Multicam and ACU

Whistle

I've been wondering about this for a while. Ive heard things about the MC pattern being developed for the ACU program contradicting stuff about it being intended for the FFW program. Which one is it?

Also I recently got a set the field uniform. it works better than woodland from the tests ive done with it and it works as good as marpat depending on the exact terrain. the one major bonus about it seems to be the fact it is universal, as far as I can see, it actually blends in quite well with tall dried grass and sand, atleast compared to the woodland and marpat stuff i was comparing it too(mine doesnt have very much of the light tan/desertpink or whatever u want to call it, it has alot of the light green OD though). If you guys want pictures I could try and get some this weekend.

also it seems the ACU blends in only in certain sandy environments or in urban areas, anyone have actual first hand experience with the ACU? doesnt seem so universal to me. the only time ive seen it in person was when a recruiter came to my school and that uniform looked alot greener than what Ive seen elsewhere.

Edited by Whistle

Just bear in mind, that if you're a civilian, you're not getting the same thing the military uses. Examine a pair of civvie BDU's next to military BDU's, and you'll see quite the difference.

Agreed. I can personally verify that the only way you are getting official Marpats is if you have a military id, are the immediate family member of someone with a military id, or you have a buddy hooking you up. The Marines have a patent on the Marpat design so knowone else is aloud to duplicate it perfectly.

We had some Candidates at OCS try and bring extra gear that were bought at surplus stores and whatnot to compliment the gear we were issued. The problem is that the knockoffs fade quickly and differently than the official cammies so they were pretty easy to point out.

Well I mostly have experience with the civi version of the ACU and I can say that at least for the woods in Minnesota they are much to light. From what I have heard the military version blends in much better in the woods, but so far I have noticed a marked advantage for the old woodland pattern here over the ACUs.

Clark

the marpat stuff was a knock off but it still worked good, I know a guy with authentic stuff.

also this is the first ive heard about reflective dye, any more info about that? im guessing it just reflects ambient light/colors so the surrounding terrain has an impact on it?

yep, I didnt get to find out more about it but it was a genuine camelbak made for military. Had a pretty big price tag over other standard acu camo patterns of the same model.