OK, not quite given up...M4 in progress

SnowFella

NOTE: to all US GRAW players..

1 create a folder in your local folder named english

2 you must edit your GRAW\context.xml file and when it says language= english, edit it to language =local\english.

3 save the file and restart GRAW. it will now work. it has to do with the fact we are using english by default and you're pointing the game to the snowfella mod

BTW Snowfella.. good work on the M4 models

-Papa6

PS...I seee you GRIN_Wille...being sneaky looking around here huh? :thumbsup:

Edited by Papa6

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys. Always nice to get some pleasant feedback :thumbsup:

Now some answers here.

@GrimeyAK: As you might of noticed by now the taclights and peq2 are permanently on, if you select one of them then that's it...they will even be on when the rifle is slung or the handgun sits in it's holster. Might be very important to know if you will be using any of them in adversarial MP as you will be seen over a greater distance, but then again could come in very handy on a nighttime CQB map as you just about can blind your opponent ;)

@tilliboy: The PEQ2 beam points straight ahead from your rifle so it can indeed be used to aim with, I've found a small difference in the spot where the dot lands compared to where the sights tell it should be but that gets smaller and smaller over distance.

As for adjusting the beam and transparency, both of them are set in 3D Studio Max before export so the only way to adjust that would be for me to change it and re-export the model. Wille told me it indeed is possible to make the beam itself visible (Ie volumetric light) but I never got around to testing this. I might give it a shot in the near future though so stay tuned.

@l33th41: yup, looks like I screwed up there indeed...lol

I acctually had that fixed in the in one of my work in progress versions but totally forgot to make the change again when I had to roll back to a previous version. Asfar as I can tell in my current files though the lower rail acctually doesn't give the effect that the bar says it does, I tried trimming it in so it shouldn't give any effect at all having the rail mounted.

@rookie: It would be fully possible to make, I'd just have to combine the 2 "attachments" in 3dsm and export a new one. Either that or tweak the left hand position on the rifle when a normal rail is attached, ie how the character grips the magwell.

@Papa6: Never knew that the US version was different from the one I use :huh: I never had to do any changes at all to my local folder or contex.xml file to get things to work. Guess I just learnt something new :thumbsup:

@ snowfella, np mate. i did as you stated in the readme file. but it just wouldn't come up. but when i made the english folder, not REALLY necessary since i'm running english, i added it anyway. couldn't hurt right? then i edited the context.xml file as i stated above and amazingly it worked great

Hmm, I tried to combine a lot of different weapon mods I have compiled (MR-C68, SCAR 6.8 SPC, and the 6.8 sniper rifle) plus the M4

The farthest I got to work was the MR-C68 plus the M4. Is there someone here that could just cram all the weapons out there (should be a decent sized list now) into one file?

BTW, the M4 is awesome in 3rd person view!!

Thanks D...just wish I would of had more time on my hands so I really could of finished off the visual look of the model, like making a proper normal map for the whole mesh and not having to rely on a bump conversion for most of it.

@philkilla: It shouldn't really be that hard to combine them all as most files are unique, it's only a handful of files that would have to be consoidated into one single .xml file.

The main problem right now is that most other weapon mods were made pre 1.3 and won't really work with the 1.3 patch installed, if I remember right the MR-C68 is pre 1.3 and would crash GR:AW if used in [GR] COOP, possibly also in normal MP as the patch introduced kit restrictions.

There's also the issue of the ID numbers all weapons and addons have, if you have duplicate numbers then things start getting alittle funky as I noticed when I added the Surefire X200 light in. By misstake I firstly gave it the same ID as the M203 and I have to say that a 1911 handgun with a M203 mounted underbarrel looked alittle weird. :rofl:

I went through the code of each folder in local and compared it from the files I was modding, and I also matched up the ID numbers (I thought about that one at least...)

Good point about the other weapons that aren't really optimized for the 1.3 patch.

Dammit...I just want a lot of guns.

First off, the M4 is great. I can't wait to see more of your work! :D I was wondering if you ever planned on making a custom sound for it (or having someone else make one)?

While a big pack of custom weapons would be cool, this is the only weapon that isn't just a reskin from my knowledge, and I don't see the point in having 4 different colored SCARs that have the same model and sound the exactly the same.

Thanks for taking your time to make this M4 Snow.

Thanks for making this great looking mod! I was wondering, I am looking to intergrate it into my clan's server. How easy is this to install-uninstall, and does it affect server MP play? Meaning, does everybody in the server have to have this mod to play right? Any help on this would be great, thanks.

Thanks for making this great looking mod! I was wondering, I am looking to intergrate it into my clan's server. How easy is this to install-uninstall, and does it affect server MP play? Meaning, does everybody in the server have to have this mod to play right? Any help on this would be great, thanks.

Yes it would effect the MP. In order for you to get it to run you would either have to do 1 of 2 things. 1) turn A/C off which would cause problems, or 2) have the A/C on and only people that have exactly the same files as the server does and possible have your server empty. It sucks, and I know. Sorry.

Snowfella, do you have any plans to fix the clipping (from rookie's post) anytime soon? It's not that big a deal, but it just bugs me sometimes :D . Anyway, it always clips when you use the M4 without any kind of vertical grip.

Edit: Is there a way that I can have the lower rail set as default? I thought it was strange that there was no lower rail set on the model. Was there a reason for that?

Edited by GrimeyAK

I've had one issue brought up by email when it comes to this mod...it's installing and running it if you have any other language than english set by default. If you do you would have to install the mod into your default language folder, be it polish, spanish or whatever. I haven't had a chance to test this but it ought to work, with the downside being that the selectable items in the inventory will be displayed in english.

@bati_gol_20: Thanks mate :thumbsup:

@philkilla: Well, to really get it working you would most likely have to go through all the older mods and make them 1,3 compatible, if I remember right there isn't really that much that differs in the files though.

@shaBAM!: Unfortunately whatever little talent I've been given haven't carried over to sound design so I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to making new sounds. The only "change" I've made on sounds in this little mod is altering the volume setting for the 1911, that's if the sound value lines in the u_****.xml file really does chance that :huh: It did sound alittle louder than the Beretta when I tested it but I can't really say for sure.

@durka-durka*BDA*: As EvilDucky said you would have to have the mod installed on your server, local based, and then all players would also need to have it installed.

@GrimeyAK: We'll see if I'll patch this in the future, if I do I'll change the left hand position on the mag so the hand doesn't clip into the rail. Right now I'm acctually enjoying having a break from modding as I was starting to get somewhat burned out lately, even lost interest in gaming alltogether and haven't had a game started for other than testing my models for nearly a month.

The reasoning behind the separate lower rail was the mounting of the M203, to mount an M203 in real life you have to remove the lower rail. I tried having it attached to the model as a default attachment but unfortunately it didn't work, for some reason a default attachment always seems to get attachend on the top mounting point and having a lower rail as sight looked alittle funny.

I've since figured out a better way of doing it though so if I patch this thing the selectable lower rail attachment will dissapear and it will be mounted on the model permanently...apart from when the M203 is mounted that is :ph34r:

Ok, thanks for the info on that lower rail. How exactly do you remove the lower rail in real life? Can you actually just detach the bottom part of the RIS?

Oh, and if getting that rail mounted permanently is just some XML editing, could you please tell me what to edit? I'm getting interesting in editing stuff. Like you said, I tried the default thing and I ended up with the lower rail as a sight lol.

it's really pretty simple IRL

kac_94297.jpg

As for doing it on the M4 model I'd have to go in and change the setup in my model files quite alot.

I'd first of all have to include it as an individual group in the m4.diesel file, probably named something along the lines of "gfx_rail_loda, gfx_rail_lodb and gfx_rail_lodc", that would require a total re-export of the model from 3dsm.

Then I'd have to edit just about all the attachments .diesel files and remove the rail mesh.

And lastly in the M203's properties file (m203.xml) I'd have to include some lines of code that tells the game to hide the rail mesh.

So it's pretty simple but requires me to redo just about all the .diesel files aswell as most properties files for the attachments.