Why GRIN and UBI got it all wrong....

Guys I agree with everything you have said, and you all make great points. Nice to see some intelligent conversation....that isn't nihilistic!!!!!!!!!

The other pblisher/game that will steal UBI's GRAW market? I think Armed Assault is defineatly one of them.

You have got to see this -the new video from Armed Assault - it is unbelieveable!!!!! w00t

I really think this is going to be THE game, especially with mods. Check out the new vids at www.armedassaultzone.com (smth like that,just google it)

It's [GR]....with better graphics, unlimited terrains and vehicles!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks to me so far like an MMOFPS. BF2 on crack, as it were. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get from the videos I've seen of it so far. AND it looks FAR from polished. Sorry, I'll not trade out the sweet SP and ADV MP game we have here for an untested lump that looks to be copycatting the unsatisfying experience of bunnyhoppers and torpedoes comprising the BF2 1337. I've learned my lesson and will implement it when SC:DA comes out. Watch the forums and learn from the folks who've bought it already before dropping my $55+ on it.

Not that I haven't enjoyed GRAW thoroughly. But that's just it. I HAVE enjoyed it THOROUGHLY, and it's barely 4 months on the shelf...

Still love GRiN for the awesome job they do for us...

Looks to me so far like an MMOFPS. BF2 on crack, as it were. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get from the videos I've seen of it so far. AND it looks FAR from polished. Sorry, I'll not trade out the sweet SP and ADV MP game we have here for an untested lump that looks to be copycatting the unsatisfying experience of bunnyhoppers and torpedoes comprising the BF2 1337. I've learned my lesson and will implement it when SC:DA comes out. Watch the forums and learn from the folks who've bought it already before dropping my $55+ on it.

Not that I haven't enjoyed GRAW thoroughly. But that's just it. I HAVE enjoyed it THOROUGHLY, and it's barely 4 months on the shelf...

Rabbi my brother, you keep comparing Armed Assault to BF2. Let me tell you, you could not be more wrong. Armed Assault is a follow up to Operation Flashpoint, which was way ahead of it's time, way before BF series even came out. And OFP is very proven. If you check out the OFP community, it is still going strong with great mods and servers. Talk about some serious coop action. Most of the mods from OFP will be compatible with AA, and the multiplayer will be more polished in AA than OFP. That is the only game that I am looking forward to this year.

Rabbi my brother, you keep comparing Armed Assault to BF2. Let me tell you, you could not be more wrong. Armed Assault is a follow up to Operation Flashpoint, which was way ahead of it's time, way before BF series even came out. And OFP is very proven. If you check out the OFP community, it is still going strong with great mods and servers. Talk about some serious coop action. Most of the mods from OFP will be compatible with AA, and the multiplayer will be more polished in AA than OFP. That is the only game that I am looking forward to this year.

I hear ya, and would like to believe that in the perfect world that could be true. But for all intents and purposes, GRAW was the follow-up (at least in practical terms) to [GR], and they're night and day (though I love GRAW nonetheless). I'd hope to be proven wrong here. I haven't looked into ArmA thoroughly, but I did go to the site and gander at some in-game videos. Looked to me like BF2 with AA graphics (IF that) and WoW-scale players. Might be trying TOO hard to go in the opposite direction of the consoles, whereas the PC developers for Lockdown and GRAW were limited by the publishers to make the games more consolish (is that a word?). But I hope to be proven VERY wrong about that game.

And in the meantime, AGAIN, I am anticipating SC:DA almost (but not quite) as much as I did GRAW.

The thing about AA is that it's going to be as far removed from [GR] as GR:AW is.

The thing wrong with it from my point of view is it's just TOO big. Vehicles, miles of landscape that will take an age to cover unless you get a lift or drive yourself.

I know thats what some people want but tbh some people moan [GR] was too big, ages spent covering ground between objectives etc, personally i felt, size wise it was just about right. My main hope is that AA will have smaller mods made that allow large open spaces but small enough not to need vehicles.

Edited by Dai-San

The thing about AA is that it's going to be as far removed from [GR] as GR:AW is.

The thing wrong with it from my point of view is it's just TOO big. Vehicles, miles of landscape that will take an age to cover unless you get a lift or drive yourself.

I know thats what some people want but tbh some people moan [GR] was too big, ages spent covering ground between objectives etc, personally i felt, size wise it was just about right. My main hope is that AA will have smaller mods made that allow large open spaces but small enough not to need vehicles.

That would be a must for something like the 3FL Infantry Only setup. As for [GR] maps being TOO big, I don't know about that. For the SP missions they were AWESOME. Some were a bit big for 5v5 or smaller, but that still just lent itself to forcing teams to act as such: TEAMS. Communication and such.

<<EDIT>>I wonder if the ArmA dev's have thought of a way to keep players from what they do in BFw with vehicles/aircraft, which is waiting in line for the equipment to respawn instead of getting out there and fighting the doggone battle...

I agree with you on this point. However, I guess it will depend on a mission, ie there could be a large scale one where you need to fly a chopper to get to a certain objective, while other missions will be infantry only. The beauty of it, the mission variety is endless.

Rabbi - for your own viewing pleasure PLEASE check out these mod site of original OFP:

www.ofpnam.com -u guessed it VietNOW!

www.ofp-sgc.com -Stargate MOD 1.3- beautifully done !

www.ballisticaddonstudios.com Basically Delta and Rangers and vehicles from "Black Hawk Down" - plus insurgence campaign which is brilliant!!!

www.operationflashpoint.filefront.com has a general gist of what's out there.

Unfortuneatly a lot of sites are gone or have bad links but you can see the amoubt of modding that has gone into OPF.....it truely is magnificent !!!!!!!!!

From CAS to SEALS, and Aircraft carryers to civilian aircraft, claymores , trip wires - you name it -someone's made it!

Maybe graphics aren't GRAW standard - But isn't is GREAT to see a game developed for it's concept and gameplay?

rather than it's Hollywood look-alike appeal.

Not that I'm not in love with launching a grenade that tears the world around me into beautifully shaded pixel heaven,screaming on teamspeak that I got the son of a b-iti-ch with the last snap of my M9 - that I keep locked and loaded..........................just in case. LOL.

any one who doubts AA must of not played OFP. =P

Coop for it map size doesnt matter really.

TVT can be setup like [GR] was with server side missions....

Dont want vehicles to respawn they wont...

Dont want people to leave a certain area ... they cant (alot like BF2)

its all defined by the person who created the mission.

Ritalin? You've GOT to be joking....

Vox's "got-the-shakes" fix all gumbo:

Put in blender:

100g Finest local horse tranquilisers

200 pure crystal meth

400g local Valum, fresh preferably

1L Jameson Whiskey,stolen perferably

8g pure base

Mix throughly for 3min or until the fumes make you dizzy.

Sip....try not to pass out and enjoy.

Try not to do this: :wall: As you may go :hehe: But you should feel like this :wacko: which should pass to this :blink: And then probably some of this :ph34r: Which will pass to leave you :rocky:

(For those special monday morning blues add some of your finest acid..makes the rain just melt away...literally)

any one who doubts AA must of not played OFP. =P

-agree totally!!

I've installed v1.30, Ive not played GRAW in weeks if not a month now. Ask anyone on my team (AOD)... I've just lost interest in it... I htink somone said it best back on the second page of this thread..that out of the box GR1 feeling is gone, I'd give almost anything for that. Im currently playing an older game nothing to do with shootin at all... back to NFSUG & in just 2 days I went though 111 races/tracks bought and pimped all cars...( RSX is my fav) and its still fun to do quick races. So.. whats next... probably DRAG RACING Main Event. This is what you do when you have no one to kill anymore or you retire....you race cars LOL. I'll keep watching the boards and talking to friends for the latest developments in the meantime you guys enjoy!

• 1 month later...

LOL with 2x GeForce 6800GT on SLi, [GR] is like a whole new game! BF2 actually looks like they put some effort into graphics after all (I know, bite my tongue). Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory AI's look almost like real people.

But is it worth the money? The vote is still out. It DID do wonders for GRAW though...

The good: The bad

Visuals Requires too much pc requirements

weapons some weapons SHOULD be in the inventory (M24 for anti-personnel)

sound crackling sounds in headphones(that i blame on creative)

explosions gameplay

maps and map features no rural maps, no brush

I just have alot of issues with the game.

did a little digging around the quick.bundle folder i unbundled sometime ago and found out there are weapon sounds for weapons we don't have. there's a PSG-1 sound folder but no weapon. would be great to check it out. added: also an H&K21. wierd.

Edited by Papa6

Good find. I hope we can get to see them soon - for MP that is.

Don't count on it. Those weapons don't have the highest LOD used for the FPS view, so no high poly version for the player, also they don't have the needed animations to put them at the corrent level infront of the player so the sights work. This is the reason why there are more weapons in the console versions, they didn't need to make the high detail LOD, which saves loads of time.

Here is why I think Grin and UBI got it all wrong....

After the disappointing effort from Grin, I reinstalled the [Ghost Recon] and played a few maps; here is my description of playing my favourite map, M02 Easy Smoke (nocturnal mission to rescue downed Pilots).

I have three teams. Essentially two fire teams and a sniper.

Its night – so I switch to night vision. Switch to Team C (sniper). I’m off across a ploughed field, scoping as I go. Uh-oh! tangos ahead. I’ve spotted them, they haven’t spotted me. I flank left, settle and switch to Recon mode. Switch to team A and follow the same path until I spot the tangos. Uh-oh – even more tangos than I thought! Flank right, settle and scope. Set Team C to suppress; and as Team A I open fire. Kill confirmed. They are all history.

Switch to Team C (Sniper). Head off towards the farmhouse (where the hostage pilot is) – scoping as I go. Arrive near farmhouse – its crawling with patrolling guards. Settle and scope facing side 1 of farmhouse. Switch to team A. Move up to side 2 of farmhouse in Recon mode, settle and make sure team is covering side 2. Switch to team B and haul them up to cover side 3. Switch between all teams to make sure tangos are in sight for all teams.

Finally switch to Team C (sniper) and hit “8†to let rip with all other teams…

Now that, dear reader, is what I recognise as Ghost Recon. :thumbsup:

Swift. Silent. Invisible.

Can you do that with AW? I don't think so.

Edited by OliverReed