GRIN beta testing

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! It really helps a lot.

The no. 1 server did crash yesterday which wasn't exactly what we hoped for, but it was still valuable since we got some important information out of that. We will change some server settings (based on some very valid points in here), and then kick the server back up within an hour or so. Some GRIN guys will try to join in during today as well.

I trust I don't have to repeat the purpose of this test once more, right? ;)

/GRIN QA Manager (not the PR guy)

the AFK thing was sorted later that night :P when there was a vote kick :D

we did it 6 times or so because we were unfamiliar with the process but it finally worked out well

the /vote kick "player name" is so simple to activate :D that it is over before you know it, the one who initiates the vote should not vote untill others have had the time to vote

otherwise the vote is over with the first vote

a timer on the start sequence would be nice, that would help start the games insted of having to kick vote every one that is afk, or over eager folk that start a vote because they are suffering a lack of patience

i love to stress test :D had great fun yesterday get that slow rig going again and i will join

saw them being up but no maps displayed or any server info came up....

i will try to join,

no luck joining ping has the big 0

Edited by sui317

Got this crash 3 times playing on the GRIN beta testing server today.

First on Hollow then on Chanty Town and The Cape

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.30

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(-1): cant find member: slot_name in type <destroyed c++class>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\units\types\weapons\eglm.dsf(0)a[/code]

Dont know if it was caused by the server or not, but I put it here for you to se anyway.

Never had this crash before.

[left] [/left]

Edited by ^BR^LARSA

I think the rule, "no spawn till everyone is ready" is good, those peeps with uber machines and lightning quick connections obviously have a greater advantage if they spawn before everyone else. Take BF2 for example, half the flags are capped before some poor fella with a lesser spec spawns.

PS Anyone know why I couldn't get onto Test Server 2? It must have been waiting for server for like 5 mins, I had to cancel in the end.

just got disconnected from test server 2

good games though :)

how come that in the normal server list it says one online at test server 2 while in my favorites it says 0 online ?

this is not just related to the test servers though, ...

Edited by sui317

Got this crash 3 times playing on the GRIN beta testing server today.

First on Hollow then on Chanty Town and The Cape

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.30

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(-1): cant find member: slot_name in type <destroyed c++class>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\units\types\weapons\eglm.dsf(0)a

Dont know if it was caused by the server or not, but I put it here for you to se anyway.

Never had this crash before.

Thanks for the report. We've had this crash here also. It's happens because the server and the clients have different versions of the exe. (Which means it won't be a problem once the new patch is out.)

We will take the servers down for a while now to do some fixing and then kick them back up asap.

Thanks all for playing and helping out. Great fun!

I think the rule, "no spawn till everyone is ready" is good, those peeps with uber machines and lightning quick connections obviously have a greater advantage if they spawn before everyone else. Take BF2 for example, half the flags are capped before some poor fella with a lesser spec spawns.

My problem isn't the unfairness with different connections and machines. My problem is that some guys got better aim than I. Guess what, life's a ######. But it is far better to play GRAW than setting in the GRAW lobby with 20 peeps waiting for the single someone finishing his dinner or whatever.

My problem isn't the unfairness with different connections and machines. My problem is that some guys got better aim than I. Guess what, life's a ######. But it is far better to play GRAW than setting in the GRAW lobby with 20 peeps waiting for the single someone finishing his dinner or whatever.

It is good if you have an admin present to force it if needed.

What would be better is the ability to change the match starting in 5 sec... you could set it to 20 and 2 peeps ready. That way everyone would get a fair shake in... + not be held up by an afker.

First off, I need to clearify; This is not the official un-official beta testing. This is an open-for-all stress test of the server (thus all the changes are server-side and you don't need to update any files to participate). This also means that no other fixes can be tested now. That have to wait until we release a beta version of the next patch.

The problems with the version check should be solved. Very sorry about that.

Please note that the server is slow which is needed to stress the game, hang on during the loading times.

We might put up a second, faster server later.

Great points ROCOAFZ - what is the point of testing when you don't know what you're supposed to be testing for? :wacko:

That is just a prime example of the pitiful amount of thought that goes into a Grin post before any announcement.

I mean, GRIN_jessejames? (who has only posted 14 posts) is asking anyone to do "some testing"? :blink:

It gives me the impression that Grin is just a collection of have-a-go coders who are now independently tinkering with a badly broken product with out any coordinated effort which warrants an offical test or statement of intent :angry:

Oliver, I think your post is uncalled for. Why do you find it necessary to attack someone just because he only has 14 posts?

JesseJames made it clear in his clarification post that this beta test is a server stress test. All they wanted was for people to join the server to test stress levels. A listing of fixed bugs isn't needed.

Althought Oliver put it very rudely my point was valid. We know some of the bugs but i thought it may be better to have a list so we can stress the server on each and every bug to make sure every angle of it was resolved.

And Oliver... Grin has been very receptive and made ever possible try to appease us... in fact i'm betting half the bugs were caused by things we wanted added in the game even though Grin stated it would be hard to implement.

Heck the whole GL bug thing was probably because of something you wanted LOL!

Gentlemen, I agree with you both.

ZJJ - my initial post was not intended to be rude - and if it was then I apologise without reserve. The issue I was trying to emphasise was not that JesseJames had only made 14 posts - but that his initial post asking people to test was vague and gave nobody any idea what was being tested. Which is what ROCOAFZ picked up on immediately.

ROCOAFZ - I agree that your point was valid - however I may have expressed it. And again, if this came across as being rude then I apologise. But my frustration remains. Yes Grin are trying to address the issues - but emails such as JesseJames' initial email do not inspire confidence. To me it seems casual, almost trivial. I would have much preferred to see a more detailed initial email with a list of what what exactly was being tested. It just seems to me to be such a careless approach to addressing issues.

And as for the whole GL bug thing existing for something I wanted? I doubt it, dear boy. I've never got past asking for a decent manual :P