Converting old maps to Seige!

}PW{ Postal

OK,

TomAnger has been trying to convert his old maps into Seige but something weird has been happening. You can play the first round ok and the map loads again but this time after only a few seconds it crashes with windows error "Graw EXE has encountered a problem" TomAnger and i have been trying to figure this problem out. He sent me the map and i tried it with the same result.

Ive looked through the files and everything looks good. Also let me add that this is happening to all the maps he has converted.

Has anyone else tried to do this? If so what was the outcome?

Our best geuss at this point is that it is a bug with converting old maps to Seige. If we can prove this we will take this problem to Grins door...hehe J/K We would like to try to confirm this before we tell Grin that there is a problem converting maps to Seige.

Thanks,

Postal

hi Postal. i have been converting my HH maps so far i done 4 but only done them in draft not had a online test yet,

i have run round them on me own all ok so need me buddies from wag to test.

it is the weekend booze time me thinks.

have found some things missing in the props like fire and smoke and more.

as soon as i get a test done will post if all ok or not.

You don't have to test them online. Instead of choosing online servers, choose to host LAN on yor own. Choose your siege map and have it set to either play 2 or more rounds or have it switch maps to other custom siege maps. Weird, almost like V3 has something that the editor doesn't like. I can convert any custom map to seige, but so far I am batting 1000 with this as an issue if the map was pre-v3

My Embassy map (AW01 Urban Resistance seems to have converted ok and I will continue testing. The other 3 (AW02, 03, 04) still have the issue with crashing. That's not to say that AW01 won't crash another time say down the lineup in a serverlist.

It is my guess at this time that we may be dealing with a memory limitation within the game. I suggest any other mappers converting to post their results here with input on if they converted their maps successfully.

Edited by Tom_Anger

hi Postal. i have been converting my HH maps so far i done 4 but only done them in draft not had a online test yet,

i have run round them on me own all ok so need me buddies from wag to test.

it is the weekend booze time me thinks.

have found some things missing in the props like fire and smoke and more.

as soon as i get a test done will post if all ok or not.

Ty very much. We need all the help we can get to figure this out...lol

My Embassy map (AW01 Urban Resistance seems to have converted ok and I will continue testing. The other 3 (AW02, 03, 04) still have the issue with crashing. That's not to say that AW01 won't crash another time say down the lineup in a serverlist.

It is my guess at this time that we may be dealing with a memory limitation within the game. I suggest any other mappers converting to post their results here with input on if they converted their maps successfully.

Hhhmm...weird indeed!! Well, maybe we can battle test AW01 sometime to see if we can make it crash. Hopefully it dont but ya know..hehe

Wonder why that one didnt and the rest do......off to do some more research...hehe

It is not he gametype siege that is the issue. I confirmed the same thing happens to all the gametypes at this point.

Another thing to mention is that I know before V3 these maps did not crash out on multiple rounds.

Why would all of a sudden some maps work and not others? Some of the maps are PRE Version 3 so it isn't a result of filing or exporting in the map editor. It is the engine itself. It has nothing to do with the fact the the maps have the EFFECT_FIRE prop because AW01 has them and it does not crash.

We need the mapping community to help out on this so lets see what works folks. I do recall some map makers in the past versions complaining that the maps would cause a server to crash and version 1.2 supposedly took care of that. Did V3 bring back the issue? I am starting to think so. Lets think - how many custom HH and Siege maps do we see out there on servers, then think - how many will crash when played back to back. We need this info.

I truly believe we are dealing with a problem with V3. Playing these maps 1 side only to find that it crashes on further rounds is unacceptable. I put alot of time into these maps.

Edited by Tom_Anger

UPDATE: I tested this on CORE's server as they ran the Fantastic 4 maps and we never crashed so I threw up POW CAMP SIEGE on SHADOW COMPANY ELITE'S dedi and it ran perfect. So this may be an issue for LAN mode testing with 1 player. Looks like I will update all links with the new Siege and new Ghost Town versions soon.