7600GS & X1600 Users

FatmanDaz

Hi all,

I've been unable to play GRAW, right from the off, due to my gfx card; I currently have a 5950 Ultra.

Due to all the hoohah over playability, I have resisted an upgrade as I saw it as a potential waste of money!

Now that the 1.3 patch is out GRAW is starting to look like what most people wanted "out of the box". Once I get feedback from my clan (some of whom were original beta testers for GRAW) I may bite the bullet and finally buy GRAW! :D

Here's my question: My budget is effectively £100 for gfx and Overclockers are currently offering a BFG 7600GS with 512mb and a Radeon X1600 with 512mb, both at £100. These are AGP versions (which I need) and while both certainly meet the game specs I'd appreciate feedback from anyone that has these cards.

I've checked toms hardware and that would suggest the 7600GS is the better choice?

The rest of my spec is as follows:

AMD Sempron 2500

1 gig PC2700

Onboard sound ( gigabyte GA-7VAX mobo)

XP Pro sp2

I have used the search facility but haven't really discovered any topics that help me out. I appreciate these type of questions have been asked before but as even £100 is a big purchase for me I need to be sure, so all advice is welcome.

A friend is running a machine with a much lower overall spec, the difference is his 256mb 9800. It's not his main gamer but he can play GRAW "comfortably". So I'm hoping the rest of my spec, whilst nowhere near high end will see me through. But again any comments are welcome on the general spec.

However, I really can't afford any more budget so if my base machine isn't going to cut it with a new gfx card then I'm happy to carry on sitting out on the GRAW action rather than blowing what cash I have.

Thanks in advance. :D

get an X800/850 family card if you can find it in the UK..or look at ebay uk for a nice used one.....of the two cards listed i believe the 7600 may be a bit better than the 1600....however please look at toms vga charts to see how vastly superior the X800/850 are to either you are considering

OOPs I just checked the charts myself....the 7600GS clocked at 450/800 is superior to the X1600pro...and not too too far behind the X800gto...the slowest X800/850 family card there is....

Edited by Stealth-IRA

When judging cards also always look at the ram type. DDR3 256 for example will beat a DDR2 512 most of the time.

Both of these cards are DDR2, so no benefit there.

As I'm stuck to AGP there's little in the way of new cards for me. I can throw a Radeon 800 into the mix for the same cost, but that's only 256mb. The 512mb appealed as that's a neccesity for high level graphics settings in GRAW, which might be nice in SP.

To be honest I don't have the patience for Ebay. I have been looking since I discovered the 5950U was no good but people seem prepared to bid insane money for cards, some even eclipsing new retail prices for the same cards!!

Thanks for the comments so far.......

Bump!

I've stumbled across an X850 Pro 256m DDR3, from connect 3D.

From the comments above and tomshardware it's definately better than my previous 2 options and at £110 it's still affordable.

Here's the catch; having read inital very good reviews I came across dozens of people with the same issue - after installation all they get is a black screen, most not even being able to get the bios prompt.

Whilst the general suggestion was that this indicated a hardware issue rather than drivers, almost all problems were experienced when upgrading from Nvidia. Apparently even after clean installs i.e removing all trace of previous drivers.

Does anyone actually have this card and have they ever witnessed this issue?

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-7VAX but from what I can tell this problem spans just about every mainstream mobo brand.

I also have a 580 watt Hiper Type R PSU, so I wont have problems with lack of power.

Thanks again!

Edited by FatmanDaz

You can get ALOT more card than that 850 for 110.00. You need to do some searching. I just picked up a pair of 7600GS PCIE for ~88.00 each. I'm going to run them in SLI for the performance boost. I would most definitely check around. Look at www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com or www.mwave.com

I would NOT buy an 850 for that kind of money. It's ancient hardware compared to the 7 series of nividia or even a x1400 or x1600.

You can get ALOT more card than that 850 for 110.00. You need to do some searching. I just picked up a pair of 7600GS PCIE for ~88.00 each. I'm going to run them in SLI for the performance boost. I would most definitely check around. Look at www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com or www.mwave.com

I would NOT buy an 850 for that kind of money. It's ancient hardware compared to the 7 series of nividia or even a x1400 or x1600.

My problem is I need AGP and there's very little available to me.

I've spent weeks searching for a card and there's nothing with any balls for under £100. And while I appreciate that the X850 is older technology every performance indication shows that it massively out performs all of the x1600 and 7 series cards in my price range.

Tom's hardware had a good review of AGP cards so if you want to compare performance check that out. One of the best was the 7600. But if you like ati you can get the x1600 for around the same price (under 150 around 130 depending on the mfg). Again I would recommend the newer chipsets as that they support more features like Pixel shader 2 or 3 and other new techologies that the 850 simply doesn't.

Tom's hardware had a good review of AGP cards so if you want to compare performance check that out. One of the best was the 7600. But if you like ati you can get the x1600 for around the same price (under 150 around 130 depending on the mfg). Again I would recommend the newer chipsets as that they support more features like Pixel shader 2 or 3 and other new techologies that the 850 simply doesn't.

I appreciate the input but is one of us missing something?

As already stated, i have used toms hardware to evaluate potential cards and the X850 clearly outperforms both the X1600 series and the GS7600 series.

Also, the X850 is shader 3 compliant, if it wasn't it wouldn't play GRAW and I have seen first hand evidence that GRAW plays on these cards.

I really appreciate the feedback as I'm not the most technically minded but everything I've read so far tells me the 850 is the route to go, for my price range in the UK.

Bump!

Just thought I'd update you, after the time you took to advise. :)

I ended up getting the BFG 7600GS 512mb DDR2 (AGP flavour). This was because I couldn't get an X850 anywhere, no-one had stock and silly lead-times were being quoted. :(

Any road up, my spec is:

Gigabyte GA-7VAX mobo

AMD Sempron 2500

1gb Crucial PC2700 looking to add another 512 / 1gig at some point

Maxtor Diamondmax 9 80 gig HD need more space as the pron is taking over! :shifty:

BFG 7600GS 512mb

Unknown 2.1 sound card

Hiper Type R 580w PSU

Win XP Pro SP2

I don't have fraps ( but will get it) so i don't know what my frame rates are yet. I have all settings on medium and resolution is currently at 1024 x 768.

Having tried to play SP ( I'm getting killed far too regularly) and getting my ###### handed to me on TuG's Team deatmatch server, I am unbelievably impressed with performance so far!

The graphics are beyond my expectations & I'm currently getting no lag or stutter. I know I haven't encountered any serious firefights yet but what the heck!

First impressions are great and I will not be put off by any issues, I will simply try to overcome them!

This is a damn good game with huge potential!!!! w00t

Edited by FatmanDaz

Installed fraps and with setings mostly medium, shadows on low, resolution at 800 x 600. I'm geting mid 30's upto high 40's with normal activity i.e lots of gunfire & nades.

I've now tried various servers running HH, Dom, Siege & Deathmatch and all have been enjoyable!!!

Glad I hung around to get this game on my pc. :D

Installed fraps and with setings mostly medium, shadows on low, resolution at 800 x 600. I'm geting mid 30's upto high 40's with normal activity i.e lots of gunfire & nades.

I've now tried various servers running HH, Dom, Siege & Deathmatch and all have been enjoyable!!!

Glad I hung around to get this game on my pc. :D

Turn shadows off and you can do 1024x768. Shadows puts a high load on the system even on low.

It's a fun game once you get your hardware up where you can play it.

Bump!

Just thought I'd update you, after the time you took to advise. :)

I ended up getting the BFG 7600GS 512mb DDR2 (AGP flavour). This was because I couldn't get an X850 anywhere, no-one had stock and silly lead-times were being quoted. :(

Any road up, my spec is:

Gigabyte GA-7VAX mobo

AMD Sempron 2500

1gb Crucial PC2700 looking to add another 512 / 1gig at some point

Maxtor Diamondmax 9 80 gig HD need more space as the pron is taking over! :shifty:

BFG 7600GS 512mb

Unknown 2.1 sound card

Hiper Type R 580w PSU

Win XP Pro SP2

I don't have fraps ( but will get it) so i don't know what my frame rates are yet. I have all settings on medium and resolution is currently at 1024 x 768.

Having tried to play SP ( I'm getting killed far too regularly) and getting my ###### handed to me on TuG's Team deatmatch server, I am unbelievably impressed with performance so far!

The graphics are beyond my expectations & I'm currently getting no lag or stutter. I know I haven't encountered any serious firefights yet but what the heck!

First impressions are great and I will not be put off by any issues, I will simply try to overcome them!

This is a damn good game with huge potential!!!! w00t

I't nice to see you enjoy it, if you want to play online visit the KFORF server (EU times) maybe you'll see me and I can help you a bit in not getting killed to soon (see lot's of people get owned and leave after one game....)

Don't give up like that, even if you get owned you can learn and improve, all i did for starts was stick close to one of the better players, watch his back and see how he goes about.... (but don't stick too long for someone might be annoyed...lol) It really is a fun game.