Defend Coop OGR?

you don't really need a new gametype..it's just an [GR] COOP with AI behaving like in mission 3 when you have to defend the mex president in the embassy (I hope it's the right mission # ..)

AI moving to a specific point--->you kill 'em all---->mission over

...and you can also add a lot of eye candy-tactical fx (like smoke grenades fired from artillery to cover their assault :shifty: )

EDIT: forgot to add..

you need also an AI winning condition.. so AI in your base will trigger an area linked to an event like this:

<event name="AI_inbase">

<element type="GameOver" start_time="2.0"/>

</event>

Edited by DiGiTALY -TC-

rather than triggering on enemy platton complete death, maybe make it timed...or staggered, or the distance from where your zone is staggered.

That would make you make sure you kill the current wave of bad guys quickly, dont want him getting reinforcements. ;)

edit: this sounds like a job for harntrox. :)

Edited by fr1j0l3

I believe it is quite possible to spawn waves of enemy based on deaths or player/enemy locations. I am not at all sure if you can coax the mission over if an AI gets in your defense zone out of the current [GR] coop game type, but I woul dlove to be proven wrong. The one thing I have not seen any hope of doing is injecting any randomness into the spawning of the AI. In GR, defend has some replayability because you are not quite sure when/where the tangos will come from. If you can not do this in GRAW then replayability will be rather low.

I still have not seen a way to get any internal state into a script (e.g. counters, flags, etc...) doing anything more complex will be very difficult without these. Anyone else see/find anything like a counter yet?

you don't really need a new gametype..it's just an [GR] COOP with AI behaving like in mission 3 when you have to defend the mex president in the embassy (I hope it's the right mission # ..)

AI moving to a specific point--->you kill 'em all---->mission over

...and you can also add a lot of eye candy-tactical fx (like smoke grenades fired from artillery to cover their assault :shifty: )

EDIT: forgot to add..

you need also an AI winning condition.. so AI in your base will trigger an area linked to an event like this:

<event name="AI_inbase">

<element type="GameOver" start_time="2.0"/>

</event>

Yes, you can! You can add a trigger that executes another event when some or all soldiers in a group are dead.

This other event can then be spawn another group of soldiers, and issue them an order to move somewhere.

-GG

edit - sorry answered the wrong post :)

I believe it is quite possible to spawn waves of enemy based on deaths or player/enemy locations. I am not at all sure if you can coax the mission over if an AI gets in your defense zone out of the current [GR] coop game type, but I woul dlove to be proven wrong. The one thing I have not seen any hope of doing is injecting any randomness into the spawning of the AI. In GR, defend has some replayability because you are not quite sure when/where the tangos will come from. If you can not do this in GRAW then replayability will be rather low.

I still have not seen a way to get any internal state into a script (e.g. counters, flags, etc...) doing anything more complex will be very difficult without these. Anyone else see/find anything like a counter yet?

You can inject randomness through counting who goes where, and at what time. Not true random, but hard to distinguish. Or maybe place zones around the spawnpoints, i think players spawn at random. I know its a long way around... but its a way at least.

There are no internal counters as of now, maybe there can be an addon later, who knows, i don't.

-GG

Yes, you can! You can add a trigger that executes another event when some or all soldiers in a group are dead.

This other event can then be spawn another group of soldiers, and issue them an order to move somewhere.

-GG

edit - sorry answered the wrong post :)

Uhhh, were you trying to answer my questions... I'll ask them again since I do no see an answer here...

1. Can I detect when/if an AI actor reaches a zone in an GRAW [GR] coop map/mission and trigger based on that?
  2. Is there any ability to add randomness to an GRAW [GR] coop map/mission?
  3. is there any way for a map/mission to have internal state (e.g. flags, counters, etc...)?

And finally. Is there any hope of getting a reference manual (or even just a DTD) for the mission scripting XML?

We cant set randomness like you want but you could do something like this....

Place 3 or 4 areas close to eachother then which ever area was entered first would depend on which AI was spawned. So you would have an AI group spawn in a different place depending upon which are we triggered. Then when the first area gets triggered it would deactivate the others so they dont spawn enemys. You see what im saying? Its kinda hard for me to explain but it would definitly give randomness the AI's spawning and since we cant see the area triggers we wouldnt be able to duplicate it without having played the map alot. Just a thought!

IRISH STOUT is licking his lips... Defend was one of my favorite past times in [GR].. implmented here like what has been already said.. and wow..

What abut adding in Helo's and tanks.. imagine the potiential.. Platoons with Tanks and Helo's flying over head.. once you get ride of that first wave, all of a sudden the second wave starts.. maybe have them spawn out of Bunkers?

By the way.. I never talk about myself in the third person.. this tells you how much I would enjoy this...

Just read your post Postal as I was writting mine... even better.. have hotspots so to speak on the ground that trigger who gets sent first.. that would be cool, especially if the somewhat over lapped.. could have on group or many group coming... have these hotspots right near the spawn so that as peeople started to run for cover it would fire off the trigger?

i.e.

If Hotspot A is triggered first then A platoon sent, if last AI dead in Platoon A = B then B Platoon, if last AI dead in Platton A = C then C Platoon sent

If Hotspot B is triggered then B then A then C

If Hotspot A&B is triggered first then A& B Platoon then C platoon

Not sure if this is what you are saying but if so then the potiental is even larger then I thought..

Edited by IrishStout

You can inject randomness through counting who goes where, and at what time. Not true random, but hard to distinguish. Or maybe place zones around the spawnpoints, i think players spawn at random. I know its a long way around... but its a way at least.

There are no internal counters as of now, maybe there can be an addon later, who knows, i don't.

-GG

Nothing quite like crossing messages :)

The question about triggering based on AI location is still open.. I have not seen/found an example of that in any of the missions I have looked at.

The randomness thing is more of a problem.. You say I can "count who goes where"... But that is followed by explaining that we do not have counters (or I gather any type of internal variables other than block enabeling).. So i am left thinking that all I can do is trigger events based onplayer path... That is really not random looking at all after you have played a mission more than 3-4 times. We have worked hard to rework the vast majority of GR missions we play to eliminate this type of triggered behavior, or to at least mask them behind random timers. It really does increase replayability by a significant factor to do this.

Nothing quite like crossing messages :)

The question about triggering based on AI location is still open.. I have not seen/found an example of that in any of the missions I have looked at.

The randomness thing is more of a problem.. You say I can "count who goes where"... But that is followed by explaining that we do not have counters (or I gather any type of internal variables other than block enabeling).. So i am left thinking that all I can do is trigger events based onplayer path... That is really not random looking at all after you have played a mission more than 3-4 times. We have worked hard to rework the vast majority of GR missions we play to eliminate this type of triggered behavior, or to at least mask them behind random timers. It really does increase replayability by a significant factor to do this.

Without knowing what the future holds in add on's and such...im more looking for a way around the problems that you bring up. Sometimes there is more than one way to get the same result.

there are work arounds i think.

you can also set small area's ( a lot of them)

use the as mines, if you will

but i am just one with big fantasies :P

already done :shifty: but there's a little problem I'm still trying to figure out.. (grin scripters you know what I'm talkin about, I've already sucked the life out of the poor wille with an afternoon session full of questions)

thx for the tip geckogore, it's a perfect and functional workaround but cmon even desmond got randomness with the "weight" function for his sounds... the grin guys who do missions should really bash the grin guys who do scripts :P