because I keep forgetting what it is I want to say.

The above quotes are taken from this article.

If you play single player do you have to be connected to the internet?

If the BF series history is telling, then you can play offline as you see fit.

Is there an offline Lan choice ?....

Dunno.

SWAT4 had more or less the exact same situation... although the ads were added in a patch, not out the door. It's really not that intrusive, but if you are a privacy advocate, 'not that' is too much, and I understand that.

Vote with your wallet, gamers. Please.