Why an Irishman gave his life in Iraq

tyovan4

Why an Irishman gave his life

By Thomas Harding, Ireland Correspondent

(Filed: 09/04/2003)

A lance corporal who was killed during the push on Basra was the first Irishman in almost 50 years to die in combat while serving with the British Army.

A Dubliner, L/Cpl Ian Malone took the decision to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen to fulfil his ambition of becoming a soldier after being rejected as too old, at 22, for the Irish army.

L/Cpl Malone, 28, who died on Sunday, considered the French Foreign Legion. But he opted to join the 600 men from the Irish Republic who are currently serving with British forces. Given the recent history of the Troubles, Irishmen face criticism for joining an organisation seen by some as an "army of occupation" in Northern Ireland.

L/Cpl Malone, who had been a warehouse worker, told an Irish television documentary All the Queen's Men: "I'm just doing a job abroad. People in Ireland go on saying men died for our freedom. They died to give men like me the freedom to choose what I want to do."

His family said he was proud to be an Irishman and to be serving in the Irish Guards.

From the very beginnings of the British Army, Irishmen have been in its service. Large numbers fought with Wellington and more than 36,000 died during the First World War. Despite two decades of Irish independence 60,000 volunteered to fight in the British Army against the Nazis.

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main..../ixnewstop.html

0005200E-28A7-1E92-820480BFB6FA0000.jpg

To L/Cpl Ian Malone and the many others who made the ultimate scrafice so that others may know what freedom is thank you. Your courage, dedication and spirit shall never be forgotten by this man. May you find peace and comfort in the knowledge that you have done a very great service to a supressed people.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

I was reading on some Irish army forums about this outstanding soldier. He was apparantly a member of the Irish Army Reserves (they call them the FCA I believe) before he joined the Irish Guards. Apparantly, politics is being put aside and there will be Irish Army (from the Republic in case anyone is confused) representation at his funeral. The lads from that forum also suggested that there may be a joint British-Irish military funeral for him, in Dublin. Hopefully, everyone will put politics aside and focus on what a terrible loss for both countries this young man's death was.

I lived in Dublin for two years, and I can tell you those are brave lads.....1) For going out there in the first place....and 2) to join the British army and risk being socially outcast by many Irish who resent the Brits...................

My hats off to ye boys............

A salute should go out to every Soldier (men and women) who go to a foreign country and fight for freedom for a people that will never fully understand the sacrifices made by those soldiers who are merely fighting on behalf of an oppressed country that cannot defend themselves.

To complete my original post..

(Note: This song sun by an Irish tenor is one of two songs that bring a tear to my eye.)

There's a tear in your eye,

And I'm wondering why,

For it never should be there at all.

With such pow'r in your smile,

Sure a stone you'd beguile,

So there's never a teardrop should fall.

When your sweet lilting laughter's

Like some fairy song,

And your eyes twinkle bright as can be;

You should laugh all the while

And all other times smile,

And now, smile a smile for me.

When Irish eyes are smiling,

Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.

In the lilt of Irish laughter

You can hear the angels sing.

When Irish hearts are happy,

All the world seems bright and gay.

And when Irish eyes are smiling,

Sure, they steal your heart away.

For your smile is a part

Of the love in your heart,

And it makes even sunshine more bright.

Like the linnet's sweet song,

Crooning all the day long,

Comes your laughter and light.

For the springtime of life

Is the sweetest of all

There is ne'er a real care or regret;

And while springtime is ours

Throughout all of youth's hours,

Let us smile each chance we get.

When Irish eyes are smiling,

Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.

In the lilt of Irish laughter

You can hear the angels sing.

When Irish hearts are happy,

All the world seems bright and gay.

And when Irish eyes are smiling,

Sure, they steal your heart away.

Kane here

How is it that the British Army can recruit in Ireland - no other country on Earth does that as far as I know. I wish the US could do it in Canada.

That said, the US military has a very large number of non-citizens serving.

A Jamaican born Canadian citizen serving in the Marine Corps was killed in Iraq.

Kane out

Kane,

I was going to say that Canadians can and do serve in the US Military, but as I read farther in your post I noticed that you touched on that. In fact I briefly served with a Canadian in the US Navy when I was in.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

Kane here

Warhawk:

Canadians have served in the US military as far back as the Civil War. 50,000 served in the Union Army, making it the third largest war in Canadian history. Two brothers won Medals of Honor at the Battle of Santiago in 1898. In the paper here last week, there was a story about a young Marine from Saskatchewan who was wounded in Iraq. So it is not impossible but there is a huge difference between the US and Canada, and the UK and Ireland.

The British actively recruit in the Republic, while the US does not in Canada. Their recruiting standards mention UK citizens, Irish citizens and citizens of Commonwealth countries resident in the UK for 5 years. The US does not recruit outside the US and its Commonwealth (i.e. PR, GU, Samoa) but foreign citizens with green cards can serve, but only citizens can be officers. To be equivalent the US would have to say Canadian citizens could serve in the US military on par with US citizens, and that hasn't happened. It should, though. However the Canadian government would disagree.

I'm sure we can debate this forever. Yes Canadians have served in the United States military and can today under certain circumstances. However the British-Irish relationship is different as the British government allows Irish citizens to serve equivalent to their UK counterparts.

Kane out

Kane,

I wasn't putting up info in an effort to disagree with you, if I am misreading your last post please accept my apologies and disreguard this post, but merely putting up info that I found not everyone knew.

I was surprised to learn from your post about Canadian involvement in the Civil War. You can bet that I will be looking into that futher. Thanks for the info and what appears to be will researched information.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that Lance Corporal Malone has been returned to Ireland.

About the multi-national funeral:

There will be no firing party, band or flags. Pipers from the Irish Guards and Irish Defence Forces will play outside the church before the service.

A bearer party from the 1st Battalion Irish Guards will bear the coffin from the church in military uniform, accompanied by pipers. 

Lance Corporal Malone joined the Irish Guards in 1997

The coffin will not be draped with a national or regimental flag.

In a statement, the British Embassy in Dublin said: "The symbolism of pipers and soldiers from both the FCA (Irish Defence Forces) and Irish Guards reflects Ian's view that he was proud to be Irish and proud to serve in the Irish Guards."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/norther...and/2966693.stm