Ghost Recon.net Forums

Which is your favorite in the series? And why?

Which is your favorite in the series? And why?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[GR] and some of graws features would be nice.

Prozac,

This is not intended to be sarcastic... I promise... but I'd like to hear what GRAW features you'd like to see brought forward... I am genuinely interested.

-jk

Callsign 3Point

Prozac,

This is not intended to be sarcastic... I promise... but I'd like to hear what GRAW features you'd like to see brought forward... I am genuinely interested.

-jk

Callsign 3Point

Hang on for a few days on that. ;)

I have GR for both the PC and the Xbox.

For the Xbox I have to say [GR]/DS/IT. The linear maps of GR2 killed the game for me. I much prefer the open maps of [GR]. Also, the lack of squad commands killed GR2 for me personally. Downgrading to one four man squad from two squads was also a turn for the worse. There are some other points, but those were the major issues that really killed the game for me.

For the PC I finally got to try the demo for GRAW and although it is a good game, it felt a lot like Sniper Elite. It seems as though you cannot simply plan the mission in any way you want, but that you have to acheive objectives in a specific order (is this true for the actual game?). Also, I prefer to have more freedom of movement and suffer the consequences for it. In [GR] you can shoot/launch/throw grenades etc.... while in full sprint, and if the grenade drops in a bad spot, opps! It seems as though you CANNOT shoot in full sprint in GRAW. Is this also the same in the full version?

There are a number of other issues, but they have already been mentioned by others, so I'm not going to make a longwinded post simply repeating what others have already said.

For the PC I finally got to try the demo for GRAW and although it is a good game, it felt a lot like Sniper Elite. It seems as though you cannot simply plan the mission in any way you want, but that you have to acheive objectives in a specific order (is this true for the actual game?). Also, I prefer to have more freedom of movement and suffer the consequences for it. In [GR] you can shoot/launch/throw grenades etc.... while in full sprint, and if the grenade drops in a bad spot, opps! It seems as though you CANNOT shoot in full sprint in GRAW. Is this also the same in the full version?

That's another good point. There is a psychological effect to run toward someone firing your rifle, even if your accuracy is going to suck. Sometimes you do it for cover fire, other times you do it from desperation. But I think you're right, I don't believe GRAW would let you fire while running. While that's certainly not a smart tactical move, it should at least be there as an option for the player (with appropriate loss of accuracy for the effort, of course).

These are all great thoughts, everyone. I'm impressed at how each of us are coming up with things the others have forgotten. Keep it up!

-jk

Callsign 3Point

Prozac,

-jk

Callsign 3Point

Hang on for a few days on that. ;)

Should we ask why? :D:P0:)

i voted graw pc

it has improvements and dissapointments when you set [GR] and graw side by side, but [GR] for me has been more a single player game, my mistake maybe because i was not much of an online gamer except for games with friends

graw has pulled me in more as in playing online

[GR] had and has got great mods and maps, but graw will pick up soon and feels great,

[GR] felt a little static in play, RvS was like playing on a rubber dingy but graw has got the motion just right for me

i lost myself in [GR], and even more in graw

[GR] did have the LIMP, which should be in graw but did not make it ?? but then again, [GR] had the nade problem, you could not throw a nade over the heads of team mates,

that was a serious error in my eyes

both are on the HD and playable, but i find myself playing graw more and more

when scripting is more refined i think graw mods will get to the same level as [GR] coop mods

we will have to see but for now even with the hickups that graw has it is graw for me

I'm a bit of a lurker here spending more time being entertained than entertaining, but this poll was as thought provoking a thread as I've seen in a while.

I voted [GR] for PC. I only play on a PC and have never had the console experience. Actually, Ghost Recon was the second game I ever played. Rainbow Six being the first. I played [GR] on a trailing edge laptop at low and medium settings with a pretty small screen. Still, I was completely sucked in by the story, game play and the fact that I got whacked in the first two minutes of mission one about 15 times before I started seeing the bad guys before they saw me. :wall:

Being injured and having to adjust for it was awesome. Even cooler was having someone in the fireteam injured and having to slow down and wait while they limped up to my position, the whole time waiting for them to get picked off. How many times did I say, "Come on, come on, get here!" out loud as if they could actually hear me. I miss the injury thing in GRAW.

I miss having my world spin and hearing/almost feeling the thump of a 7.62 hitting my character. And I agree with whoever mentioned clearing a house and the feeling of dread getting ready to go through the door. Although I've been almost there going into some of the warehouses in Mexico City, it's not quite the same.

I have been surprised to get shot at by someone that I thought was dead and that's one thing I love about GRAW. Turn off the little red diamond things and life is very different.

And the crosscom is, for me, the coolest thing around. It's being able to see through your teammates eyes without taking over their body. For me GRAW is a better game because you don't get to switch around at will. When you're dead, you're dead and it's Game Over. But it's so frustrating to be so far away from the last save point and having such a linear game means I cover the same ground over and over again. So the save point thing is really a drag when combined with the mostly linear game play. I do miss being able to wander all over the map (sort of like wandering around in this post, sorry).

And the mods. The [GR] modding community is like having a few dozen game designers as best friends. They just keep cranking out amazing things. Frostbite, No Easy Day, Year of The Monkey, 12 Weeks, 8 Days Reloaded (just out), no list does justice to the amazing mods and modders. Will there ever be that kind of proliferation for GRAW? I worry.

I'm on a leading edge machine now and the GRAW graphics are not a problem at high settings (I don't give a hoot about anti-aliasing: I've got more things to worry about than how the power lines appear) and I love the way it looks. But I am also playing [GR] on the same machine and "oh my gawd" is that how it's supposed to look? Awesome. I will play [GR] indefinitely; different kit, different skins, different weapon mods all make the game new. Being my age doesn't hurt either with the memory starting to go and all. :o

Anyway. Perhaps my longest post ever to say I voted [GR] because it really is a much better game and for more reasons than I mentioned. But, there is some good stuff in GRAW that, standing alone and not compared to [GR], is a fun game itself.

I'm a bit of a lurker here spending more time being entertained than entertaining, but this poll was as thought provoking a thread as I've seen in a while.

I voted [GR] for PC. I only play on a PC and have never had the console experience. Actually, Ghost Recon was the second game I ever played. Rainbow Six being the first. I played [GR] on a trailing edge laptop at low and medium settings with a pretty small screen. Still, I was completely sucked in by the story, game play and the fact that I got whacked in the first two minutes of mission one about 15 times before I started seeing the bad guys before they saw me. :wall:

Being injured and having to adjust for it was awesome. Even cooler was having someone in the fireteam injured and having to slow down and wait while they limped up to my position, the whole time waiting for them to get picked off. How many times did I say, "Come on, come on, get here!" out loud as if they could actually hear me. I miss the injury thing in GRAW.

I miss having my world spin and hearing/almost feeling the thump of a 7.62 hitting my character. And I agree with whoever mentioned clearing a house and the feeling of dread getting ready to go through the door. Although I've been almost there going into some of the warehouses in Mexico City, it's not quite the same.

I have been surprised to get shot at by someone that I thought was dead and that's one thing I love about GRAW. Turn off the little red diamond things and life is very different.

And the crosscom is, for me, the coolest thing around. It's being able to see through your teammates eyes without taking over their body. For me GRAW is a better game because you don't get to switch around at will. When you're dead, you're dead and it's Game Over. But it's so frustrating to be so far away from the last save point and having such a linear game means I cover the same ground over and over again. So the save point thing is really a drag when combined with the mostly linear game play. I do miss being able to wander all over the map (sort of like wandering around in this post, sorry).

And the mods. The [GR] modding community is like having a few dozen game designers as best friends. They just keep cranking out amazing things. Frostbite, No Easy Day, Year of The Monkey, 12 Weeks, 8 Days Reloaded (just out), no list does justice to the amazing mods and modders. Will there ever be that kind of proliferation for GRAW? I worry.

I'm on a leading edge machine now and the GRAW graphics are not a problem at high settings (I don't give a hoot about anti-aliasing: I've got more things to worry about than how the power lines appear) and I love the way it looks. But I am also playing [GR] on the same machine and "oh my gawd" is that how it's supposed to look? Awesome. I will play [GR] indefinitely; different kit, different skins, different weapon mods all make the game new. Being my age doesn't hurt either with the memory starting to go and all. :o

Anyway. Perhaps my longest post ever to say I voted [GR] because it really is a much better game and for more reasons than I mentioned. But, there is some good stuff in GRAW that, standing alone and not compared to [GR], is a fun game itself.

Hey SAWmonger.... lots of good points there. I forgot about getting killed in [GR] and having your camera POV spin around and then you hit the ground... that was something.

I mentioned the soul-hopping and I forgot to mention one thing - if I'm playing in SP Mission mode, I enjoy that aspect because I get to play slightly different characters, with different weapons, etc. But when I, as "my" character dies, I don't switch into another body and keep going. I treat that as a stop-point and re-load from saved game. In fact, this might sound dumb but I never even thought of using the soul-hopping to keep a mission going after my death. Silly, huh?

GRAW definitely hammered my machine hard from a hardware needs perspective. I have a Core2Duo 6400 running at 2.50 ghz, 2 gb ram and an Nvidia 7600GT and I couldn't play on "full features" graphically and have it smooth. But boy, does that hardware make [GR] sing! :)

-jk

Callsign 3Point

I mentioned the soul-hopping and I forgot to mention one thing - if I'm playing in SP Mission mode, I enjoy that aspect because I get to play slightly different characters, with different weapons, etc. But when I, as "my" character dies, I don't switch into another body and keep going. I treat that as a stop-point and re-load from saved game. In fact, this might sound dumb but I never even thought of using the soul-hopping to keep a mission going after my death. Silly, huh?

Nice kretzj! I confess to soul hopping as survival on occasion. But mostly I, too, would go back to the last save if "I" got whacked.

One more thing I liked about [GR]: wise cracking teammates. I loved that they are cocky wisemouths. "Now I know how a nail feels" "Order up some coffins" "Stick a fork in 'em" All classic lines. :thumbsup:

My teammates in GRAW are a little too "all business." --

Nice kretzj! I confess to soul hopping as survival on occasion. But mostly I, too, would go back to the last save if "I" got whacked.

One more thing I liked about [GR]: wise cracking teammates. I loved that they are cocky wisemouths. "Now I know how a nail feels" "Order up some coffins" "Stick a fork in 'em" All classic lines. :thumbsup:

My teammates in GRAW are a little too "all business." --

Yeah.. one of the female characters always said something about being cold at the start of one particular mission... first time I heard that I laughed out loud.

I voted for GR SS as the online gaming was alot better. You could have your own clan on the game without having to register to different websites. You could arrange a match when you signed in. I love GRAW 360 but it lost alot by losing the abbility to have clans and matches as an online option. Looking forward to a new GR.

I have voted for GRAW pc because I am mainly a SP gamer and that aspect is better in GRAW imho. The superb AI, quick command system for friendlies, enemies that can be suppressed and are self preserving, weapon customization etc. makes GRAW SP a much more tactical experience. I also love the FPWV and physics.

But it must be said that GR was a more complete game which appealed to a wider section of gamers ( SP, Co-op, MP ). Plus, the innumerable SP mods and firefight mode gave the game more variety.

Edited by buddhiraja73

:nono:yep, huge mistake.

briliiant coop and team v team game - still going strong after 5 years.

where will GRAW be in 5 years?

I dont think that is really a fair assesment of GRAW personally. You have to take into account when GRAW came out. It was pretty much a launch game with a new system (360). The devs. managed to get a solid grasp on the system and delivered a beautiful and very solid game. It may not have a billion maps or equal graphical power from SP to MP but given the time window in which it was made and delivered i consider graw quite an achievement. Given the familiarity the devs. now have with the console i expect something to eclipse everything and anything graw and rainbow six vegas has/will deliver. JUST ONE THING NO HEALTH REGENERATION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....Oh and please dont go the EA route of ridiculous "premium" content :no: 160 pts for tutorial videos ugh :wall: ..

In case you meant graw PC then ooops sorry for the misunderstanding.

but [GR] for me has been more a single player game, my mistake maybe

yep, huge mistake.

briliiant coop and team v team game - still going strong after 5 years.

where will GRAW be in 5 years?

who knows where graw will be in 5 years

all i say is that when playing [GR] i did not enjoy TvT much so i never explored it to the fullest

i did more coop and SP in [GR]

graw has made TvT enjoyable, not saying [GR] is not, just saying graw triggered something that [GR] did not

but that is purely a personal thing and maybe a time related orientation thing

• 2 weeks later...

GRPC by a long shot. GR2 XBOX was mildly entertaining as was GRAW but in the end no other game has ever held a candle to GRPC. I've never played a game for so long so much as that.

They need to regress with the next one. Keep the spiffy visuals, whatever...just bring the gameplay back to the original standard.

Well the debate/discussion will seem to go on and on, but it is fun to discuss.

I'm a biased fan of "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon" for the PC (and also not a bad port to XBOX imo) so don't trust my opinion. :P

My fav is the PC ([GR]) Ghost Recon, of COURSE it is!!!! How can you not love that damned game??? I mean, graphics are aging well, but oh, the versatilty man! You can mod that sucker forever and get hundreds of different things. Plus it is from a "modern" military POV not futuristic warrior stuff (like BF2142 and of course GR:AW) The best modders out there (Baja Bravo, SixPence, et al) have put out AWESOME skins over the years and you get immersed into the game more so than way others! The replay value and fun never seem to cease! The original gameplay is solid of course with tons of game features and modes to play, online or not! The first Ghost Recon was the first and the BEST! :D

I had to try out Ghost Recon 2 on the xbox too and I had to say, it was a well thought out game but ended up being too "run and gun" and too damn hard to boot! You have to save ALOT on that game! Graphics were a step up and the environments were beautiful but the game is just "so-so". I fire it up on the box every now and then but this is not the best!

Ghost Recon on X-box was great too just like the PC version, somewhat streamlined and it is the same fun I had on the PC version too with some tweaks. Basically almost everything the [GR] is!

Of course the most anticipated "sequel" to the PC version (nope I do not own a 360) was "Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter" which was great in every respect and played to this day but still just seems a little limited in its scope and capabilities, even though considering it is a Tom Clancy game which is surprising. I am not a big fan of the whole "jump to the future" warfighter concept as it may not even be implemented (FYI: The "Objective Force" warrior program already looks different than the concept presented by GRAW!) The game is solid though and they made an awesome attempt to keep it Ghost Recon, but did not quite hit the mark! (For example: If PC [GR] was a 100, then GRAW would be a 92)

The original GR will always be a classic. However, I was quite impressed with GRAW. Playing COOP online was a blast with TeamSpeak. I think most people are voting GR because it was the first in the series and really set the bar in terms of unique gameplay, tactics, and realism.

• 1 month later...

org gr for a couple of reaons.

1. matching haven with teh org. i rember spending 5-6 hours a night amtching my ###### off (back when i had dial up and a very very bad compuiter and on bord viedo card lol) sp, co-op and all that was allright for me but the fact that i wa sable to go in with my clan mates (and allies) and get into a match adn teh different ways of playing each map was great. its the main thing i miss fro m the time i quit palying gr competively.

2. its was the first game i ever played. it got me hooked into gameing. it introduced me to online gameing, and some of the people ive met though my online gameing has literly saved my life not to mention all of the international people iove met though gameing lol.