Automatically download custom maps!

tom43491

There needs to be a system implemented to be able to download a map from the server if you don't have the map. ANY game that supports custom maps NEEDS to have it, and most do. It is ridiculous not to. Requiring people to CONSTANLY search for new maps all over the place and keep up with updating them just to be able to play on a server is stupid, and will only turn people away from custom maps. I myself have made two rather nice maps, but I havent even bothered releasing them because the whole thing is such a pain in the @$$. We HAVE to have automatic downloading! :wall:

Other than this issue and the lack of dedi server files/ admin tools, great game GRIN!

This issue is a dead horse. It's been discussed over and over and over again. Some are all for it, and some are against it. The folks at GRiN have read all the pros and cons as expressed by the community, cuz they're some kickass developers, and I'd be willing to bet they've addressed some or all of the community's concerns in this regard in the forthcoming multiplayer pack #3.

Though I can't say anything for certain one way or the other (not that Ubisoft has a NDA on the BETA or anything, being that it WAS an open BETA, but the folks here in this community seem to think it should be regarded as a United States of Ghost Recon national secret), I'd at least ask that you have a good hard look at the MP#3 when it comes out and then address this thread again.

See what Santa GRiN has up his sleeve...

:unsure: GR did'nt have auto map load from server and we all managed with that for so long :thumbsup:

and there are a hell of a lot more mods out there for GR and not just maps. I hope that there will be as many for GRAW. I am already encoreged my the the modding being done in the community at the mo. IMO i would not want an auto map loader. :nono:

Though I can't say anything for certain one way or the other (not that Ubisoft has a NDA on the BETA or anything, being that it WAS an open BETA, but the folks here in this community seem to think it should be regarded as a United States of Ghost Recon national secret)

:clapping: best quote of the day!

You'll be happier with what's coming, although it might not be perfect, it's definitely a huge step forward.

:unsure: GR did'nt have auto map load from server and we all managed with that for so long :thumbsup:

and there are a hell of a lot more mods out there for GR and not just maps. I hope that there will be as many for GRAW. I am already encoreged my the the modding being done in the community at the mo. IMO i would not want an auto map loader. :nono:

What Hammer said, I totally agree with, [GR] never had it and it became a classic and everyone managed. We have a bunch of ####### these days whom want their food spoon fed into there mouths.

All you need is to know the current map list on the server and where to d/l it from... my 2c

Wink Wink, Nudge, Nudge, Rabbi... ;) I could be wrong but you post really makes me happy! Thanks as those of us not in the beta (I was too lazy to get in on it, damnit) do suffer from an information vacuum...

I say again, OPEN BETA.

(I think I'm putting my very life at risk saying that in THIS crowd though...)

What Hammer said, I totally agree with, [GR] never had it and it became a classic and everyone managed. We have a bunch of ####### these days whom want their food spoon fed into there mouths.

All you need is to know the current map list on the server and where to d/l it from... my 2c

It always cracks me up to an extent just how absolutely locked into [GR] people here are. Most who do, often refuse to look beyond [GR]'s MP features/administration. The technology and design in administration of [GR] is nearly 3 and a half years old and they still want new games to be exactly like it. Most modern games that have any kind of multiplayer component have moved beyone the very limited abilities that [GR] has. Yet when you ask for something that has become the defacto standard for just about every MP game that is being produced, you get several people here saying "well [GR] didn't have it". Come on people, times have changed and with things like the proliferation of higher speed internet access and the number of people playing online that has increased exponentionally since [GR] was released, the MP gaming environment IS different. It makes absolutely no sense to cry "[GR] didn't have it" and claim the people are babies wanting to be "spoon fed" when all they are asking for is what MANY MANY other newer games offer. Many here refuse to accept a feature that would benefit many players just for the simple reason [GR] didn't have it. Just becasue a game who's design process started 4 to 5 years ago is missing a feature that some other modern game has doesn't make that feature inherently a bad idea. It's pretty sad and one of the BIGGEST things holding this community and series back.

It's a different mulitplayer world out there and other games have raised the standard for players in regards to MP features and server hosting (I'm not talking in any form about gameplay mechanics). Why can't some of you see or accept that? [GR] and the way it handled things IS outdated and no longer considered ideal for many many people. It was painfully obvious when RSE (the designers of [GR]) tried to do the same with Lockdown and now GRIN did the similar with GRAW. Look at the backlash there was for SADS for remote hosting. Back when [GR] was release it was much much more difficult for people to host or afford to host games. Now it's cheap, simple, and easy for many people to rent a server or colocate a server - provided the game they want to play allows for it. Games that do not offer that ability out of the box suffer immediately just like LD an GRAW did regardless of the gameplay. It's time to move past what was 5 years ago to what is the standard now.

Maybe you just want any GR game to be stuck in a timewarp or not be appealing to more players. Perhaps you want it to be MORE difficult or inconvient to players. Kind of like an "old school" badge of honor that you got this far in playing or hosting a ghost recon game unlike those silly unreal engine, or source engine games that "spoon feed" gamers. :wall:

Edited by FI_FlimFlam