About SADS and connection issues

Stickan

Just a couple of words of wisdom about the SADS and connection issues many have been experiencing.

First of all, make sure the hardware you run SADS on meets the minimum game requirement. The server software calculates all physics and game values, so it's not easy on the system even if you don't need a good graphics card to run it. Secondly, we've fixed a number of the disconnect issues that have been plagueing players since the release of 1.30. Stay tuned for updates in that area. And now, back to the game. The third objective on this [GR] Coop map is really tricky. :santa:

--

Stickan

The third objective on this [GR] Coop map is really tricky. :santa:

--

Stickan

Are you hinting at a new [GR] COOP mode? :)

Missions, toggle on/off mini map key, and large tactical maps (for modder created maps)would be good [GR] COOP features... 0:)

silent_op

Edited by silent_op

Just a couple of words of wisdom about the SADS and connection issues many have been experiencing.

First of all, make sure the hardware you run SADS on meets the minimum game requirement. The server software calculates all physics and game values, so it's not easy on the system even if you don't need a good graphics card to run it. Secondly, we've fixed a number of the disconnect issues that have been plagueing players since the release of 1.30. Stay tuned for updates in that area. And now, back to the game. The third objective on this [GR] Coop map is really tricky. :santa:

--

Stickan

While this is some excellent info, and thank you for posting Stickan, there is something that I find very puzzling about SADS, and something I recently read.

I heard that the SADS are figuring out the physics? If this is truly the case, why are the SADS having to figure it out instead of the client? I'm sure that this would also free up some extra room for connections if the clients were doing the physics. The next thing I don't seem to understand, even after running serveral different game servers, is the high CPU usage, although it has been explained, I'm still struggling with this. Shouldn't the server only provide nothing more than a connection and only update player locations? At least that's my belief of what a game server should be doing... But, I may be off base on this.

If the SADS were looked at the way I just explained, it would or could cut down on CPU cycles from having to figure out the physics of the game and would free up some network resources if the SADS were only to update player locations only.

I was explained that it was the game loop that is using up CPU cycles. Now, since the A/C falls under the server controls, with free'er CPU cycles and less network traffic, it could possibly help with the A/C timeout that is kicking people from the server.

I could be totally off-base with this line of thought and I'm sure that others will or can explain it in terms that we all can understand.

As an addon note, I'm seriously looking forward to this [GR] Co-Op surprise! :)

well I could be off base here since im not really a tech guy but im guessing that the reason for the server to handle the physics is to make sure that everybody gets the same result in the end, framerates etc can change how the physics works and it would be really odd if people started getting physics obejcts in all the wrong places in relation to the other clients:)

could be off tho

• 3 weeks later...

well I could be off base here since im not really a tech guy but im guessing that the reason for the server to handle the physics is to make sure that everybody gets the same result in the end, framerates etc can change how the physics works and it would be really odd if people started getting physics obejcts in all the wrong places in relation to the other clients:)

could be off tho

Hmm, I was drawn back to this thread by someones reference to the allusion about multiple objectives in [GR]-coop mode. While reading I noticed this....

Now here is my problem... Since day 1 of the demo we have always been seeing different physics effects between players. This is most noticable in a few places... 1) Snipers on roofs getting shot -- for one player the sniper falls, for another the gun, for a third neither... 2) What happens to a tango's gun when he dies -- for one player it is stuck 1/2 way into a wall, for another it is lying in one place, for the third it is someplace else.

I have not bothered to really try to document the differences and potential problems that this can cause. But I just wanted to add the facts I knew for history (and searching) sake.

Ragdoll physics which handle the bodies is always done client side as it is WAY too much data to be sent over the network. Physics for simple objects like boxes and other things which require less computation are within the bandwidth of the server and are therefore done by the server and delegated to the clients.

Ragdoll physics normaly will not give any player any clear advantage based on how it is computed. Back in RavenShield the ragdoll Karma files could be edited localy for that reason and made for some interesting death effects.

could be off tho

Hmm, I was drawn back to this thread by someones reference to the allusion about multiple objectives in [GR]-coop mode. While reading I noticed this....

Now here is my problem... Since day 1 of the demo we have always been seeing different physics effects between players. This is most noticable in a few places... 1) Snipers on roofs getting shot -- for one player the sniper falls, for another the gun, for a third neither... 2) What happens to a tango's gun when he dies -- for one player it is stuck 1/2 way into a wall, for another it is lying in one place, for the third it is someplace else.

I have not bothered to really try to document the differences and potential problems that this can cause. But I just wanted to add the facts I knew for history (and searching) sake.

Here is something else... in mp... move a can around a corner... enemy comes kicks the can (which he see's 3 feet to the right), you hear him (he hears no can kick as to him it's not there) and you know he's there blammo.

for this reason, i always thought there should be less trash on the street.

so... when's the patch...stickans reference to a "3rd objective" has me curious.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

Yeah, I'd think the physics of certain objects (as ROCOAFZ pointed out) should be server-side in order to keep things fair. Or just do away with a lot of the trash on the maps. SOME realism might be better dropped from MP, for sake of playability. But...

As for explosions and big particle events, I'd think that's best left to the client computer to handle. So long as the effect is still consistent across the board, who really cares if we all see the explosion the exact same way? Might it possibly offer some slight advantage one time in every fourteen million rounds? Sure. Life isn't fair anyhow, so I don't care so long as playability is maintained.

And i'm equally curious about a certain developer guy's reference to a 3rd objective. GRIN can darned sure keep us interested, eh? LOL

Yeah, I'd think the physics of certain objects (as ROCOAFZ pointed out) should be server-side in order to keep things fair. Or just do away with a lot of the trash on the maps. SOME realism might be better dropped from MP, for sake of playability. But...

As for explosions and big particle events, I'd think that's best left to the client computer to handle. So long as the effect is still consistent across the board, who really cares if we all see the explosion the exact same way? Might it possibly offer some slight advantage one time in every fourteen million rounds? Sure. Life isn't fair anyhow, so I don't care so long as playability is maintained.

And i'm equally curious about a certain developer guy's reference to a 3rd objective. GRIN can darned sure keep us interested, eh? LOL

I always thought the trash in the streets etc was a bit too stupid. c'mon guys clean up your area before you leave the server ok?