OK, not quite given up...M4 in progress

SnowFella

...I might be an idiot here, but I think I missed slapping the gui folder into the game. I'll try it again on [GR] and see if it works.

EDIT: Nope, same problem, cannot create my own [GR] server without it crashing with this mod and only this mod installed.

Edited by _Stryker_

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much SnowFella's weapon though. Supposedly an old topic an edited weapon worked in MP, but on a note that was SP Lancer, forgot about that... But anyways, I always remove all my mods before attempting MP games, as a matter of course. Odd that GRIN didn't include tips on getting new weapons in MP games.

bloody amazing! i'm tryin' it out right now. EDIT - just been playin with it! damn it's nice to have a good old m4. a new sound for it would really seal the deal -- but it understand that's kinda low on the priorities right now. Great, great work Snow. It's awesome, even in uber-BETA form.

congrats on a GRAW landmark SF

Edited by JTF-2

Now that's probably why I crased out every time I tried testing this thing in MP [GR] COOP mode :lol:

Can't say I have any idea what causes it though as I'm no programmer.

I however think I've come up with a sollution for the eotech's problem of bringing up the optics view...haven't tested it yet though but it's next on the agenda.

@Lancer: Scope sits the way it does for a very good reason. If I lower it down to the rail and I'm right in my assumptions on how GR:AW handles this I'd have to remake all the aiming animations to make things line up properly. In this matter GR:AW seems to mimic real life down to the letter.

Quick introduction to this for the unknowing...nah not you Lancer :P

This is how a real aimpoint scope works.

graw-aiming.jpg

The higher the angle (X in my very crude illustration) between your eye and scopes centerline get the more offcenter the dot will appear as you look through the scope, your bullets will still hit the same point on the target though. If the angle gets big enough you will no longer be able to see the aiming dot as you look through the scope.

GR:AW seems to work very similar, the viewport camera seems to be centered to the characters right eyeball and linked to the animations the character goes through. So for the SCAR, that has a pretty high mounted sight compared to an M4, the character as he goes through the sighting animation will put his head down a certain amount to properly shoulder the rifle...ending up with his eye right behind the scope. If I lower the scope down to the reciever on the M4 the X angle will be so large that the aiming dot acctually ends up above the what you can see through the scope (I've tried this).

So what am I to do about this? Well, first of all I suck at making animations so redoing them all is out of the question.

I'll instead be doing 2 things to fix the problem. First of all I've moved the scope forward quite a bit and that will lower the effect an angle between the sights centerline and your line of sight has. Secondly I'll put a LarueTactical sight riser ontop of the reciever to link the scope up to the rifle.

Snow

Or I might just have something else in mind when it comes to fix No2 :ph34r::whistle:

LOL

I might just of found the reason behind the MP [GR] crash and possibly of my troubles with converting this into a .bundle file. :D

Lets just say some not all to bright person went and did a boo boo by not using the latest available reference files. It's not untill today that I have un-bundled the 1.3 patch and noticed that some of the .xml files have changed quite a bit :blink::wall:

Back into .xml editing tomorrow me thinks. :wacko:

LOL

I might just of found the reason behind the MP [GR] crash and possibly of my troubles with converting this into a .bundle file. :D

Lets just say some not all to bright person went and did a boo boo by not using the latest available reference files. It's not untill today that I have un-bundled the 1.3 patch and noticed that some of the .xml files have changed quite a bit :blink::wall:

Back into .xml editing tomorrow me thinks. :wacko:

are you saying the weapon xmls that were used in the tutorial are not the same as in the 1.3 patch?

Well, not exactly. Going through the tutorial it didn't really cross my mind that I ought to of been smart and used the most current .xml files and it does't really say anywhere in the custom content tutorials that it be best to use references from the patch bundle.

As for the weapon tutorial however...there are a few hints to older .xml files being used and displayed.

Here's one example of this.

weapon_data.xml used in the tutorial

<weapon_data unit="ak74" name="ak74" weapon_id="42" inventory_slot="primary" gui_unit="ak74" weight="3.5" length="80" stability="1" price="120" damage="2" player_weapon="1" grenade="0" cal="556" wizby="2">

<stats caliber="5.56 x 45 mm" rpm="750" velocity="870 m/s" firemodes="SA FA" capacity="60" info="info_ak74" />

<bar_stats accuracy="0.6" stability="0.6" weight="3.5" impact="0.6" />[/code] And the identical lines from the 1.3 weapon_data.xml
[code]<weapon_data disabled_by="disable_heavy_rifle" unit="scar_light" name="scar_light" weapon_id="12" inventory_slot="primary" gui_unit="scar_l" weight="3.5" length="80" stability="1" price="120" damage="2" player_weapon="1" grenade="0" cal="556" wizby="2">
<stats caliber="5.56 x 45 mm" rpm="750" velocity="870 m/s" firemodes="SA FA" capacity="30" info="info_scar_light" />
<bar_stats accuracy="0.6" stability="0.6" weight="3.5" impact="0.6" />

There is a fair bit of a difference in there with the weapon_data disabled_by="disable_heavy_rifle" part, something I'm guessing would be enough to cause a crash when trying to use this in [GR]-COOP.

Well, not exactly. Going through the tutorial it didn't really cross my mind that I ought to of been smart and used the most current .xml files and it does't really say anywhere in the custom content tutorials that it be best to use references from the patch bundle.

As for the weapon tutorial however...there are a few hints to older .xml files being used and displayed.

Here's one example of this.

weapon_data.xml used in the tutorial

<weapon_data unit="ak74" name="ak74" weapon_id="42" inventory_slot="primary" gui_unit="ak74" weight="3.5" length="80" stability="1" price="120" damage="2" player_weapon="1" grenade="0" cal="556" wizby="2">

<stats caliber="5.56 x 45 mm" rpm="750" velocity="870 m/s" firemodes="SA FA" capacity="60" info="info_ak74" />  

And the identical lines from the 1.3 weapon_data.xml
<weapon_data disabled_by="disable_heavy_rifle" unit="scar_light" name="scar_light" weapon_id="12" inventory_slot="primary" gui_unit="scar_l" weight="3.5" length="80" stability="1" price="120" damage="2" player_weapon="1" grenade="0" cal="556" wizby="2">

<stats caliber="5.56 x 45 mm" rpm="750" velocity="870 m/s" firemodes="SA FA" capacity="30" info="info_scar_light" />	

There is a fair bit of a difference in there with the weapon_data disabled_by="disable_heavy_rifle" part, something I'm guessing would be enough to cause a crash when trying to use this in [GR]-COOP.

this is taken from the weapon tutorial I wrote:

We are using the local folder method. Refer to previous tutorials for info about the extraction of files from *.bundle (just remember to use files from the patch.bundle when they are available)

I suggest you to unbundle all the files from the quick.bundle in a dir and then those from patch.bundle in the same dir (overwrite when asked) so you will have all files up to date ready to be copy-pasted into your mod folders.

and the tutorial was made before the beta (to be included in the beta..) so I've used the most up to date files I had

You'r very right about that mate...but as you know of me I have a clear problem with the whole "RTFM" part :P I tend to skip portions and move straight into the juicy parts of code and rig setups ;) And I have to admit it was a pretty big blunder of mine not to unbundle the patch files and have a look at them before I started.

At the same time though, it would of been a pretty quick thing for someone at GRIN who acctually knew exactly what changes had been implemented in the .xml coding to look through the tutorials, especially 3rd party ones like the weapon tutorial, and make sure all current code changes were apparent. :rolleyes:

Anyways...it's old news by now...so lets all learn by my misstake and hope everyone who wants to mod weapons for GR:AW Reads The F Manual letter by letter :rofl:

yup, but mod tutorials are like girls, they tend to retaliate if you skip foreplay ang go directly to the juicy part :rofl:

Hell mate, I'm an old married man so whenever I get a chance to go for those juicy parts I dive headfirst into it without thinking about what I'm doing :huh:

Just like putting this post in, I'm not thinking fully about what I'm doing....if the wife ever sees this it will be a long time before I'll ever be allowed near any juicy parts again :unsure:

yup, but mod tutorials are like girls, they tend to retaliate if you skip foreplay ang go directly to the juicy part :rofl:

Hell mate, I'm an old married man so whenever I get a chance to go for those juicy parts I dive headfirst into it without thinking about what I'm doing :huh:

Just like putting this post in, I'm not thinking fully about what I'm doing....if the wife ever sees this it will be a long time before I'll ever be allowed near any juicy parts again :unsure:

m4 and juicy pants... Can this post get any better? :blink:

Edited by EasyCo

Alrighty, I've redone the offending .xml files and I'm happy to say the CQBR now works in [GR]-COOP mode.

Now it's just a matter of testing how things will work if I remove the local based setup and replace it with a bundled version.

Edit: Ofcource the bundled version didn't work. :wall: The CQBR still doesn't show up in the equip screen just as last time but atleast now bringing up the commandmap won't crash the game.

Anyways, for the time being this little project has to get put on ice...atleast untill I've finished all my previous commitments, like the very last weapon for an USMC Upgrade package for VBS1. It's mostly just that model left to complete and I don't want to hold things up all to much.

Least now I have a reasonable knowledge in how to set things up for GR:AW and should be able to replicated it quickly in the future.

You knew it mate :P

But you have to admit it would be smarter from my side to finish the very last model for a package that's been in the works for a few months rather than get fully sidetracked with rebuilding an M4 from scratch for GR:AW.

Oh well, shouldn't take me all to darn long to finish that last weapon. I've got the high LOD about 70% textured now and just need to make 2 additional LOD's.

And I've got the setup for the M4 more or less finalised on paper, in the end run I ought to be having something along the lines of this.

planned.jpg

Using the Aimpoint for sight currently as I can't figure out how to get the Eotech to work fully.

I do know one way to get the Eotech working on the M4 but that has some weird drawbacks...it's simply to use the Crye's animations to drive the weapon. If I do that then I get a working scopeview but all the other animations look really odd and the aimpoint's scopeview stops working.

Only way I can think of to get both of the scopes working on the same weapon and still have proper reload (among others) animations would be to set up my own animation "set" using a combination of scar and crye anims...that's what I'm trying to accomplish right now.

With no luck I might add! :wall:

Just adding a new ghost_machine_cqbr.xml file doesn't work so it might be that the only way around this is to create a new animation folder for the cqbr and copy in all the various animations needed. If that works it will increase the download size quite a bit.

By the looks of it right now that seems to be the way I'll be heading. Never much liked the Eotech anyways...lol

It would be good if I could get it working though as then I'd have a way of using any scope with any weapon.