Ghost Recon.net Forums

Im shelving my copy. Just coped another damn error today during the campaign:

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.30

data\lib\units\extensions\hudtacticalmap.dsf(-1): cant find member: _team in type <void>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\units\extensions\hudtacticalmap.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\extensions\hud.dsf(0)

Everytime i play something goes wrong.. so i cbf anymore gettin halfway through a mission then it dies. Hate to say this, but my GRAW is gettin shelved. Ive played it since day 1, and now im just sick of this. Sorry to GRIN, its not u its me (lol). I loved the single player campaign, and i did enjoy domination! Good game GRIN, hopefully once another patch is out or something ill give it another shot.

Cyas

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure some one at Grin can help with that Error.

Willie a little taken back by that comment, surely a game should not be a short term fix, I would like to see a game last at least a couple years, with added support and mode support.

Or have we been spoiled in the past and short lived games is where we are at, I thought that was the console side of gameing.??

Willie a little taken back by that comment, surely a game should not be a short term fix, I would like to see a game last at least a couple years, with added support and mode support.

Or have we been spoiled in the past and short lived games is where we are at, I thought that was the console side of gameing.??

Thats were PC gaming is heading m8 :o

Today that is the state of all gaming, with some minor exceptions. All the games that come out have a splashy opening and fade in about 3 months, maily because they are all graphics and no gameplay. I don't put GRAW in that category because I find plenty of gameplay in SP and MP. One example of that are the threads at Ubi where people ask for tips on a mission, if you read all the threads, you see lots of variations on how to do a mission, I like to try all the different ideas that people post.

But, mainstream games are getting more linear, simpler, single character, smaller squads, more scripting, more graphics, hollwood movie style, they're just about 2 steps away from a rail shooter.

The huge graphics are killing online play because of system requirements and the drain on your connection. It is worse for coop because of the system demands for the AI and vehicles. If the system demands for games keep going, I do not see how coop is going to be viable except for a very small minority.

a bit of both really, but it really depends on the gamer, the general game dont play the same game for 5 years, he usually(for sp games) plays his 10-15 hours of designated out-of-the-box hours and are quite happy with that for the money he spent(you have to take into consideration what else you could buy for 30-40 bucks which is frankly not very much in terms of entertainment). The Gr crowd (and hardcore sim crowds in general) are a bit special when it comes to the gaming industry as they tend to choose something and stick with it, whereas the average gamer goes through a couple of games a month.

Ofcourse it would be really great if people still played GRAW in five years and still liked it, and I wouldnt say that GRAW is to be considered a "short term fix production", however with the current state of the industry I wouldnt consider playing anything for 3-4 months to be a short fix, I would call that a pretty good run.

Sure there are games out there that people play for years and years on end, but they are far apart and often in the end supported by only a rather small and extremley dedicated group(by small im meaning a couple of thousand, compared to the million or so that originally bought the game). These are however often designed as PURE multiplayer games, such as Battlefield(that has no SP game at all worth mentioning, or World of warcraft which is a MMO that actually pay every month for and can thus basicly be supported by developers almost indefinatly until people stop playing it). AND then there are the "hardcore" gamers, like flight sim guys, GR guys etc etc, that found their first love many years ago and dont want to let go, which is ofcourse very understandable, nothing like a first love!

Im confident that people will continue to play GRAW for a long time, since I really think it is a great game, with or without its flaws, however im not gonna be disapointed if somehas has played the game for several months and then put it on the shelf, I would say the game has done its job very well for that person and money well spent(40-50 bucks gives you 4 theatre tickets? one nicer restaurant meal for 2 people?at most(ofcourse translated into swedish currency so the pricing can ofcourse be a bit diffrent for you other people ;) Im glad to have helped enterain someone for about 120 days on and off.

However im certainly not quitting and neither is grin, and ofcourse im delighted for everyday that goes by and people still play!

I just wanted to thank the guy for playing the game, I was glad he enjoyed it and I hope that in the future we´ll be able to bring more gaming fun to him! :)

Today that is the state of all gaming, with some minor exceptions. All the games that come out have a splashy opening and fade in about 3 months, maily because they are all graphics and no gameplay. I don't put GRAW in that category because I find plenty of gameplay in SP and MP. One example of that are the threads at Ubi where people ask for tips on a mission, if you read all the threads, you see lots of variations on how to do a mission, I like to try all the different ideas that people post.

But, mainstream games are getting more linear, simpler, single character, smaller squads, more scripting, more graphics, hollwood movie style, they're just about 2 steps away from a rail shooter.

The huge graphics are killing online play because of system requirements and the drain on your connection. It is worse for coop because of the system demands for the AI and vehicles. If the system demands for games keep going, I do not see how coop is going to be viable except for a very small minority.

:thumbsup: Well said

However im certainly not quitting and neither is grin,

You'd better not.

I'm still waiting on my binoculars.

And a sling for the rifle would be nice too.

:D

Indeed a binocular would be nice. It would also make me use iron sights more as the scope doubles as binocular. Actually I get the IR awkward feel of looking at friendlies through scope instead of using the binoculars. I guess it is a sign of GRAW having a realistic feel.

...(you have to take into consideration what else you could buy for 30-40 bucks which is frankly not very much in terms of entertainment)....I would say the game has done its job very well for that person and money well spent(40-50 bucks gives you 4 theatre tickets? one nicer restaurant meal for 2 people?at most(ofcourse translated into swedish currency so the pricing can ofcourse be a bit diffrent for you other people ;)
Easy for you to say considering you Frenchies get free heroin from the goverment.
' date='Sep 22 2006, 03:43 PM' post='423043']

...(you have to take into consideration what else you could buy for 30-40 bucks which is frankly not very much in terms of entertainment)....I would say the game has done its job very well for that person and money well spent(40-50 bucks gives you 4 theatre tickets? one nicer restaurant meal for 2 people?at most(ofcourse translated into swedish currency so the pricing can ofcourse be a bit diffrent for you other people ;)
Easy for you to say considering you Frenchies get free heroin from the goverment.

:blink:

UBi = Owner: French peeps = wine drinkers 24/7

Grin = workers: swedes = very high alcohol taxes, other drugs illegal.

I'm pretty sure I've made certain people mad at me for saying it elsewhere; but game Publishers regard games as "products" and longevity is not something desired or sought in most contemporary product markets. It's a sad state of affairs for our favorite game genre as our desires for depth of design and play, are at odds with and almost complete opposites of what Publishers want to bring to market; flashy 'features & benefits' they can easily spin and market.

Planned obsolescence is no joke, it's a fact of business and has a lot to do with why in the year 2006, with unsurpassed engineering, synthetics, metallurgy, machine tools, manufacturing technology -- where 'life time' products a very real and reasonable possibility, but instead we have real world marketplace that's littered with 3,000 brands of junk that aren't as well made as products even over a century old in some cases, and will be land fill inside a year...

It should be pretty telling that "B" game Developers (not referring to GRIN here) can snap up game publishing deals with a really crappy game, and the same Publishers will often put their best talent on "B" titles that can be cranked out in a matter of weeks to capitalize on a movie, fad, or market report... Meanwhile, a company like BI that's been working on a game like Armed Assault for years can't even get a Publisher interested in the U.S. or U.K..

The game industry is not the cool DIY venue it once was; it's big business and big money, and with business practices even uglier then you've seen from some of the largest software Developers. Would Ubisoft's Captains lie, scheme. and even steal to abscond a few billion in earnings? There are more then a few elected officials, and even 'respected and admired' business men and women that have done far worse for far less...

Rant off: GRAW is a pretty amazing game all things considered. If Nemon, GRIN, or some other motivated and talented Programer ever releases a DXE Decompiler; GRAW should be able to give most Fans of the genre an alwful lot of what they've been looking and waiting for, and for a very long time... Maybe we should all chip in and throw some money in Nemon's direction, and "get da job done"... I know I'd sure be willing to pay the price of an expansion to see the mod capability of [GR] on GRAW (or more)...

sadeyes.gif

Edited by Waika
' date='Sep 22 2006, 03:58 PM' post='423046']

:blink:

UBi = Owner: French peeps = wine drinkers 24/7

Grin = workers: swedes = very high alcohol taxes, other drugs illegal.

LOL I know. It's kinda an inside joke because no one seems to be able to get Grin's nationality straight!

Ahh I zee! And I who made such a big number out of understanding Rabbi's dane joke. Its ok, being off key is also an art.

a bit of both really, but it really depends on the gamer, the general game dont play the same game for 5 years, he usually(for sp games) plays his 10-15 hours of designated out-of-the-box hours and are quite happy with that for the money he spent(you have to take into consideration what else you could buy for 30-40 bucks which is frankly not very much in terms of entertainment). The Gr crowd (and hardcore sim crowds in general) are a bit special when it comes to the gaming industry as they tend to choose something and stick with it, whereas the average gamer goes through a couple of games a month.

Ofcourse it would be really great if people still played GRAW in five years and still liked it, and I wouldnt say that GRAW is to be considered a "short term fix production", however with the current state of the industry I wouldnt consider playing anything for 3-4 months to be a short fix, I would call that a pretty good run.

Sure there are games out there that people play for years and years on end, but they are far apart and often in the end supported by only a rather small and extremley dedicated group(by small im meaning a couple of thousand, compared to the million or so that originally bought the game). These are however often designed as PURE multiplayer games, such as Battlefield(that has no SP game at all worth mentioning, or World of warcraft which is a MMO that actually pay every month for and can thus basicly be supported by developers almost indefinatly until people stop playing it). AND then there are the "hardcore" gamers, like flight sim guys, GR guys etc etc, that found their first love many years ago and dont want to let go, which is ofcourse very understandable, nothing like a first love!

Im confident that people will continue to play GRAW for a long time, since I really think it is a great game, with or without its flaws, however im not gonna be disapointed if somehas has played the game for several months and then put it on the shelf, I would say the game has done its job very well for that person and money well spent(40-50 bucks gives you 4 theatre tickets? one nicer restaurant meal for 2 people?at most(ofcourse translated into swedish currency so the pricing can ofcourse be a bit diffrent for you other people ;) Im glad to have helped enterain someone for about 120 days on and off.

However im certainly not quitting and neither is grin, and ofcourse im delighted for everyday that goes by and people still play!

I just wanted to thank the guy for playing the game, I was glad he enjoyed it and I hope that in the future we´ll be able to bring more gaming fun to him! :)

Willie thank you for that reply.

If I may say, I buy GRAW lets say it sells 1million copies at launch

The for instance part:

It turns out to be a good game in sp and mp more people buy it, word gets out through various chanels its a good game, other people are persuaded to buy through the grapvine.

The Seller sees this and decides to do an expansion, to increase the gameing experience for the player and now the clanes, teams, and ladders.

More and more people uy it long after release, the sales are not slowing too much, another expansion, mod tools,

This time period is now in its 3rd year, during this time more and more people are still buying the game because its good and the word is still being passed on from member to member.

Cut a long story short.

A game comes out and 3 or 4 or 5 years later is still being sold.

Put this scene against the one the industry is in at the moment release a game that is designed to last a few months and no more.

My point is the game that lasts for more than a year has to make more money than the six month wonder you seem to think tha games are all about now.

I dont often disagree with you guys much but on this one I think you are dead wrong.

If you make a game that is good, and is accepted as a good all round game it will make far more money than any six month wonder.

I would really dispare if I thought I would not see a game that would not last at least a couple of years, with good support, an active community and expansions from the developer.

The other point here is not just the cost of the game, I know many people here that spent a fortune upgrading me included.

If indeed this is the way the industry is thinking and going forums like this will decline and people will leave gameing altogether.

Gonna chime in on this one.

I am a big fan of other games such as MS Flight Sim, BF2, CoD2 that I condsider favorites. They too have those close knit comunities that mod the heck outta them. Same thing will happen here, your general gamers will move on, the hardcore GRAW gamers will stay and mod the heck out of it too.

And there are always the trolls and turds in every game community, but they too move on.

GRAW has plenty left in it, especially with a great Dev group like GRIN that IS really involved with the community and especially the modders.

as I said, I dont consider GRAW to be a quick fix hack job of any kind meant to last only for a bit, my point is merely that there are so many good games out there, that if someone thinks my(im using the term "my" very loosely ofcourse) to be worth 3 or 4 months of their lives, I feel that we have succeeded in one way or another.Most games gets a few days or a couple of weeks at most.

I wasnt talking about my or grins or anybody elses outlook on how to make games, or even why, we put put in over 1 percent of our earthly lives on this game, 1% filled with hard work, late nights and really really unhealthy food(which might actually turn that up 2% of our earhtly lives..ahem..) and if someone says after 4 months "hey ive played this for 100+ hours or however much it is, im not one to say "wait a second, why didnt you play it longer?" ill say, "thank you for enjoying our hard work, we appreciate that you put that much time into playing it".

*edit* in retrospect I realise that I sound a lot like David Brent from "The Office"(OTF, original the office ofcourse not the american version) in this paragraph *edit*

If someone enjoys it even more and wants to keep on playing it or even mod it to their own and others delight, then ofcourse we are even happier, but im just personally happy if anyone enjoys it at all.that means I didnt waste my year where I could have been doing other stuff than sleeping under a desk or eating at macdonalds at 4 a clock in the morning.

I was merely expressing my personal joy over the fact that someone liked the game.

Outlooks and philosphy on game designs hows and whys and the state of the industry is a story for a diffrent thread;)

See thet thing is, consoles are getting the most support from the game industry right now. PC gaming has been on a decline for a while now. With consoles offering a fixed set of hardware and software to program for, can you really blame the game companies though? Instead of worrying how this will perform on a ATI or nvidia card and a AMD or intel processor they can just code it for 1 set of hardware and be done with it. If another console is using different types of hardware it is still fixed for that system as well so porting the game from one to another isn't as much of a pain either.

Anyway, I like GRAW for the most part but it has still been a let down for me. It wasn't what I wanted in a Ghost Recon game. Its fun to play every now and then but I don't see it having half the life as GR1 did.

Edited by ]RK[Hippie