Top End Machine GRAW will not start

Installed GRAW off DVD. Tried installing and running it from both the DVD writer drive and plain old dvd-rom drive. System specs are over the top on everything. Clean install with no reported errors. Drivers all current, and even went after some betas to get the newest of the newest.

Ran the program from the desktop icon and monitored task manager. Shows that the program triggers for less than a second and shuts right back down. No screen change. Video stays at desktop. No audio. No splash screen.

The only reports found of similar problems point at sound card. No access to a sound card to replace onboard Soundmax 1988B hd audio (ms hd patch) so we want to exhaust all other possibilites before purchasing an add-on sound card.

Is it possible that the video card is not supported yet or should it be backward compatible enough that we should at least get a start?

Is there a means to get past the splash to see if that is the problem?

Are there any command line switches to bypass audio requirements and troubleshoot the rest of the install? Are there any UBI crash logs that can be accessed for insight into the problem?

Dr watson notes nothing

Sys manager event logs note no problems

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4600+ Socket AM2 2.40 gigahertz

Motherboard: ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE nForce 590 SLI

Graphics Card: ASUS EN7900GTX/2DHTV/512M Geforce 7900GTX 512MB

RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C3 2GB Kit DDR2-800

Hard Drive: Seagate NL35 Series ST3400632NS 400GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

DVD R/W Drive: HP DVD Writer 840x

DVD ROM Drive: Lite-On DVD-ROM LTD163

Display: Viewsonic VP920B / 19" / EXTREME 4ms

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express/SLI Power Supply

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 9/30/2006, 22:40:26

Machine name:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: SoundMAX HD Audio

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_198B&SUBSYS_104381F6&REV_1002

Manufacturer ID: 65535

Product ID: 65535

Type: WDM

Driver Name: ADIHdAud.sys

Driver Version: 5.10.0001.4570 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: No

Date and Size: 7/26/2006 07:25:00, 247808 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: AnalogDevices

HW Accel Level: Basic

Cap Flags: 0xF5F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: All tests were successful.

Edited by Col Flanders

OMG all that info for a simple windows update problem :rofl:

Your answer is simple matey you need to uninstall a windows update i`ll go fetch the number of it.

Here ya go dude go to add/remove programmes and check the box that says "show updates" thenb scroll down and delete "security update KB917422" ...Hey presto game works ..(or i`m pretty sure that`s the problem anyway)

If BPR_MiK's suggestion doesn't work (and I'd be interested to hear if it does) you are going to need to put a sound card in there, GR:AW's minimum spec is for a DX9.0c sound card, on board sound is not usually supported for games.

If BPR_MiK's suggestion doesn't work (and I'd be interested to hear if it does) you are going to need to put a sound card in there, GR:AW's minimum spec is for a DX9.0c sound card, on board sound is not usually supported for games.

I have onboard sound..realtek or something.I`ve never had a problem and TBH while talking to my team mates with sound cards it seems i actually can tell direction of sounds in GRAW better than quite a few..

AHH but now you come to mention it...maybe that`s why i can`t hear myself unless i`m running or kicking cans and stuff ??

Oh but i have got directx9c

Edited by BPR_MiK

Okay, BPR-MiK's suggestion to remove "Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)" made me a bit nervous. It is described by Microsoft as fixing: "A security issue has been identified in the Windows Kernel that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it."

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Not something I was terribly excited about removing from my system. After much research, I've noticed that there are at least a half dozen other games, and several people who have been affected by this update.

I removed it to see if GRAW would run. I got as far as about 3 seconds of splash screen before I locked up into a blackscreen.... So back on went the Security Update until I find another solution.

Too bad, I've been a loyal Clancy/UBI/Ghost Recon owner for many years (I own about 12 UBI games) now that I finally have a good enough machine to run a game I bought the day after it released- it doesn't work!

I'd love to hear more suggestions if you have them.

Too bad, I've been a loyal Clancy/UBI/Ghost Recon owner for many years (I own about 12 UBI games) now that I finally have a good enough machine to run a game I bought the day after it released- it doesn't work!

It's a good PC apart from the missing sound card, sound card is a minumin spec, not onboard sound. See if someone can lend you a sound card for half an hour to try it out, see if it makes a difference.

It's a good PC apart from the missing sound card, sound card is a minumin spec, not onboard sound. See if someone can lend you a sound card for half an hour to try it out, see if it makes a difference.

Thanks, but it's not the sound card. Sound works fine on this video card, after I installed latest drivers.

Well.....I tried to play GRAW again, this time in a READ ONLY DVD drive instead of my DVD/RW drive. IT RUNS GREAT NOW!

I left the KB917422 Security Update for Windows XP out for now, hopefully they will release a fix soon.

I am also running Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0. That was part of the problem from what I have researched, and disabling KIS will NOT work.

For the record, I do NOT have the Ageia Physics add-on installed, I removed it. The game runs flawlessly and smoothly at 1280x1024 (max supported by my monitor) with my single 7900GTX, AMD Athalon 64 X2 4600+, and 2 GB of RAM. (see above for full specs... lol)

Thanks for the help BPR_MiK!

(and also for all the other suggestions)

Edited by Col Flanders

Thanks, but it's not the sound card. Sound works fine on this video card, after I installed latest drivers.

Well.....I tried to play GRAW again, this time in a READ ONLY DVD drive instead of my DVD/RW drive. IT RUNS GREAT NOW!

I left the KB917422 Security Update for Windows XP out for now, hopefully they will release a fix soon.

I am also running Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0. That was part of the problem from what I have researched, and disabling KIS will NOT work.

For the record, I do NOT have the Ageia Physics add-on installed, I removed it. The game runs flawlessly and smoothly at 1280x1024 (max supported by my monitor) with my single 7900GTX, AMD Athalon 64 X2 4600+, and 2 GB of RAM. (see above for full specs... lol)

It's the safe disc protection. I have seen this with may games and writers. One of our members gets a can't find cd 1st time, everytime he tries to load graw, and sometimes another error. For game protection it is better to have a seperate burner and a standard DVD rom for loading the games.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

Yeah i was going to mention that kis in conjunction with the update is what seems to be the problem..but i`m not 100% sure about the KIS..Your input that you have KIS also makes me more sure.

I have onboard sound..realtek or something.I`ve never had a problem and TBH while talking to my team mates with sound cards it seems i actually can tell direction of sounds in GRAW better than quite a few..

AHH but now you come to mention it...maybe that`s why i can`t hear myself unless i`m running or kicking cans and stuff ??

Oh but i have got directx9c

I'm currently running an ancient 2.1 soundcard would this be DX9c capable?

I have the security update that you indicated, installed but I'm not getting any issues at all. Saying that, given all the problems people have / are having and considering my spec isn't that great, I'm not having any problems with GRAW, at all!

Mik, when you say you can't hear yourself, what do you mean?

Sound has been okay for me so far but on the TuG server last night it did seem as if my sound was muffled other than as you say kicking cans etc. Sound on our server last night was fine?

Mik, when you say you can't hear yourself, what do you mean?

When i run i can hear myself..When i move crouched also i hear myself..but if i walk stood upright i don`t hear myself at all..nothing at all.

i hear other people walking no problems though so it realy isn`t a problem..It`s just that without being able to hear myself i can`t gauge how much noise i`m making.

Sorry but GRAW worked well with my AC 97 sound onboard on my Asus A8ne-FM (fuijitsu motherboard)

I plugged in my old SB live to improbve gameplay (and it did!)

• 7 months later...

UPDATE!

If you are having probelms running GRAW with Kaspersky IS 6, you no longer have to leave out the Windows KB917422 security update for GRAW to run!

After making sure KB917422 is installed (check Add/Remove programs list to check) you can download a fix from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924867

Everything works fine again.