DS files crashing - regularly.

FI_FlimFlam

Our dedicated server keeps crashing and thanks to GRIN there is no longer a crash log to look at.

It has crashed 3 times while in the lobby waiting for people to ready up. It is [GR] Recon mode one that I ran TONS for several days in a row during the beta. Now it will not stay up for more than couple of full map cycles.

This is rediculous. I have had to launch the server from a DOS bat file with a restart loop to bring it back up should it crash.

GRIN please pull this patch until you get this fixed. What ever changes you made to the SADS files have made them 1000% less stable. You are in for some major headaches unless you do something quickly.

I don't believe it was a joke. Alot of stuff was ironed out during the process. This however isn't a good thing. They made changes with minimal internal testing after the 1.30a (that's what I'm calling) beta patch before releasing 1.30b (official). Now whatever they did has cut down on the server stability. At least the server doesn't lock up. Since it's crashing it CAN be restarted automatically by my workaround.

The oddest thing was when they crashed. It was in the Lobby before the round started. We were all chatting waiting on everyone to ready up and BOOM. down goes the server. One odd thing was it seemed to happen immediately after a player left.

Of course we don't have any logging whatsoever now to even guess at what is causing it.

I don't believe it was a joke. Alot of stuff was ironed out during the process. This however isn't a good thing. They made changes with minimal internal testing after the 1.30a (that's what I'm calling) beta patch before releasing 1.30b (official). Now whatever they did has cut down on the server stability. At least the server doesn't lock up. Since it's crashing it CAN be restarted automatically by my workaround.

Yeah i was on Flim flams server when it crashed. God this crap sucks with disconnections.

Gamespy is retarded anyway in my honest opinion.

On another thread there's a script to use for making a restart script for Graw

open notepad and insert the code in the quote and save as GRAW dedicated restart script.bat or whatever.

@echo off

:restart

GRAW-standalone.exe

goto restart

not my brain work making this but a good piece of work anyway and credit goes to it's originator NOT ME

Cheers!

Papa6

Edited by Papa6

I'm narrowing down the condition of the crash. Looks to be happening in a full server after map change. In my best estimation, I am noticing that the server let more people join than there were slots. So it gets confused and crashes. In the beta testing it was very hard to cordinate more than a handful of people. Due to the lack of structure in the testing process, we NEVER filled up a server to capacity so this condition was never thought of or tested.

Since there seems to be no logging of either crashes or basic server information such as incomming or established client connection I don't think this can be proven any way. However we have been filling up to 12 slots continuously all afternoon and night until it crashes - always full when it does so far and when we join the lobby I notice more people connecting messages - hence my guess at the overfilling the server.

GRIN give us some reporting/logging tools so we can help you out with this.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

I haven't played with the GRAW Dedi Server, but I've had servers from other games that would crash about once a day. Not that annoying, unless you're not at a computer and can't fix it.

I used a tool called Fire Daemon that would basically install the servers as a service, and if it crashed it would automatically restart 10 seconds later with no human interaction required.

YMMV....

That's what I did fresh xmls. I have a batch file restarting the server. The only thing that hasn't happened again is a full server and then seeing more ppl joining messages. I/we could verify/trouble shoot this if a halfway decent server activity log was provided. For the record, it hasn't crashed since the last time it was full. It's been through several map cycles since then but none at capacity. We're averaging about 8 with up to 10 players the last couple of hours.