Disgusted.

dickie

I came across a video on a UK Forces site (along with a discussion about it), in it a US serviceman is shot whilst talking to some children. The gunman then takes a second shot as his comrades attempt to get him to safety.

What angered me more, was not so much the video (although I wasn't exactly chuffed with that either) but the comments from people living in the UK and USA who were condoning and praising the video and the act?! Then there are the comments (I presume from young kids, although I may be wrong, seeing as one of them turns out to be 24 in his profile) along the lines of "Cool! What gun was that?" etc. First of all, it is sick that these video's should be posted, but also that these people can then turn around and justify the attack on a serviceman who is out there defending their right to say these things?! What sort of crazy world do we live in? Also the ignorant comments from both sides, both bigoted, biased, and made for the most part by small, insecure kids safely tucked up in their nice home in the West behind a screen. :angry:

These people (using that word very loosely btw) are scum. If they hate our way of life so much, why aren't they out there fighting? The sniper who took the shot, whilst I wholeheartedly disagree with what he's fighting for, you can't deny he is actively out there fighting for what he believes in (misguided and twisted though it is, and forgetting the fact he could have easily killed one of those children). These idiots who then glorify the acts have no such excuse, they should be rounded up and shipped out and made to practice what they preach. Let's see how macho they are when they are attacking professional US and UK troops themselves. All they achieve is driving more young men in these countries to do this sort of thing, which is neither good for their victims, themselves when they get caught, or their country as a whole.

Sadly, as is always the way - whilst the insecure men, the cowards and the boys (politicians included there!) are at home stirring it up, the real men are out there facing the result. Sorry for the rant, I've just come off a 9 hour night shift and this has seriously ###### me off. I've posted the video below if anyone actually wants to see it, although I've tried to include enough so it's not necessary if you don't wish to see it.

Sniper attack on a US soldier (warning: disturbing and upsetting)

Good night.

:angry:

Unfortunately, the people of these times seem to be easily accustomed to violence. (I forget the exact word that describes that) We also have the media, and game industry to thank for a lot of that.

I have not seen the video or comments, nor wish to see them. I've seen videos like that before of people being shot, ect, and it makes me sick, no matter who's side they are fighting for. Oh! the word is "de-sensitized(sp?)" got it:)

Anywho, If it were me, I wouldn't even give people the option of seeing the video, as it just spreads it out more. People are drawn to bloodshed, no matter how disgusted they are by it.

I agree, I dont watch such things because it IS sickening. And comments by people (in probably any country), make it worse.

And are there no restrictions or moderation on stuff like that at YouTube?

"and game industry to thank for a lot of that."

I hope you dont mean something to the effect of - if I play Grand Theft Auto, that im going to go outside and shoot people with a .22, hijack a vehicle, or become a serial killer.

Edited by Foxtrot23

I am not condoning this violence at all, but humans have always found death and this sickeing stuff amusing. Think back to the romans, the people gathered in huge amounts and for fun watch a man be fed to the lions, or public hangings were familys would spend an afternoon. We should not be afraid or embarrassed to show things that go on in this world, they happen and it is apart of human mature. Some things humans do are not the greatest, sometimes embarrassing or dirty, but they are apart of our culture and world, so why should we be hiding that.

Alot of that was from my old Ancient history teacher, who supported and would always think of how life was back 10s of thousands of years ago. I guess he rubbed of on me. Let me say though I don't find that that disturbing. Yes an ally was killed, yes it was infront of kids and might make them grow up real quick and realize the type of enviroment theyre in and how brutal the people around them are, but its war, and they aren't any real rules, the 2 sides are surviving and trying to win at any means necessary, and an ally was the one who got killed. If this was a taliban or whatnot, would you feel different. Of course, because you and I support one side, while the other side supports theirs. I am not saying the taliban and the rebel forces in Iraq are right at all, because they aren;t, but view it from their point, they think their right, and they will fight for what they think is right, an example is hitler.

Basically, this is not something to be seen by a person who is afraid of seeing how savage humans can be, so avoid if your weak of heart, and are afraid of what your fellow human can do.

And to reply the person above, I heard this quote somewhere, if people did follow and emulate video games that closly, then anyone who played pac-man would be chasing pills and eating dots to kill ghosts. Something liek that, but now I fell that I ruined it

Edited by jeff1101

@Prozac - I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick about my post. I didn't post the video for the sake of posting the video, I made the post about the comments that had been left and the people who make such comments. Like I said before the link, I tried to include enough information about the video and the point I was making so that watching the video wasn't necessary, it was included more for completeness as it were - hence why it was at the end of the post.

As for moderators on YouTube, all they have is 'flag as inappropriate', which means a moderator looks at it and makes a decision within "24-48 hours".

What angered me more, was not so much the video (although I wasn't exactly chuffed with that either) but the comments from people living in the UK and USA who were condoning and praising the video and the act?!

Do what I do, just don't read the comments. It's the same at break.com - great site for videos, but my god, do not for any reason even think about reading the comments, on any movie. It's a real reality check for the many different types of people who have access to the internet, sadly.

I guess all those people will never know what the actual feeling of that is. Unless of course they are or have been in the military. Even all of here that haven't actually fought in a war can never truly even begin to describe what you feel think or do when there. Its like when someone's pet dies and that persons friend who never had a pet says I UNDERStand. YEah right how can he, he never lost a pet. same with this video. Bunch of people all safe and sound. Wonder what would happen if you stuck a rifle up there face. :devil:

Edited by Kakanater

Haven't seen the video, nor do I care to. The text in the OP tells me enough.

Folks in the US and UK had some praise for the shooter, huh? That is too bad, because the guy you say was shot took that bullet thinking (and hopefully he was right) that it was to give them the opportunity to say whatever it was they said about the video of his shooting.

Freedom isn't always a good thing, is it?

First of all, it is sick that these video's should be posted

Not trying to be awkward or anything but surely your post is very hypocritical?? :hmm:

I dont understand how you can call others sick for commenting on a video you feel shouldnt be posted then go ahead and post it yourself? No matter whether

"didn't post the video for the sake of posting the video, I made the post about the comments that had been left and the people who make such comments."
:ermm: Edited by MiNeRvA

about the video... I didnt see any red cloud but the guys movements would certainly indicate a hit... anyone else know if that guy died or not? if so RIP and may your killers he caught and caged like the animals they are.

those comments are some of the most ignorant things I've ever seen. I would love to see anyone who supports the terrorists given the oppurtunity to go over and join them. IT would definitely raise the world's average IQ

@jchung and Minerva - Yeah, it didn't need the link to the video, but as I said, it was included so you can see the comments for yourself if you so wish (i.e so it's clear the comments I talked about weren't out of context or exaggerated). That said, it was included more for 'source material' as it were - if I was writing an academic essay or paper, and made references/judgments/comments or expressed an opinion with reason about something, I would include it for reference, as is standard practice. That way it can be certain the conclusions I am drawing are unbiased and logical, for example if I hadn't, then should someone come along who disagreed (not that I'd expect such here, although you never know) and countered, or claimed that this was all untrue, then my source is out in the open for others to decide upon.

As for the hypocrisy comment, I made it clear the post was not about "Hey guys and gals! Look at this video!", it was about the comments and that such video's were posted, and presented in the way they are, and then commented upon in the way they are. Again, the link was there so if you needed further proof that such things were going on, then you could see for yourself. If I had just posted the OP without the link, someone looking for an argument could have come along and said something along the lines of "I've never come across such videos and find it hard to believe they are actually posted, or that people are stupid enough to say such things, now stop making such a mountain out of a molehill.", however with the link, everything is clear and above board. That's all I'm going to say there.

As Rocky said -- just don't read what people have to say at such sites. If you do read it, take it with a grain of salt. I have to remind myself on a daily basis that the world is full of sophomoric, loudmouthed idiots. The average person can't even seem to drive their vehicle down the road straight, much less have a clue about life. I just chalk up such people in the "You're not worth the time it would take me to kick your ass for being an imbecile" category.

As for the video... I hope the soldiers lived. If not, they died better men than the pubescent little boys who slander them on the internet ever will be.

Edited by Parabellum

Hey Dickie, I do understand why you posted the link, and just to clear the air (in case there is a misunderstanding) I'm not saying that what you did was absolutely wrong. I'm just saying that your post did not really NEED the link. That is all. I don't think you are a hypocrite, and I do understand why you felt the desire to share what you saw. :thumbsup:

great thing about the internet is you can actually talk to people....

youtube really wasnt made for that. Hard to talk to any one of them really.

--------------------------------------------------

I have reached out to anti-troop movements (okay Fthe troop movements) and chatted with a few people from there....

iv come to the conclusion what they say is not really what they beleive. Its somthing to vent frustration at current world events.

I singled out about 5 individuals who were in the group and wrote PMs to all.... All returned and said pretty much the same thing.

there not angry with the troops but the war itself. The adminstration etc....

I even went on to say I was planning to inlist soon they even wished me the best of luck... everyone of them.

intreasting? not in my eyes... It seems a large number of americans are unsure about the future and its just a little to much for them to take at times. Venting on websites seems to be one of the best ways althoe immature and they effect other people its the most common.

I even had one of the 5 say he would stop going to anti troop protests just to help the moral of the troops out.

okay I would love to go into that further but Theres lots to say about it. Very intreasting thoe once you open up a dialect with them.

From your description, you can bet I'll stay away from it... Besides, I've seen stuff like this before and I don't get off on watching people get killed... All you gotta do is turn on the tv news and it's there in your face every day, minus the gore footage, most of the time anyways...

As Rocky said -- just don't read what people have to say at such sites. If you do read it, take it with a grain of salt. I have to remind myself on a daily basis that the world is full of sophomoric, loudmouthed idiots. The average person can't even seem to drive their vehicle down the road straight, much less have a clue about life. I just chalk up such people in the "You're not worth the time it would take me to kick your ass for being an imbecile" category.

As for the video... I hope the soldiers lived. If not, they died better men than the pubescent little boys who slander them on the internet ever will be.

i agree with everything you said except for one thing. All idiots are worth my time if Im kicking their ass for stupidity.