Adjustments to the Draw distance

Papa6

I've PM'd Rocky a link to some GRAW work I'm working on. Right now, I adjusted the draw distance to allow for longer shots in GRAW.

pluses (+)

1.) draw distance seems to have been improved as far as i can tell.

2.)Enemy have longer view distances and seem more agressive with the improved draw distance.

minuses (-)

1.) textures on far buildings at extended distances are still low LOD but I'm researching how i can change this if possible.

2.)some trees at extended distances only show the foliage or just "appear" out of nowhere. I'm looking into this. Very diligently! this is irregardless of the fact the view distance is or seems alot better

there's some more that i have forgotten for now but this is a work in progress. I'll continue to work, research and improve the minuses as well as the pluses.

Let Rocky setup the link and or test this first if he wants to and then post the link accordingly.

best regards,

Papa6

Edited by Papa6

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

' date='Sep 22 2006, 03:48 PM' post='423128']

2.)some trees at extended distances only show the foliage or just "appear" out of nowhere. I'm looking into this. Very diligently!
Have you noticed this with trees only, or other objects as well? Light bollards & trash cans, for instance.

no not at all. but on avenues the fence in zone "a" coming low from low "i" zone under bridges it just appeared. ###### me off but I'm looking into this

added: thought i can shoot from i believe "c" zone, across "i" to "a" zone and see my bullet mark in the wall in some cases and some not for some unknown reason has to do with that low LOD texture far as i can tell

But i think players should still be able to see each other at long distance so i think i can see someone in "a" from "c"

Edited by Papa6

' date='Sep 22 2006, 03:48 PM' post='423128']

2.)some trees at extended distances only show the foliage or just "appear" out of nowhere. I'm looking into this. Very diligently!
Have you noticed this with trees only, or other objects as well? Light bollards & trash cans, for instance.

no not at all. but on avenues the fence in zone "a" coming low from low "i" zone under bridges it just appeared. ###### me off but I'm looking into this

added: thought i can shoot from i believe "c" zone, across "i" to "a" zone and see my bullet mark in the wall in some cases and some not for some unknown reason has to do with that low LOD texture far as i can tell

But i think players should still be able to see each other at long distance so i think i can see someone in "a" from "c"

well there are many forces at play when it comes to lodding and drawdistance

when upping the draw distance like you have you will also ofcourse notice the things that lods out on distance, these probably load out thru the "mass unit system" with a little search you should be able locate this xml, its called something something mass unit something something so try a search for "mass_unit" (im at home and thus dont have the proper files here) and in there it should be quite self explanatory what to change to also change the "lod out" distance on objects, there are probably 4 or five categories, ranging from large to tiny objects that you should change in order for this to make it work properly. It could help you out, give it a try.

' date='Sep 22 2006, 10:10 PM' post='423188']

Hopefully some of you will download it and try and and let Papa6 know what you think.
Does anyone know if this will conflict with AC?

Of course it will, unless someone set's this up on the server.

This is a SP mod.

In the hope that Papa gets time to continue work on this project, I created a Download Entry for it. Let's hope it evolves past the BETA stage :thumbsup:

Hopefully some of you will download it and try and and let Papa6 know what you think.

when i click download i get

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /files/ on this server.

Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora) Server at www.ghostrecon.net Port 80

there's some more that i have forgotten for now but this is a work in progress. I'll continue to work, research and improve the minuses as well as the pluses.

I was wondering if there is a chance you might offer this in a lo-fi version, i.e. just the edited .XMLs, etc.?

In the hope that Papa gets time to continue work on this project, I created a Download Entry for it. Let's hope it evolves past the BETA stage :thumbsup:

when i click download i get

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /files/ on this server.

Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora) Server at www.ghostrecon.net Port 80

Sorry about that, I filled in all the mod details apart from one thing - the download location.

:stupid:

My mutlitasking skills are going down the tube!

It gives you a files don't match error " anti-cheat yes. but all you have to do is remove the folder from your local folder. to play normal games that is. anti cheat catches this.

but just having the folder in local will cause this since maybe the server doesn't have the mod in it's local folder

Edited by Papa6