FRAPS

:huh: Boy when I built this system (about a year ago), I thought at the time it would smoke any game. Soltek MB,250GB SATA HD, 3500AMD Clawhammer CPU, X800GTO Video, 2GB Dual Channel Ram. The Speedfan heat monitor tells me I'm only hitting 32C, while the MB heat moniter says 55C.

Man was I ever disappointed when I ran FRAPS on it running GR:AW at Medium settings. I'm only getting 18FPS on average in the game. :wall:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, Gigabyte GA-945 mobo, 2GB Kingston DDR2 Dual Channel, Gigabyte GeForce 7950 GX2, SB Audigy 4, 250GB HD. I have everything maxed out (including resolution). I usually get 35-60fps depending on the map and number of players onscreen at once (at least on MP, SP is fine). John Doe's Hellhole gives me 30 or less near the extraction zone because there's usually a ton going on :) .

Your system specs seem ok, but it looks like your video card is the limiting factor there. ATI is coming out with a new series of cards sometime this month I believe. 2 of them are already out the x1950xtx 512MB ($450)and the x1650 pro. The x1950xt 256MB should be out this month below $300. The new ATI cards use DDR4 instead of DDR3 like the current gen of video cards. And with newer ATI cards you can force true AA with GRAW unlike Nvidia cards.

Man was I ever disappointed when I ran FRAPS on it running GR:AW at Medium settings. I'm only getting 18FPS on average in the game. :wall:

I have a P4 3GHz, 1,25GB RAM, and an X1600pro AGP card, and when I set everything on low, and 640x480, I get around 15-20 fps. When I turn everything to max, 1024x768, I also get 15-20 fps. :)

But, this 15-20 fps feels fluid, smooth, and completely playable, so I'm fine with it...

-Athenian' date='Oct 4 2006, 04:59 PM' post='426445']

And with newer ATI cards you can force true AA with GRAW unlike Nvidia cards.

Not true...the way the lighting works in GRAW isn't normal HDR lighting (like Oblivion or Half Life 2). The game uses a different form of HDR I believe. If the game allowed, say, bloom instead of the current version of lighting then anyone (including nVidia card owners) could run the game with AA. Technically, the game CAN run AA, but there are different types of AA that are available, but the only one that works with the lighting that we have now would take such a performance hit that even SLI 7900GTXs wouldn't be able to run the game playably.

Edited by Nutlink

So it seems My video card is screwing me here. In more way$ than one. I have a AGP MB and card. If I want a faster card I'll have to get a new MB, or does anyone know what the best AGP card on the market is?

How much are you willing to spend? AGP has been phased out (and rather quickly, too), but there are still a few good cards out there that will run most games just fine. You might even be better off buying a moderate s939 motherboard and a PCI-Express card.

Edited by Nutlink

Just bought a new Audi A4 and have to put off buying parts for a new system till about tax time next year (if Direct X10 is ready). So since I want to eventually get my Core2 6700 system running I think just a good Video card might be less headache. To answer your question $300 or less, And either ATI or Nvidia.

How much are you willing to spend? AGP has been phased out (and rather quickly, too), but there are still a few good cards out there that will run most games just fine. You might even be better off buying a moderate s939 motherboard and a PCI-Express card.

the fastest Nvidia card as far as i know for AGP would be the xfx or bfg version of the 6800 GT (X/O wgatwever) ddr3 memory is what you want to look for, 256 mb ddr3 is better than 512mb ddr2

My system (the important bits anyway)

AMD Sempron 2500

1 gb Crucial PC2700

80gb IDE HD

BFG 7600GS 512mb DDR2

Cheapo 2.1 sound card

I'm getting between 25 to 45 fps, lower when things get lively, John Doe's hell hole etc, but as has been said the game is really smooth.

In fact I'm very pleasantly pleased with how well the game plays. I had been concerned that my lowely spec would cause me concerns when things started to hot up but that's not the case.

Athlon X2 4800+ (s939)

2GB Corsair ValueSelect RAM

2x74GB Raptors in RAID 0

7900GTX

Game set at everything high (except post effects, set at medium), and the resolution is 1680x1050 (widescreen). I get around 40-50 fps during heavy action, otherwise around 60 fps. So I don't doubt for a second that at a slightly lower resolution with a second 7900GTX that you get above 70 fps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150131

I'm going to pick this one up on payday, changing from ATI to Nvidia. IIRC I have to delete all the ATI stuff first then shut down install the new card and on re-start it should find the new card with no problem.

Once it's in I'll re-do the fraps and see if it was worth it.

Relatively good choice. Download something called "Driver Cleaner Professional Edition," and after you uninstall the old ATI drivers, reboot, run DC, shutdown, put in the new card, start up, and install the newest nVidia drivers :)

Oh, and make sure you have a decent powersupply as well, and that it has a spare connecter for the card.

Edited by Nutlink

Most of yall got me beat:

AMD 2800 XP Oc'ed to Xp3000

Shuttle Mobo AN35N Ultra 400 Nvidia

2gig OCZ Plat ram

ATI 9800 Pro Oc agp

Audigy 2 ZS,

On mostly low or medium I get 15-25 fps depending on what I am looking at.

Gameplay is smooth at times, but mostly choppy a bit here and there.

Relatively good choice. Download something called "Driver Cleaner Professional Edition," and after you uninstall the old ATI drivers, reboot, run DC, shutdown, put in the new card, start up, and install the newest nVidia drivers :)

Oh, and make sure you have a decent powersupply as well, and that it has a spare connecter for the card.

Use the Drive Cleaner only if you do backups of the setttings before cleaning. I have had some bad "cleanings" by the program, but it was only to restore and do again. I am not saying that the program is bad (funny that one has to state what one dosen't say at these boards), just that you need to be conservative and cautious with it.

Hmmm....maybe I didn't state that because I've never had, nor seen, any problems with DC? I've been using it for several years now, and haven't had any issues on any of the computers I've used it on.

I never had any issues ... with it. Jas... you use it for ati or nvidia ?

I used it for nvidia's... ati use to be notorious for unistalling there drivers. maybe that was the issue?

I DL'ed DC Pro and it seems pretty straight forward. I'll be using it soon, I'll let you know if there were any problems, either due to my inability to follow directions properly or the program doing something weird.