Communicating with other Coop-ers

I think tonight I will be experimenting with a friend on a private game of PC GRAW. One of us will setup a game the other can join, but we completely forgot about the in-game communications. We were so passive in this respect from our console-ways, we forgot about Live-like headset so we could communicate with one-another.

teamspeak or ventrilo would do best

but maybe msn messenger live or other voice com in windows could do the trick if you are just two people having fun (don't know about the resource hogs of windows or complications they might bring)

then there are probably other programs i don't know ...

Use xfire (TS in the backend?). Or do as I do :)

A separate computer running as TS server. I have one that some friends and I use when running CS:S (No I don´t play that crap anymore) Let the one not hosting the GRAW game host the TS server or if any one of you have a dualcore cpu, use that instead since GRAW don´t ? use dualcores AFAIK. Oh, I forgot there no problem using an old PII - PIII with 128MB Ram and an linux distro (Ubuntu server) on the dedicated Ts server.

Messenger uses a lot of system resources but usually is very clear. Team Speak is the most popular and uses less resources and so does Roger Wilco. Some of our team have problems connecting on RW though so we tend to use TS the most.

PS: Using a seperate system to handle the comms like Moondancer is the best but not many people have a spare computer laying around for that purpose.

Edited by Fletch

These are all software solutions. As for headsets, use whatever headset and microphone combination you find comfortable to use. You certainly don't need a fancy USB headset, just a standard analogue set plugged into your existing sound card.

These are all software solutions. As for headsets, use whatever headset and microphone combination you find comfortable to use. You certainly don't need a fancy USB headset, just a standard analogue set plugged into your existing sound card.

In fact, a USB headset might cause problems because the headset ends up becoming a separate sound device. So I would avoid them. There are plenty of "regular" headsets that will work... just find one that is comfortable. One that feels okay in a store might end up hurting real bad after wearing it a long time.

PS: Using a seperate system to handle the comms like Moondancer is the best but not many people have a spare computer laying around for that purpose.

The minimal requirements for the TeamSpeak server for Windows (98, 98SE, NT4, 2000, XP) is a Pentium 166 with 64 mb memory for 98 and 98SE and a Pentium II class processor and 128 mb memory for the other Windows flavours.

For a console Linux box (without running a Graphical User Interface like an X server or equivalents) a Pentium 100 with 32 mb memory will suffice and with a Graphical User Interface we recommend a Pentium 166 with 64 mb of memory.

Kinda hard not to have something better than that laying around lol...

In fact, a USB headset might cause problems because the headset ends up becoming a separate sound device. So I would avoid them. There are plenty of "regular" headsets that will work... just find one that is comfortable. One that feels okay in a store might end up hurting real bad after wearing it a long time.

I use a Plantronics USB headset and I don't have that problem. I hear the game sounds thru my Kenwood PC Speakers and Teamspeak or Rogerwilco thru the USB headsets with no problems. Plantronics also has a sound manager that allows you to switch all the sounds to the headsets so you won't disturb anyone.

Not bad, I don't worry about tying up USB ports as I have 4 in the back and 2 on the front. And if necessary I have a USB hub unused in the junk drawer. If I ever have to buy another headset/mic it will be another Plantronics system. I think it has been the best in both sound quality and durability of all the systems I have ever bought. (Not to mention ease of setup/use).

Not bad, I don't worry about tying up USB ports as I have 4 in the back and 2 on the front. And if necessary I have a USB hub unused in the junk drawer. If I ever have to buy another headset/mic it will be another Plantronics system. I think it has been the best in both sound quality and durability of all the systems I have ever bought. (Not to mention ease of setup/use).

I use a plantronics Audio 350.. not 5.1 but quality is excellent. I would shy away from usb headsets as most have there own built in sound card that will override yours if you have a good one like an x-fi or audigy of any type.

When I was looking into 5.1 surround sound headphones, I spent the extra $5 to add on a clip-on mic. Works very well for me. BUT I have also used cheap-o's from Wal-Mart and those will usually work just fine for voice comms...

When I was looking into 5.1 surround sound headphones, I spent the extra $5 to add on a clip-on mic. Works very well for me. BUT I have also used cheap-o's from Wal-Mart and those will usually work just fine for voice comms...

I would recommend though rather with headset or mic by itself, make sure you get one with noise cancelation.

I just use a pc-desktop mic (for about 5 euro's) and my earplugs/ headset. Works just fine. Though because my fan is a bit noisy some can hear that in the background of my comms. Still pretty good sound and very cheap, easy to use (no heavy thing on ur head) and doesn't break/ wear down that much like headsets do.

But hey, whatever is comfortable for you should do the trick ;)

Game On!

I have a set of the eDimensional Force Feedback headsets (yes, they do 'rumble'!)

https://edimensional.com/product_info.php?c...61e76e5e50327a5

noise cancelling mic, comfortable fit, and the sound quality is pretty damn good. Plugs into normal sound ports, plus to use the force feedback (NOT required) you plug one plug into a free usb port.

I like 'em... a lot.

I've heard good things about those eDimensional headsets, but at the time I opted for a iCEMAT Siberia headphones. They work great, but I have my eyes set on a Medusa 5.1. It's what I originally wanted, but I couldn't find a place that sells them in the USA. Apparently they have an online store for USA customers. A little over $100 for a pair unfortunately, so it'll be a little while before I get my hands on one.

I'm using the Tritton AX360 headset, which I have been very happy with with a couple of exceptions.

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA600.html

These can connect directly through the standard surround audio i/o, or by using the included external audio controller through either digital i/o or optical i/o. The sound is excellent through the standard surround connection; through the audio controller, the sound is almost too intense for these old ears.

The headset works great through the standard connection, but unfortunately I have had problems when connecting off the digital i/o on my X-Fi sound card (some low level white noise and no mic functionality - the digital i/o doubles as a mic i/o on the X-Fi cards). Tritton's tech support says it's an X-Fi sound card issue, and they have worked with the Creative people to include a fix in Creative's next X-Fi driver release. We shall see.

Glad to see you got it working. You guys should play with the settings to see what the lowest one you can use is. That way you use less of the systems resources for TS and have more available for the game.