Cheapest Operational graphics card for GRAW?

joejoe1196

I've been wanting to buy it for PC but I don't feel like throwing down $200 for a graphics card at the moment. I currently have a GeForce FX5200 and I don't think that will cut it. Any suggestions on a really cheap card that will play GRAW descently?

I'd go with a X850 256mb or a 6800 256mb. And make sure to have 1mb of mem.

I've been wanting to buy it for PC but I don't feel like throwing down $200 for a graphics card at the moment. I currently have a GeForce FX5200 and I don't think that will cut it. Any suggestions on a really cheap card that will play GRAW descently?

I'd go with a X850 256mb or a 6800 256mb. And make sure to have 1mb of mem.

Before getting my x1800xt 512MB I had an x800xt 256MB and it played graw fine at 1024x768 and medium to high quality settings.

And I hope you meant 1GB of memory :)

Considering that you have that FX5200,I will ass-u-me that you have an AGP motherboard. I will recommend 2 vid cards that are good enough to play/experience GR:AW satisfactorily. Why buy an "almost good enough card" for this game only to not be happy later.

1.) This is a "Built by ATI" X850 PRO that will work well enough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102606

2.) This is an nVidia 6800GS that runs somewhat slower then the the ATI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814143045

Please note that both these cards are 12 pipes,and both have 256 bit memory access.and have a full 256 mb of memory. Be sure when you consider a video card that clock speeds only tell half the story. The nuimber of pixel pipes and the width of the memory access are equally important.

Edited by Stealth-IRA

thanks all, i've been looking into the 6600's and they seem pretty decent. and yes i have 8x AGP not PCI-E

That will really wet your appetite and let you play the game quite well. However, in a few weeks/months, you will want more. The 6800XT is at a moderate price and sure to go down. Keep your eye open for a good deal in the near future. And (no I am not paid by "Newegg") look on that website for some great deals! :D

My ATI X800XT works beautifully.... I also have 1.5 gigs of RAM as well...

I have to admit, that I have 2 gig of RAM and that may help my 6800XT! :hmm:

yes it does. not all graphics are done by the graphic card, the threatmodel (3d environment) is made by the processor with standard ram, and it's filled in and given special effects by the graphic card.

When I only had 1 gig ram I got the unable to render 3d buffer failed bug, which went away after installing the second gig.... after that i bought a Geforce 7600GT and now I'm really fine (after pulling my old soundblaster live over to my new pc) :D

I have to admit, that I have 2 gig of RAM and that may help my 6800XT!
I may actually experiment with going from 2GB of RAM back to 1GB with GRAW. With 1GB (2x512MB sticks) I can use a Command Rate of 1T (memory setting in bios) but with 2x1GB sticks, a 1T command rate is impossible.

A command rate of 1T is very beneficial to Athlon 64 systems and with Memtest86, I've confirmed that memory throughput goes way up with "1T". At some point I'll do some benching in GRAW with ATI Tray Tools and see what performs better, 1GB RAM with 1T or 2GB RAM with 2T. </geek rant>