What FPS should I be getting with my current rig?

rossiski

With my little P4 2gHz, 1 gb RAM, 6800GS OC rig, I can get around 11,000 on my 3dMark03 test.

In-game Ghost Recon, I usually run all settings on high, 1024x768. Mipmaps turned off. Texture compression is turned on. EAX is off. Force Software is on. Alternate Sound Cache is on. Forceware 84.56 (found better 3dMark03 scores with this one vs. the latest 91.47). Running RivaTuner, I unlocked the extra 4 pipelines on my vcard (now I'm up to 16). 32 color bit on desktop, 16 bit in-game. I have a GR app profile that is currently set at Antialiasing 2xQ, Anisotropic 2x, Image settings are "Quality", V-Sync off, mipmaps bilinear. Running @ 60hz refresh rate.

I just defragged my harddrive and I do have an alternate gaming hardware profile through WinXP that turns off all the unnecessary services. Virtual memory is at 2.5 gig.

While playing TCGR (or [GR] or GR1, however you want to call it), I'm running in the low-high 30s in my FPS. On some of the YOTM maps, I'm constantly at 20 FPS. What's funny, is that even if I reduce my graphical settings, I still remain at 20 FPS.

Advice, please...do I have something missing (other than hardware) in my software config that is keeping me back? Or is this normal FPS for my setup and hardware?

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone know what these details mean from the Options.XML file?

<UsePrimaryDisplay>FALSE</UsePrimaryDisplay>

<UseDisplayDeviceGuid>FALSE</UseDisplayDeviceGuid>

Last night, someone told me if I set those to TRUE, I'd get better frame rates. I've tried it and didn't see any real improvement.

To be quite honest, its not about frame rates, its about how smooth gameplay is.

I wouldn't use AA on GRAW, let the game do the smoothing. Set your card settings to performance.

Your CPU and RAM are the crux of your system IMOHO.

Give it a shot, and rember its about fluidity not fps.

Just my two centavos.

To be quite honest, its not about frame rates, its about how smooth gameplay is.

I wouldn't use AA on GRAW, let the game do the smoothing. Set your card settings to performance.

Your CPU and RAM are the crux of your system IMOHO.

Give it a shot, and rember its about fluidity not fps.

Just my two centavos.

Sorry if my original post was confusing. I'm running Ghost Recon, not GRAW. With GRAW, I know I have an under-performing system so I can't play it until I upgrade to a new rig. For Ghost Recon, I should be doing quite well with options on high and 30+ FPS for the most part. I'm finding that not to be the case.

Thanks for the response, though.

What setting do you have shadows on? Try turning them off just to see what improvement that gives, as shadows were always a big hit on FPS in GR1.

You should really be getting more than that sort of frames with that rig I think.

I have a similar system (Pentium 4 2.40 GHz, 1GB RAM, Leadtek A6600 GT TDH, which is a GeForce 6600 GT).

My FPS is usually around 30 - 40, I think its strange how it can go down to 20 FPS. I dont have good FPS either, I mean for me to not have any special AA or etc. enabled.

I sure think it should go faster though, I mean remember Original GR's reccomendations? lol

Edited by Foxtrot23