OK, not quite given up...M4 in progress

SnowFella

Well, finding the animations are pretty easy as they are all aranged in smartly named folders, with the patch we even got the .xml files that drive blending inbetween animations. The problem is the fact that they are in .diesel format and there's no easy way of editing them, hex editing wouls be a huge shot in the dark.

Plus there's the fact that we don't really know what to use as a starting point for making new animations.

There's also the simple truth that there's a multitude of different animations that seem linked to every scope, take something as simple as the scar ironsigh's animations....There seems to be atleast 42 different animations linked to that single sight.

7 for the SCAR L ironsight when prone

7 for the SCAR L ironsight when upright

7 for the SCAR L ironsight/ELGM when prone

7 for the SCAR L ironsight/ELGM when upright

7 for the SCAR L Ironsight with vertical grip when prone

7 for the SCAR L Ironsight with vertical grip when upright

= 42 different animation files, all of them most likely unique in some way or another. :blink:

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see... The .diesel files would be a problem.

Can you tell it to use the SCAR ironsight animations with the M4 using Aimpoint? The SCAR with ironsights must be lower then the SCAR with Aimpoint... But then you don't get the transperancy in the Aimpoint I guess, as that is animated... There has to be way around this problem... I'll think on it some more, maybe I'll come up with something besides modelling spacers.

It ough to be possible to tell the engine to use a different animation for the aimpoint on the M4, but then I have to create a "new" aimpoint addon as any change I make in the current aimpoint also will affect it when mounted on the SCAR L and H models.

Even if I get this working though there won't really be all to much of a difference as the aimpoints sightline is very close to the ironsights, I'd still need some sort of a spacer to make the sight connect with the rail.

sightline.jpg

Looking at the difference in variables for the aimpoint and ironsights though it might indeed mean that the transparency of the sight is lost, although I can't say for sure without testing it.

Well, finding the animations are pretty easy as they are all aranged in smartly named folders, with the patch we even got the .xml files that drive blending inbetween animations. The problem is the fact that they are in .diesel format and there's no easy way of editing them, hex editing wouls be a huge shot in the dark.

Plus there's the fact that we don't really know what to use as a starting point for making new animations.

There's also the simple truth that there's a multitude of different animations that seem linked to every scope, take something as simple as the scar ironsigh's animations....There seems to be atleast 42 different animations linked to that single sight.

7 for the SCAR L ironsight when prone

7 for the SCAR L ironsight when upright

7 for the SCAR L ironsight/ELGM when prone

7 for the SCAR L ironsight/ELGM when upright

7 for the SCAR L Ironsight with vertical grip when prone

7 for the SCAR L Ironsight with vertical grip when upright

= 42 different animation files, all of them most likely unique in some way or another. :blink:

This is kind of why I gave up a few weeks ago or at least am not looking to invest much time into adding any new weapon models in. I don't have much problem doing the animations, but it's like you said, there's no starting point to base everything off of. I just got a killer rig too and GR:AW looks/plays beautiful on it : ( I was hoping to add some new weapons to the game and really enjoy it.

I'm not sure why they went to all the trouble of giving sample files but stopped short of the most important thing, "being able to line up the sights correctly."

Good luck though. Perhaps you or someone else will figure out how to do it, or an acceptable workaround.

Edited by Brettzies

Well, at the moment I'm attempting something totally different than getting the sights to line up :ph34r:

If I can get it working in the way I want then expect to get a shortish ingame video clip posted here in a day or so showing it off.

Well, both my tests worked more or less as I suspected so expect to see something new here pretty soon :devil:

And whisper, I know you are watching this...give the secret away and that meusoc will end up pointing the wrong way :o=

Okiday, here's the almost finalised result of my little secret.

sopmod-peq2-thmb.jpg

(click for large image)

As you can tell by the above screenshot there's now 2 additional attachments available, textures are still work in progress though but the ingame effect should be just about final.

The new attachments are Surefire M900 taclight and an AN/PEQ2 :blink:

The Surefire works just as expected, really lights up the darkness :rocky:

Unfortunately with GR:AW's lighting controls I haven't found a way to make the PEQ2 work exactly as it would in real life, visible only through nightvision goggles. My one is visible to the naked eye and to NOD's. Also GR:AW's apparent lack of volumetric lights, I atleast haven't managed to get it to work, means the beam is invisible even through smoke and haze.

For those of you wanting to see the ingame effect can either check it out at youtube (it's downsized a fair bit though) or download the file from my server and check it at original resolution. Links provided below.

Snowfella-modworks.com download link, full resolution.

The PEQ2's effect is damn near impossible to see on the youtube clip unfortunately.

Videoclips shot using GRIM Dedust [GR]'s nightmap.

Oh, and the suppressor effect now works as it should...simply because I've swapped out the original suppressor for my model, something that unfortunately will affect all primaries that can use a suppressor.

Snow

Something along the line of this?

M4A1 with PEQ2 mounted, look very closely on the tree and you can see the laser dot...it's very weak during daylight.

sopmod-1-thmb.jpg

(click for 1280x1024)

M4A1 with Surefire M900 mounted. Daymap but I hunted down a dark corner of it.

sopmod-2-thmb.jpg

(click for 1280x1024)

M4A1 with KAC vertical grip during reload animation.

sopmod-3-thmb.jpg

(click for 1280x1024)

Keep in mind that alot of the geometry and most textures still are work in progress, lots of things are placeholders at the moment and just for testing purposes. With any luck I'll get the M203 ingame tomorrow and can show that off aswell.

Snow is definately the only guy i think could peak my interest in graw at all, some modern m4's other modern weapons and some modern chr models you never know, i might just pick this title from the bargain bin afterall. Taclight definately a cool feture.

well, i for one hope that this mod will start a resurgence in other mod makers to come back to GRAW and release some content. it would also be nice if GRIN could be able to provide a patch that will provide more weapon and character options in SP and MP.

it is a shame that it took Snow to be the one that will provide the m4 for us. yeah, i know that GRAW is set in the future, but if you think that m4's won't be around in SF in the next 5-8 yrs, you are sadly mistaken. the devs should have known that they should have included the m4, m14, SPR, and sr-25 because it is in the special operations arsenal and it should have been in the game from day one.

most in the GR community are gun freaks and they love having a squad with various weapons, not the handful we got with the original release. i think that is why GRAW pc is doing "so so" and the graphical overload made it even worse. i wish i had modding skills because you can bet that i would be doing exactly what Snow is doing and those of us that are left around here need to support him and others for doing this work for US.

this m4 is going to be sweet and i hope it will inspire others with modelling skills to come in and start modding the ghosts (getting tired of the futuristic look, especially for MP). Great work, Snow :thumbsup:

0:):D

:whistle:

sopmod-m203-thmb.jpg

(as per regular, click for larger pic)

Some animation issues to sort out still, aswell as getting the grenade aligned inside the barrel (currently it sits facing the wrong way around :lol: )

Edited by unwritt3n

ok, very last attachment here. Although this one comes with a smallish downside.

LMT Ironsights

sopmod-ironsights-thmb.jpg

(Click for larger)

The downside being this, with using the standard scar ironsights animation front and rear just won't lineup as they should.

sopmod-ironsights-game-thmb.jpg

(click as per usual)

Pretty much means I have 2 choices:

1: Leave things as they are, pretty much makes the rear sight into a ghostring sight.

2: Raise the front sightpost about half an inch to make the sights line up as they should, gives the M4 a slightly un-natural shape.

Snow

I wouldn't say that mate :unsure:

Unfortunately I've got both good and bad news to bring tonight.

The good news is that this mod will be released sooner than what I originally thought it would....most likely within a week. GR.net supporters have already got a download link for a beta and as soon as I get some feedback from them I can fix up the final package.

The bad news it that it's a "forced" release and the model really ain't up to the standard I would of wanted. I've got something new that has come up quite suddently, aswell as an older paying package I put on ice for this project that I need/want to finish. So I'm forced to cut my work on the M4 package short and move on.

Not to worry though as the M4 and attachment are all working ingame but really aint up to the visual standard that I would of wanted before releasing them.

Even though the models are a fair bit higher in polygon count than the original weapons I haven't seen any real slowdown when using them. Ran a test earlier today, recording framerates, through one section of a map first with a fully tricked out M4 and then only using a handgun...average framerates were virtually identical, only slowdown I noticed with using the M4 compared to handgun was as I fired a 40mm grenade.

Snow